How far , how soon are you walking post TKR?

Posted , 13 users are following.

2weeks now after TKR. Pain is constant I am wondering if I am pushing myself too hard on walking. Today I walked into town and back, about 3k . Have been building up. Is this average or do I need to up or down the distance. 

1 like, 69 replies

69 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Wow, I'm 3 weeks post op (1 full week in hospital).  I have been out and about but I think you might be overdoing it. I am 48 and very driven to get my full range with my new knee (that I have not had for years due to injury). You have to allow all the soft tissue to heal and the swelling to come down.  I had a complete hip replacement just over 3 months ago and over did my recovery with that one. Now with my complete knee replacement (same side) I will not over do it. I have come to realize this new knee will take time. You have to push yourself but not too much where the swelling will then prohibit you from PT. You have to listen to your body which I have to always train myself to do so I don't set myself back.

• Posted

Wow Heidi you have been through a lot. Thank you for the advice. I'm 54 so still relatively youngish I think after chatting today on this forum it's time to have a rethink. My mum was pushing me a bit to get out and about so I didn't feel sorry for myself. Luckily I have finished my christmas shopping so maybe it's time to sort myself out. 

Hope your recovery is going well are you having the other side done as well?

• Posted

In a lot of things your mums advice is good, but with this operation not so much.

You have had major surgery, and your body has had trauma. My doctor says, when you don't think you are doing enough, look at your knee and think JACKHAMMER.

In this case, it's time to feel sorry for yourself.

Caz -I'm 65

• Posted

Hi Heidi,

You really have been through a lot! I'm curious about your hip replacement - did you have groin pain? I thought my arthritic knee and my body being out of alignment was causing the groin pain, but after my TKR ( 19 weeks ago today) the groin pain is back, so now I'm thinking it may be my hip.

Are you glad you had your hip replaced? Which surgery was the most difficult?

Thank you Heidi and take care - Betty

• Posted

Hope  you appointment went well.  I do think it's important to get up and go but I have to tell myself that the range is important. The strength of leg, get my bend and then straight knee which with a swollen knee takes time.

Because I waited so long -- too long to get my knee replaced (I was always told wait until your 50) I wore my hip out and just about my left which needs to be replaced as well.  I also have osteoarthritis which deteriorates the joints.  Which has not helped.  My left knee is ok for now.

Take it easy. smile

• Posted

Thank you Heidi. Appointment went really well. No pain just a tiny bit of soreness. Physio said I need to work more on my bends
    • Posted

Hi Betty,

Oh yes I did and on the inside of the joint.  Nights were hell, I think I am up now with my post op TKR I was up even more with my hip and knee at night.  I'm in the US, here my surgeon had to replace the hip before my nasty collasped knee. 

I am so happy with the result, night and day.  I have a 10 and 15 year old and we are all very active.  It got to the point where the quality of my life was suffering and I was not joining in.  The hip was an easier recovery.  Now granted I am only 3 weeks post op which I know is a hard time for TKR patients.  With the new hip it was hard but then it got so much more easier quickly. I can't describe it.  Now after my knee heals and I work the PT properly I am hoping to completely pain free on my right side and have a normal walk.  One thing I did learn is waiting when a joint should be replaced affects the other joints in a negative way. 

Perhaps you should get an Xray on your hip.

Good luck.  Heidi

• Posted

Hi Heidi

Where in the US are you? I'm also in the US (California) You are so young to be having so many problems with arthritis sad

I'm so sorry, but you have been pro active and obviously are doing everything you can to get your active life back. Good for you!

I plan to get x rays next month when I see my surgeon at the 6 month mark ( for my TKR) The groin pain is so disheartening as I had hope the TKR would have resolved it. 

Good luck to you Heidi and take care of yourself! Betty

• Posted

Betty....a few months after my tkr revision (replaced original tkr) I started having groin pain. My ortho sent me to the spine center ( pain managent). They did an MRI finding stenosis in the L4, L-5 causing a severely pinched nerve that caused the groin pain plus nerve was pinched causing pain in leg, ankle and foot. I've been at this for over 12 years since a rare tumor ate my knee up. 9 surgeries, radiation, broken femur and staph + radiation. I am also in the US and probably older than you. I got started at age 65.
    • Posted

Oh that's awful, you have been through so much! That's also a little scary to think my groin pain could be worse than I may think. I also get pain in my shin and foot but just figured my body was riddled with arthritis and not much I can do about it.

I'm keeping your post for reference and to show my doctor. Thank you for sharing it. How do you feel today ( 12 years later?) were the surgeries worth it ? Did the surgeries & radiation help? Why did you have to have your first TKR done?? 

I'm 67 BTW. I don't think you are much older. Take care and thank you for all your informative posts I've read over the past 4 months. You are certainly an authority on the subject! Betty

• Posted

Hi Betty,

I live in Mass (an island off the coast actually).  Ya I know I am young for all this and it started years ago.  I don't want to soud like it's nothing but it's been ok really. It has slowed me down in the last few years but I got fed up and decided to make the change and not wait.  I'm so glad I did.  Like I said, the hip went well and I now have so much relief I can't believe it.  Now with that surgery it is more invasive I believe as your under twice as long and you lose a lot of blood.  Which I did and it really wipes you out. But it was still easier than this TKR.

Glad you're getting an xray next month as that will show what's going on in your hip joint.

These operations are tough (I lose out on $$ from work, etc.) but in the long run our quality of life is restored.  And I have faith when I am alot older I will be running around without restrictions.

You take care too and good luck.  If you need a hip replacement don't hesitate to ask me any questions. My father-in-law lives out there in Santa Rancho Margarita and has several friends with either hip or knee replacements.

• Posted

I had absolutely no option. I had/have PVNS, a nonmalignant tumor that had been working on my joint for who knows how long. One day it hemmoraged and the medical tour began. Its rare but unbelievably painful an can't be completely eradicated. I've also had radiation which burned the tissue rather severely. Glad it held off till I was older as I traveled for a living and would have had to retire young and broke. The way it was, I was able to finish my work life and am o.k.
    • Posted

Comes from my answer when asked how I'm doing....the answer: old, fat and poor. It kind of stuck.
  • Posted

Hi!

I'm 58 and was told by my physio to potter about the house for the first two weeks and then start walking outdoors building a daily walk up gradually to 20 minutes a day. At 6 weeks tomorrow I have only just made it as far as you by using two sticks! Try to listen to your body because if I try to do too much I "pay for it" for a day or so, as I feel awful and my knee swells up and is very painful too! This TKR business is a long haul and from what I gather from my physio I'll need to be patient for a good 6 to 12 months!

Good luck with those staples!

• Posted

Hi Glenda my physio seems to be on the line of build up gradually. Too much and the worse that happens is the swelling and the pain which may put you off next time and leave you exhausted.

the actual knee mechanics are strong just the muscles around have to support the knee and they need the bending exercises.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.