How far , how soon are you walking post TKR?

Posted , 13 users are following.

2weeks now after TKR. Pain is constant I am wondering if I am pushing myself too hard on walking. Today I walked into town and back, about 3k . Have been building up. Is this average or do I need to up or down the distance. 

1 like, 69 replies

69 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I am 10 and 6 weeks after two TKR when I was 8 and 4 I decided I would push myself and started walking more. I told my physio I had walked 2 km and he had a fit. said it was too much. I ignored that and kept walking. Did 4.4 the other day, but was sore and tired afterwords. Had an appt with surgeon and told him I'd walked 4.4 km. He raised his eyebrows and said that's rather a long way but I am happy for you to do that. I had to rest the next day and then did 3km uphill. That was yesterday. I have been totally knackered today. not really sore just exhausted and grumpy. So I am going to do 2 km walks on the flat twice a day for a while.I really want to get fit to go back to work but it can't be rushed. i am 57 and overweight.
  • Posted

2 weeks post op - you are really pushing it. Id recommend you cut back to 1Km and build up gradually. Id say your about 4 weeks ahead. You have raw muscle repairing itself and adjusting to the foreign object in your leg. Talke your painkillers on time and not when needed. Im 8 + 5 and can do 1 -2  miles now and I went into the op very fit  with gym work
  • Posted

I can walk about 2km 11 weeks after TKR  I  am now gong to a physio supervised gym (exercise referal scheme)  and being told off, not to over do the exercise she gives me says its like you are on 3 tablets a day and you take 6!!! .also my GP says its a major op will take 6-12 months to recover properly. so happy to be able to drive localy but painful after 30 min ,Take it easy !!!!
  • Posted

We'll I went expecting the worst and had the best. No problem with the staples coming out just two little twinges. Physios said I need to build up my walks steadily but not overly concerned apart from the fact of the swelling and exhaustion. They said the wound was one of the healthiest they'd seen.

i am chuffed and relieved 

thanks everyone

• Posted

I am five days and just home so couldn't imagine going that distance at 2 weeks!
    • Posted

Yes was a bit OTT. They said I should build up a bit more till I get to that stage
    • Posted

I didnt walk outside for 4 weeks but plenty around the house. I did exercises and stairs. Changed from cruthces to sticks at 18 days and got rid of the sticks at 30 days.So after 4 weeks I started to walk in the local shopping mall with a coffee stop. I have built up the distance. The shopping mall is dry, flat and during the week not too crowded. I am now walking on my own quite long distences
    • Posted

Ooh that's brave I wasn't planning getting rid of e crutches till 6weeks
  • Posted

My wound is seeping a bit I'm hoping that's ok
    • Posted

Are your sutures/staples out. If its a small amount put a sterile dressing on and contact the community nurse through the GP
  • Posted

I'd get back to your surgery and get them to have a look at your knee but meanwhile cover it up with a sterile dressing as best to be careful. As you'll see from my post complete with photo, my wound sort of came apart slightly but a quick visit back to the nurse who steri stripped it soon fixed it! Take care. Glenda
    • Posted

Oooooo Glenda. Hope it's sorted itself out now. Last night I had different types of knee pain but I guess that's because the knee is a bit looser now the staples are out. And the wound is self supporting. Settled down a bit now.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.