How far , how soon are you walking post TKR?

Posted , 13 users are following.

2weeks now after TKR. Pain is constant I am wondering if I am pushing myself too hard on walking. Today I walked into town and back, about 3k . Have been building up. Is this average or do I need to up or down the distance. 

1 like, 69 replies

69 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Seems to have sorted itself out now. Thank you
  • Posted

Has anyone else suffered from flaky skin on operated knee. Have been having stand washes and put E45 on afterwards.but last night it was horrible
    • Posted

Yes, I had that. I massaged baby oil into it. Looked horrid though.

Caz

• Posted

Depending on the protocol, I'm sure they used a high powered sterilization liquid, that nasty looking brown stuff, just prior to making the incision. It not only disinfects the skin bit really dries it out as well. In a short time it will all go away. I used a rather thick over the counter vit E oil. It will also soften And help heal the wound. You need to massage it in deeply which is a little uncomfotable on the tender scar but no problem on the surrounding tissue. Its just another of the seemingly never ending phenomena that the docs never discuss pre op.
    • Posted

They used a bright red sterilisation liquid on me. My leg and foot was magenta for ages.

Has anyone else had this sudden stabbing pain in the back of the knee? I had it for the first time this afternoon, it only lasted a second but it nearly brought me down.

Caz 10 weeks post TKR Australia

• Posted

Yes Caz I had the pink leg and some pains behind the knee. It feels like I have tight cord tried around my knee and every now and again a short sharp stabbing feeling. 

Wound today is also quite painful

• Posted

The tight band feeling is mentioned on here quite a lot. The stabbing pain must be all part of the healing. That's what's so good about this site, you never have to worry that things are only happening to you. The tight band is loosening this week by the way Soobeedoo.

My wound used to get very sore too. But you said that your is werping so I think you should get that checked out.

Caz

• Posted

I think it's a result of staples coming out yesterday. See how it goes. Love this forum have had my mind put to rest so many times
    • Posted

How soon did you start massaging the oil in after the op ?
    • Posted

After the stitches were removed and the last of the drainage stopped. I would recall it to be 2-3 weeks post op. The oil came in a small heavy glass bottle with rounded edges and I used that to rub it in. It increased the pressure by several times and was much more effective than my own finger tips. I was looking for a tall Swedish girl about 23 to do it but my wife said medicare wouldn't pay for it ..........which was the lesser of the two reasons she rendered. The other had something to do with my becoming permanently disabled in other areas.
    • Posted

Aha I do sports massage but can't take it easily. But I will try it in a few days time. Thank you
    • Posted

Ain't it the truth.......

Its morning in the US and the minute I hit the floor my weather forecasting knee tells me a major barometer change  is 48 hrs or less away. Think I better make sure I know where my rain gear is stored.

• Posted

Me again! Just got back from my first dip in the local pool to celebrate 6 weeks post op today! Managed 20 mins in pool exercising and did a bit of swimming using freestyle for legs, breast stroke for arms! Really enjoyed it and I'll go again!

After my clip removal I was advised to really massage in firmly E45 cream or Bio oil and as my leg resembled a dried out old piece of pork I invested in both and have been applying it a couple of times a day! My physio said to really knead the wound and area to help break down scar tissue, not for the appearance, but to help movement!

• Posted

That's brilliant Glenda well done. Can't wait to go swimming again.

good tips about scar tissue thank you

• Posted

Great news Glenda, I'm crazy really because we have a pool, I just don't use it anymore, we keep it lovely and blue, I'll have to start again.

Caz - 10 weeks post TKR Australia

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.