How I Beat Pityriasis Rosea in 2 Weeks- Tips!

Posted , 43 users are following.

Hi Guys!

If you're reading this, you must have been diagnosed with pityriasis rosea. If you're anything like me, you've probably spent the last few days obsessively reading about it on the web. If you're disappointed by what you've seen (the rash lasting for years, being super painful, etc) then keep on reading! I managed to clear mine up by 90% within the first two weeks of having it.

The day before I noticed the rash, I thought I had a stomach flu. I had just come off a month-long cold and was feeling so nauseous I threw up multiple times. This is part of the virus- it's normal to feel sick in some way before its appearance. My manifestation was like the flu- aches, vomiting, etc. The next morning, I woke up and found myself covered in little spots. I had noticed a few on my back the night before, but I figured they were just bites of some sort. When I looked in the mirror the next morning, however, I was horrified- they were all around my stomach and my back and they were super itchy. I immediately went to the clinic, where I spent the next few hours basically watching the rash spread down my arms. When I finally saw a doctor, they had no clue what it was- they told me it was either Hand, Foot and Mouth disease or chicken pox. They sent me to a dermatologist to be sure so off I went.

Within 10 seconds she diagnosed me with pityriasis rosea. DISCLAIMER: she said I had an atypical case. I had no herald patch (although in the next few days I would develop 4-5 hearld patch looking spots) and the rash had come on super quickly. Relieved it wasn't chicken pox, I asked her how long it would last- and she told me MONTHS. At this point I basically wanted to die and I left her office holding back tears. When I got home, I literally spent the next 48 hours alternating between crying and looking up this awful rash. What I saw stressed me out even more- people saying their rash had lasted years, spread to their faces, was ruining their lives, etc. What I noticed, however, was that many of these people had put off seeing a doctor or had gotten misdiagnosed. I figured that my best chance of beating this thing was treating it as quickly and aggressively as possible.

Let me just say- I had one of the worst cases I've read about. By the fourth day I was literally covered from the top of my neck down to my toes. Nothing was spared- not my feet, not my hands, not my scalp, not my 'lady parts' and i even had some on the inside of my mouth. I was literally polka-dotted with these big, blotchy red things. It was also EXTREMELY itchy, I wanted to crawl out of my skin and I could barely sleep. It was so depressing that I couldn't even look in the mirror. Honestly, I don't think you can understand how bad this makes you feel until you have it yourself. I could hardly look at myself without crying.

That first night, however, I had to do something (I couldn't just sit around and watch it get worse!) so I went out and bought my first weapon: Head and Shoulders Clinical Strength shampoo (blue bottle, orange liquid). I applied it dry on my body 1-2 times a day and rinsed it off in the shower about 10 minutes after.  After a few days of this I just used it as a body wash, although I would let it sit for about 5 minutes before washing it off. This would temporarily make the rash bright red which was kind of depressing, but it would also stop the itching for a while and by the next day the rash was already starting to look better.

Then it was on to the second step. I had read so much about tanning being a miracle cure that I decided, against my anti-tanning bed morals, to give it a shot. Of course my dermatologist advised me not to (which doctor would??) but I refused to live with this rash for the next several months. Over the next week and a half I went every second day- starting at first with 5 minutes in the lowest UV ray bed and gradually going up to 6 minutes on a medium bed. The rash would be extra itchy and red immediately after tanning, but by the second visit I noticed an improvement. I honestly think that this is what helped me the most.

Third attack- I applied Zinc Oxide 40% to my body every night. It can be found as a diaper rash cream. I honestly don't know if this worked, but it helped with the itching and also made my skin look paler, which in turn made the rash look better which helped my stress levels.

NOTE: I also used aveeno intensive moisturizer, with oatmeal. This really helped with the itching- I get that it's a bit counter-intuitive as we want to dry out the rash, but don't worry, that's not what it's moisturizing. It was honestly hard for me to even touch my body when it was looking so disgusting, but it was worth it in the end.

I also took vitamin C and rubbed the soles of my feet with tea tree oil, along with drinking loads of water, fruit/veggies and green tea. Help your body out!

By the end of the first week, the rash was already starting to fade. I had a few setbacks- on day 9, I randomly got a crop of patches all over my neck and even on my face. As bad as that was, they all disapeared within 2-3 days. Even now I find a new one once in a while but it's usually gone by the end of the day.

I'm now exactly 16 days from when I was diagnosed. My rash has cleared up by 90%- all that is left is a few brown spots that just look like bruises. I feel so relieved I can't even tell you! Don't give up hope. There's no reason anyone should be suffering from this when there ARE cures out there. Follow the steps above and I'm hopeful you can clear yourself up just as fast!

And just remember not to let this get you down too much. I know that even just 2 weeks can seem too long for something like this, but just stay positive and keep your smile. No one goes through life without getting something like this. As much as all these steps above helped me, what helped the most was going out with my friends and talking and laughing. Showing them the rash relieved me so much- people are kinder than you think and you don't need to go through this alone. Good luck and let me know if you have any questions!

*as a sidenote - my doctor perscribed me a cortisone cream. I suggest not using it. After doing some research, I found that this can actually make the rash last longer. Use Zinc Oxide for the itching!

6 likes, 84 replies

84 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Thank you for sharing your story

My 3 year old has it and is in his 3 week now...it was looking is so awful and the itching is the worst...Im using aleo vera and shea butter and his skin is improving....Keep us updated

• Posted

Thank you for sharing!  I've been suffering for a straight 4+ months and this is the second time which also happens to be much worse.  The first time was two years ago and it never completely went away but was pretty minor and would come and go.  I am now miserable as it has spread over my back, my sides, back of my neck, and abdomen.  I just tried the tanning bed and Head & Shoulders after I read your post.  I also will stop using the cortosone cream I've been using twice a day for the last 4 months and off and off prior for two years sad 
    • Posted

mY LITTLE BOY HAS IT ALL OVER HIS BODY HEAD TO TOE AND THE ITCHING IS BY FAR THE WORST SYMTOM APART FROM THE HORRID RASH...i WAS GIVEN STEROIDS TO USE BUT I REFUSE TO USE THEM ON SUCH YOUNG SKIN..THE BEST THING YOUVE DONE IS TO STOP USING THE STEROIDS AS THEY CAN THIN YOUR SKIN AND CAUSE OTHER COMPLICATIONS..TRY USING ALOE VERA IT HAS WORKED WONDERS ON MY LITTLE BOY HE STILL HAS THE RASH BUT IT HAS DIED DOWN DRAMATICLY AFTER 4 DAYS OF USING IT...GOOD LUCK AND KEEP US POSTED AND LET US KNOW HOW THE TANNING AND HEAD AND SHOULDERS WORK FOR YOU....THANK YOU FOR SHARING
    • Posted

sad poor you. Try it for sure! Give it about a week though, I only saw marked imrpovements a few days after starting my regimine. Hang in there!

Also- from what I know you're only supposed to use cortisone cream for a maximum of 10-14 days at a time or it can thin out your skin. Could it maybe be aggravating the rash?

• Posted

I'm so happy with the tanning bed advice.  I had major improvements in the rash after one 9 minute session!  My husband and I were astounded.  That was yesterday. I went again today for 7 minutes. 
    • Posted

That makes me so happy to hear!! Keep the updates coming!
  • Posted

UPDATE: it is officially 100% gone!
    • Posted

I am so pleased for you biggrin My 3 year old is in week five and bearing up.... The rashes on his torso and arms have pretty much gone but he still has them on his legs and his scalp is covered in scabs....He has scars but im sure they will fade in time...Thank you for sharing your story im sure it has helped lots of people keep us updated   smile
    • Posted

Thank you! His improvement wonderful news- when my scalp got covered it went away rather quickly, I certainly hope it's the same for him!

In my more desperate moments I made sort of a "bargain with god" that if my rash went away quickly I would try to help others hahaha...

• Posted

Your welcome.....cheesygrin..Yes it is the sleepless night are almost over and I can see a light at the end of the tunnel even though his arms have flared up again I feel better knowing what im dealing with......And as for your bargin with *God* you are keeping your word and I for one appreciate you...Thank you
    • Posted

Hey I'm 13, I was diagnosed last week and I'm about 2-3 weeks ini think. A lot of these remades my mum doesn't trust. we have very fair skin in my family and tanning burns my skin instantly. I have not yet gotten itchiness from my rash but I often get a bit of a twitch. The rash Is difinatly getting worse and it's making me feel very insecure. At first it was just on my torso but started to get really bad on my breasts. No one could see it but now it's going down my arms. My school uniform is red and just makes my patches look worse and I really don't want to be in my skin anymore. I'm performing in a show in two weeks and have to wear costumes that show a lot of skin. Do you happen to know a way to make the patches look lighter without using any types of makeup 

• Edited

I have been diagnosed with this a few days ago sad

I've had it for a few weeks already and it just seems to be getting worse. The doctor gave me Fucibet which stopped the itching but as soon as I stopped using it, my skin gets so red and itchy but I've stopped using it at all.

I'm definitely going to try some of your advice, the only cream I could find with zinc oxide is sudocrem and I've also bought some vitamin C.

I am also hoping to get a few sunbed sessions in this week.

Wish me luck!

• Posted

im in the same boat as you, i got diagnosed with this on saturday.  ive been to asda and stocked up on head n shoulders which ive been putting on dry and leaving for 10 mins and then hopping in the shower and washing off and then washing again wiht a loofer in the stuff and leaving it for 3 mins. n then i get out and dry myself and apply aveeno moisturiser with oatmeal (i got it from the chemist) and then sudacrem, have been doing this since saturday and not showing any major signs of going down but im still persisting with it.  i did read on another post that a guy purchased nizarol anti dandruff shampoo (also brought from the chemist) and he washed in it and by the next morning there was a difference from red to pink.  im gonna give this a whirl.  also as much as i dont want to im going to go on a sunbed tonight for 3 mins (my first time) and see if that works. again i saw that the same guy who applied nizarol to himself went on the sunbed for 4 mins (and washed morning n night in nizarol and his went down drastically.  ive had this for nearly 2 weeks (on sunday it will be the 2nd week)  mine is all over my neck and chest and tummy and back and dots on my arms n legs, i bet you're feeling like you want to hide in a cave.  my work colleagues have been understanding so dont feel shamed, i did (and still do a bit) but if you start feeling down your body will pick up on it.  after going to the chemist to buy nizarol and MORE aveeno i feel like im on a mission all reved up!  keep me updated how you get on and i will keep you updated how i go on with the sunbed and the nizarol.  hang in there and know this thing CAN be beaten.  oh im also taking vitamin c chewable tablets (you can take 5 a day) which i got from asda. sudacrem is best for the zync as well
    • Posted

I've found out the hard way that I can't use head and shoulders or aveeno on my body as it made it worse. I have hyper sensitive skin as it is. I also found that sudocrem wasn't curing the itch enough.

I had a breakdown at work yesterday as it was unbearable. It's now moved to my face and it feels like my skin is on fire.

I've been taking vitamin C and morning and night applying camomile cream as I found this cures the itching and soothes it especially if I put it in the fridge. I went for a 6 min sunbed lastnight and this morning my rash is pink not red. I shall go for another tomorrow.

Please update me!

• Posted

hi em,

apologies for the delay.  well i went on the sunbed and it has worked in a way where the spots are as 'bumpy' now they are flat red/pinkish marks on me.  the nizorol shampoo is slowly taking the colour out. im going to go on the sunbeds again upping it from 3 mins to 5 mins to see if that makes a difference.  aww im sorry to hear you cant used h&s or aveeno!  i was told by a doctor to bathe in salt water and basically pooring some salt into the bath! see if that works??  pink is better than being red that means its slowly drying out!  keep me updated with how you're going on,  its reassuring to know someone else is going through this as well as me and together i think we can beat this thing! xx

• Posted

that sounds awful sad keep up the sunning! The itch should only last a couple days.
    • Posted

Hi Vici!

Well I'm 4 weeks in and it's spreading even further sad it's all up my neck and on the lower half of my face! I've been on two, six min sun beds and not really seen a great difference. I'm still itchy all over! sad

• Posted

hi em

its on the lower part of my face too.  ive read on another site that milk thistle helps with it. apparently its all about helping your liver fight this too.  milk thistle tablets are from asda (£1 odd i think) so i started them last night, ive also got some perfectil triple active for hair,nails and skin as that has zinc and biotin and selenium (3 main ingredients to help this too)  they're yucky big tablets but if it helps why not!  ive read a lot of people have taken these too.  worth a shot! may be get out in the sun with the nice weather see if that does anything?  ill try and find the website where someone was saying about these and also i remember them sayin that the sunbeds werent working for htem and they went down another route!

• Posted

Hi Vici!

How's it going? I've just had my 3rd sunbed session and went for 8 minutes this time. The patches are drying out and the itching has stopped. I've stopped putting anything on my body but kept up with taking vitamin c everyday. I hope this means the worst is over! How're you getting on? X

• Posted

hi em, so sorry for the late reply!  this account is registered to my work email and i was off friday.  well the sunbeds are a god send!  my rash is still itchy but most of my spots are flaking and are turning colour which from what ive read from other members means its going!  i could dance to london and back :D  ive been going on the sunbeds every 2 days since tuesday, i have done 2x 3 min sessions and 1x 6 mins session.  ive also been taking my milk thistle tablets and my vitamin c.   hopefully 1 more week and i'll be cured!  im so glad to know you're being cured!! its horrible when youre going through it but when you see that light at the end of the tunnel you feel ace!  im still using my aveeno moisturiser but im finding the cream is 10x better than the lotion as it absorbs more quickly and keep its the itching at bay and the sudacrem at night its working lots too. 
    • Posted

oh and the perfectil tablets are working a treat too!  theyre hard to swallow but worth the results!x
    • Posted

Hi Vici, so glad yours is starting to clear! I'm still using the sunbeds and the spots don't seem as angry they're more under the skin now. Although the ones on my stomach and sides seem to be the most angry looking still. I'm taking vitamin C and just bought some perfectil tablets. I go to America with work in a few weeks, I just hope it clears up by then!
    • Edited

hi em

apologies for the late reply, ive been insanely bsy wth work n then me n my son went n holiday to wales first week of may.

im cured! its 100% all gone. it was horrible the first week of ma but i thik he sunshine helped and the continual use of head n shoulders and aveenoand sudacrem.

im so relieved to have my body back :D

howre you doing wiht yours?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.