How I Beat Pityriasis Rosea in 2 Weeks- Tips!

Posted , 43 users are following.

Hi Guys!

If you're reading this, you must have been diagnosed with pityriasis rosea. If you're anything like me, you've probably spent the last few days obsessively reading about it on the web. If you're disappointed by what you've seen (the rash lasting for years, being super painful, etc) then keep on reading! I managed to clear mine up by 90% within the first two weeks of having it.

The day before I noticed the rash, I thought I had a stomach flu. I had just come off a month-long cold and was feeling so nauseous I threw up multiple times. This is part of the virus- it's normal to feel sick in some way before its appearance. My manifestation was like the flu- aches, vomiting, etc. The next morning, I woke up and found myself covered in little spots. I had noticed a few on my back the night before, but I figured they were just bites of some sort. When I looked in the mirror the next morning, however, I was horrified- they were all around my stomach and my back and they were super itchy. I immediately went to the clinic, where I spent the next few hours basically watching the rash spread down my arms. When I finally saw a doctor, they had no clue what it was- they told me it was either Hand, Foot and Mouth disease or chicken pox. They sent me to a dermatologist to be sure so off I went.

Within 10 seconds she diagnosed me with pityriasis rosea. DISCLAIMER: she said I had an atypical case. I had no herald patch (although in the next few days I would develop 4-5 hearld patch looking spots) and the rash had come on super quickly. Relieved it wasn't chicken pox, I asked her how long it would last- and she told me MONTHS. At this point I basically wanted to die and I left her office holding back tears. When I got home, I literally spent the next 48 hours alternating between crying and looking up this awful rash. What I saw stressed me out even more- people saying their rash had lasted years, spread to their faces, was ruining their lives, etc. What I noticed, however, was that many of these people had put off seeing a doctor or had gotten misdiagnosed. I figured that my best chance of beating this thing was treating it as quickly and aggressively as possible.

Let me just say- I had one of the worst cases I've read about. By the fourth day I was literally covered from the top of my neck down to my toes. Nothing was spared- not my feet, not my hands, not my scalp, not my 'lady parts' and i even had some on the inside of my mouth. I was literally polka-dotted with these big, blotchy red things. It was also EXTREMELY itchy, I wanted to crawl out of my skin and I could barely sleep. It was so depressing that I couldn't even look in the mirror. Honestly, I don't think you can understand how bad this makes you feel until you have it yourself. I could hardly look at myself without crying.

That first night, however, I had to do something (I couldn't just sit around and watch it get worse!) so I went out and bought my first weapon: Head and Shoulders Clinical Strength shampoo (blue bottle, orange liquid). I applied it dry on my body 1-2 times a day and rinsed it off in the shower about 10 minutes after.  After a few days of this I just used it as a body wash, although I would let it sit for about 5 minutes before washing it off. This would temporarily make the rash bright red which was kind of depressing, but it would also stop the itching for a while and by the next day the rash was already starting to look better.

Then it was on to the second step. I had read so much about tanning being a miracle cure that I decided, against my anti-tanning bed morals, to give it a shot. Of course my dermatologist advised me not to (which doctor would??) but I refused to live with this rash for the next several months. Over the next week and a half I went every second day- starting at first with 5 minutes in the lowest UV ray bed and gradually going up to 6 minutes on a medium bed. The rash would be extra itchy and red immediately after tanning, but by the second visit I noticed an improvement. I honestly think that this is what helped me the most.

Third attack- I applied Zinc Oxide 40% to my body every night. It can be found as a diaper rash cream. I honestly don't know if this worked, but it helped with the itching and also made my skin look paler, which in turn made the rash look better which helped my stress levels.

NOTE: I also used aveeno intensive moisturizer, with oatmeal. This really helped with the itching- I get that it's a bit counter-intuitive as we want to dry out the rash, but don't worry, that's not what it's moisturizing. It was honestly hard for me to even touch my body when it was looking so disgusting, but it was worth it in the end.

I also took vitamin C and rubbed the soles of my feet with tea tree oil, along with drinking loads of water, fruit/veggies and green tea. Help your body out!

By the end of the first week, the rash was already starting to fade. I had a few setbacks- on day 9, I randomly got a crop of patches all over my neck and even on my face. As bad as that was, they all disapeared within 2-3 days. Even now I find a new one once in a while but it's usually gone by the end of the day.

I'm now exactly 16 days from when I was diagnosed. My rash has cleared up by 90%- all that is left is a few brown spots that just look like bruises. I feel so relieved I can't even tell you! Don't give up hope. There's no reason anyone should be suffering from this when there ARE cures out there. Follow the steps above and I'm hopeful you can clear yourself up just as fast!

And just remember not to let this get you down too much. I know that even just 2 weeks can seem too long for something like this, but just stay positive and keep your smile. No one goes through life without getting something like this. As much as all these steps above helped me, what helped the most was going out with my friends and talking and laughing. Showing them the rash relieved me so much- people are kinder than you think and you don't need to go through this alone. Good luck and let me know if you have any questions!

*as a sidenote - my doctor perscribed me a cortisone cream. I suggest not using it. After doing some research, I found that this can actually make the rash last longer. Use Zinc Oxide for the itching!

6 likes, 84 replies

84 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Today marks about one month since I both; got diagnosed AND BEAT PR. The method that you used worked perfectly. I used Head and Shoulders as a body wash and started going to tanning sessions. Before starting the tanning sessions I just used the head&shoulders twice a day, and started seeing results about 4 days into the treatment. But nothing major happened until I started tanning. CRAZY! I couldn't believe how well this treatment worked!! I had it all over my arms, inner thighs, torso, chest and neck and they are all gone except for a couple of really faded ones on the inner parts of my arms. I also started taking Vitamin C. You guys THIS TRULY WORKS, and I can't be any more grateful for coming across this post. THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU. I felt so helpless when this all began, and it is now a thing of the past. Not that I want this to appear on my body again, but knowing that this treatment works puts me at ease in case I have a future outbreak. My best advice is to have faith and to be patient. 

There is a light at the end of the tunnel! I wish I could post before and after pictures of my progress but they are a lil graphic haha BEST OF LUCK TO ALL WHO ARE BATTLING WITH THIS AT THE MOMENT. 

• Posted

Thank You for sharing ur experience. I'm going through it right now and it's been about 2 weeks. I started doing what you did, praying that spots will stop spreading through my body. I was wondering what did they look like before they disappeared for you. Thank you!

• Posted

I ended up with this condition about a month ago, but luckily I came across this forum and was able to start the treatment quickly so it all resolved within about a week and a half so I would like to say a big thank you for sharing your advice. I found that going for tanning probably had the biggest effect - I went for 3 tanning sessions 5 minutes at a time in a standup tanning booth, which I guess is stronger than the lay down bed; I spaced my tanning sessions a day apart and I noticed improvement after the first session. I also tried putting on zinc ointment once, took some zinc supplements, used the head and shoulders clinical strength shampoo as bodywash (still using it just in case), and was drinking marigold tea 2-3 times a day for about 4-5 days since someone here mentioned that this condition might be related to liver congestion and I remember taking marigold tea for any digestive system inflammation so I thought it would help. At this point I have almost no trace of the rash left though I still get some random episodes of itching though there seems to be no rash on the itchy area.
  • Posted

I don't think anyone should ever endure this terrible condition called pityriasis rosea.

When the 1st dermatologist first diagnosed this on 6 Oct he said it would take the usual 2 months for the rashes to clear. After 1 week, the itch and spots were so unbearable. I decided to get a 2nd opinion.

When i saw the 2nd dermatologist, his diagnosis was either PR or drug related interaction.

Nevertheless, he said the rashes need to be stopped, otherwise new ones would continue to pop up. So he prescribed me 5mg Prednisone (Steroid) tablets, 2 in the morning and 2 tablets in the evening. Within 1 and a half day, the rashes subsided and all the lumpy swollen rashes started to retreat. The itchiness also gone. After that the rashes turned brown and the skin started peeling.

After the skin biopsy came back, the conclusion was my condition was caused by either food or drug interaction. anyway, the decision to take the steroid tablets were correct and i am now free from those rashes completely

Most doctors will only prescribe steroid tablets at the last resort. However, if they prescribe it early, the dosage can be low (like what i took) and it can save the patients weeks or months of agony. Jist remember this, most doctors will just go by the book and they won't really care patients are going through hell.

• Posted

I'm just now after two months noticing my spots fading. I work at an urgent care and have an MD I speak to often who sees many cases of PR a year. Yes it is the worst if you have severe itching. From all my research I have done. I want to share what I believe can cause this Virus and what can prevent it from happening again. We humans on a daily bases wether we like it or not. Are constantly are subjected to Mercury, pesticides, herbicides, preservatives, and Rhadiation fall out. We are even born with it in our bodies. This is a immune compromised Virus. Usually your body has just had enough. Unfortunately taking steroids and Prednisone may in the short term help. But the likelihood it will come back is very good. Those medications wear your immune system down even more. So my suggestion is eat as healthy as you can. Do regular detoxing. Especially before cold and flu season. Eat lots of Organic raw fruits and veggies. These will build your immune system. Also some Chinese herbs can help detox liver and remove heavy metals from your body. Good luck do your research on true healthy living. Because it is sad that it is so hard to keep these toxins out of our bodies. Juicing is also a great way to rid your body of diseases.

• Posted

That is absolutely great advice for anyone. I agree that we need to eat more healthy foods- not just while you have a disease, but all the time
    • Posted

Hi Tony and Everyone else,

I want to discourage the idea that steroids can help PR. Yes, Prednisone is used to treat rashes caused from allergic reactions to food or drugs but will NOT help treat PR. I don't want Tony's comment to mislead anyone who is trying to find ways to treat PR.

I currently am on week 5 of my PR. The doctor originally thought it was an allergic reaction to an antibiotic I was on prior to getting my first signs of PR. I took Prednisone (steroids) for 2 weeks and the rash only got worse. When I went back to the doctor, they told me it was misdiagnosed and is PR. 

I've been loving this website and all the PR forums for suggestions for treatments from my fellow PR sufferers. I wasn't planning on posting but after seeing Tony's comment, I made myself and account to let my voice be heard.

I've been to the tanning bed three times so far and am using head and shoulders. Slight progression from the tanning beds and I just discovered I'm not using the same head and shoulders that everyone suggests (clinical strength) so I'm running out to Walmart after this to look for it. 

However, I want to make my point clear that tony's post may be misleading... STEROIDS DO NOT TREAT PITYRIASIS ROSEA

I hope that helped. I love you all and I'm so sorry that anyone has to deal with this dumb rash. 

Tony- so glad your rash healed but this is a forum for Pityriasis Rosea, not allergic reactions. 

Good luck everyone. 

• Posted

Hi Clarke I was diagnosed of PR by my dermatologist. But before I was diagnosed I went to 4 dermatologists, but they didn't inform me about my situation. They just tell me it's because of my pregnancy rushes. I feel depressed this past few week. I can't endure the itch at night. I always wake up rubbing my skin. I have a lot of medicine from those doctors. But I will stop it and just use what you have used. I really want to cry every night because of itchiness. Help me if you have tips please.

• Posted

THANK YOU!!! 

You saved my life. After reading your treatment plan, I immediately went to Rite-aid and purchased head and shoulder (clinical strength) and boudreaux's butt paste (40% zinc oxide) max strength. It did wonders in just 2 days of use. I was motified by the look and progession of this rash and the discomfort from the itching was complete misery! I didn't really use the rx my dermatologist gave me. However, I did have a family friend prescribe me some valium for anxiety and sleep (just for 3 days). Thank you again for sharing your story. 

• Posted

I had it for 3 weeks, and my experience on it is use nothing except drinking orange juice (500ml/ per day) and i also had a galss of lemon juice+honey everynight before i go to sleep. Hope it works on you too...
  • Posted

I'm so happy I have seen this post. I have had eczema my entire life and thought that this rash was just part of my eczema. For the past 6 months I have had this rash not knowing what it was and stupidly didn't go to the doctors about it! I have been diagnosed today and prescribed the nizoral shampoo, I was told to wet the skin and apply then wait 20 minutes and wash off... do you think this is okay? I also use oilatum moisturiser however I'm not sure if this is too oily. I'm so relieved that there are other people with this going on as I feel like my life has been on hold for the past 6 months, I'm in such a rush to get it away as I go on holiday in a few weeks! Hoping if I follow your tips then it should start to clear up

• Posted

Bless you!

I first noticed these strange red spots on my arms as early as last year this time. I never paid any attention to them.

Then, they started appearing on my chest, little red spots... for the longest, they were just THERE, didn't itch or anything.

Then, in November, 2016, I noticed them swelling a little like poison ivy and itching like mad, and I scratched like a hound dog. I took a picture of my chest in Nov. I wish I could post it.

Finally went to the doctor May 1st, she almost immediately diagnosed it as PR. Never heard of it! She gave me some cream that worked like magic for calming them, eliminated itching, some antibiotics Baxtrim, (?) and somepills for itching, which once the welps disappeared, the itching stopped, too.

But the spots are still there. I looked very closely at the major red spots on my chest and they appear to be teeny tiny blood vessels... sorta like varicose veins.

Anyway, it appeared in Nov. 2016, and I didn't go to the Dr., for 6 months, and it seemed to have some kinda cycle involved, as it would just be seen with no problems itching or swelling, then in a week or so, it would flare up, the little welps would appear, then it would calm down.

Weirdest stuff ever, it's only on my chest, down mostly my right arm, then a week ago, I noticed some slightly raised areas in the nape of my neck, itching, and slightly raised tiny welps. Here we go, again, but it's not too annoying. But on my chest, it's very unattractive.

I will get the H&S TODAY! Thank ALL of you for your input and suggestions!!

• Posted

Thank you so much for the post and tips.  I was diagnosed withh PR yesterday, which I think is about 8 days from when I first noticed some skin changes.  I am going to try the tanning bed! 

In case my story helps:  I ignored the first bumps I had.  They were on my upper back and I just thought I had been bitten by some yard pests, which is common. I next noticed welt-hive like patches on my neck, close to colar bone.  I ignored that thinking they were from stress / anxiety at work, which also happens too often.  I next noticed that I may be getting a couple of fever blisters on my mouth.  I have those from time to time; so, I immediately took valcyclovir (generic Valtrex) for a day, which is supposed to help keep the case mild.  I didn't notice that something different was going on/wrong with me until a day or two later; I thought it could be shingles (as there were patches of bumps, scaly skin under my breasts and on my sides); so, I started taking the Valtrex again.  Additional bumps continued to develop on my torso, with the worst being on my neck, chest and upper abdomen.  However, I think the Valtrex has helped:  My case (as awful as it is) doesn't sound as bad as most of the ones written about on this post.  I'm not sure if my case just is not as bad or the Valtrex helped.  I'm not over it; so, I may get even worse.  However, I hadn't seen any posts about an anti-viral medications like Valtrex (acyclovir is also noted as a potential treatment); so, I wanted to add the post about it.  From what I've read, doctors suspect PR may be a virus; if it is, it makes sense that an anti-viral medication may help.  

From posts, I'm confused about the recurrence.  The doctor told me that it would be a one time thing.  However, I believe one posted that it came back.  I am most curious about that because I wonder if an anti-viral will just make the case milder but not let the virus "run its course" so it may be more likely that it comes back at a later time, and be worse??

FYI: I am a 47 year old female and cannot imagine having this is as a child/young adult, which is the group for which it sounds to be most common.  At least at my age, I'm not worried about public shaming (I do travel for business and present to clients so I share my story so no one thinks I have a contagious disease) and I know better than to scratch the bumps!! 

Best wishes to everyone battling this!

• Posted

I heard a horror (to me) story that some hospital in the mid west is giving chemotherapy to people with PR. My biggest problems with this are: chemo is poison. The "course of treatment" is 6 weeks, by which time the PR in most people would be going away by tself.....

I would certainly like more input from people who got anti virals. It would make sense, if PR is a virus, so anybody else out there treated that way?

• Posted

Stazstaz: Oh dear... I hope that story about treating it with chemo is just a rumor.

An update on my sores: they have faded a lot. Not sure if it was just the antivirals continuing to work or that I was in a salt water pool for a couple of days before and on July 4th holiday, which seemed to help too. I hesitated to do so but everything I've read Says PR is not contagious. So, I didn't feel like I was putting others at risk.

Praying for continued improvement for myself and others!

• Posted

My doctor diagnosed me today (first noticed spots about 8 days ago, but I had my first spot, what I thought was an eczema patch for longer). He also proscribed this treatment. It is PhotoChemotherapynot chemo like we think of for cancer. It's a glorified tanning bed, using UVs to help heal.

Too expensive for me. After reading this encouraging thread, I started H&S this evening and will hit the tanning booth first thing in the morning!!

• Posted

Young adult here, having PR was the worst thing ever. 

I agree that the antiviral will make the case milder, a higher dosage of antiviral is likely to get rid of it. 

I believe PR is an autoimmune body reaction which triggered by a latent virus, and/or other etiology. It's different causes for different people for the same condition. That's why researcher cannot pinpoint the cause. 

When I first got PR, I took acyclovir but the dermatologist only prescribed me with 800 mg 1 time a day for a week, instead of 800 mg 5 times per day for 7 days.

It was working, it did clear my full-blown rash completely, but I had these secondary breakout, but they were way milder, not the whole body rash.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.