How I fixed my acid reflux

Posted , 11 users are following.

After constantly getting prescribed PPIs I decided that they did not work to solve my problem so I did my own research and came across some conflicting information. That is that acid reflux in most cases is not too much acid it is however not enough acid. So with this information I hesitantly decided to take Betaine HCL which is readily available online. After 3 days of using this product my acid reflux disappeared as did most of my other digestive problems. So I would suggest if you are the end of your rope, maybe give it a try.

3 likes, 35 replies

35 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Also if Betaine HCL is hard to come by then I suggest apple cider vinegar.

• Posted

Hi James,

Most people after 50 are low instead of high.

How many did you take per meal?

• Posted

I take 5 pills which is 1.6 grams of HCL. I'm also 22 years old so age isn't the only factor.

• Posted

Thanks, for sure age is not the only factor, but for those over 50 most are low in acid.

• Posted

Congrats! I'm glad you are feeling better. Do you know if you have to get off PPIs to take Betaine HCl? I am stuck on 40 mg of Nexium and cannot even reduce it a little. My symptoms are due to a hiatal hernia and even the high dose of Nexium doesn't fully control my symptoms.

• Posted

PPIs make it so you have less stomach acid, so taking both would not really help. In terms of getting off PPI I'd suggest you talk with your doctor about it.

• Posted

Dr Farid Gharagozloo. Please call his office. He can fix the hital hernia without a nissen. He saved my life after 2 failed nissen fundoplication that almost killed me. I live in TX and went to Florida to see him. It was worth it

• Posted

WOW, that is great! Is that Doctor located at Florida Hospital in Kissimmee? I live 7 minutes from it. 😉 I don't have HH or h-pylory but I do have a good GI which offers all these options but he is a little to far away.

• Posted

Yes he is in Celebration Hospital. Dr Farid Gharagozloo is a cardio thoracic surgeon who knows how to fix the LES sphincter without a nissen and repair the hital hernia if you have one. He one of America's top surgeon and had GI doctors that work with him that are wonderful as well. You will not be disappointed. i would call his office and ask for a GI doctor they would recommend. If you are having severe relfux then Dr Gharagozloo can help you repair that.

• Posted

hi farhana714 can I ask what treatment the doctor used to treat your spintcher I have reflux and HH..thanks

• Posted

I actually don't have severe reflux but I do have barrettes ( small, 2cm) with no dysplesia. Apparently caused by bile or stress, but not so much acid. That hospital is a great hospital and I actually contacted a GI Doctor there that no longer does the 'stretta procedure". I will call this Doctor, thanks! 😉

• Posted

because I have gastritis diagnosed last year through endoscopy and now hit all hernia a small one plus my GI doctor said that I have LES too I have tried everything apple cider ...baking soda...digestive enzymes ...ppi did work at the start but after few months they were giving me more pain I don't know what to do please if you can help me that how did your doctor treated you plus what have u tried to heal it ...thanks ...samy

• Posted

He gave me a Esophageal. Valvuloplasty. I hope it works out for you like it did me. Best of of luck!

• Posted

He gave me esophageal Valvuloplasty. Then used dissolvable mesh to close up my hernia tear.

No nissin fundoplication. i can burp and throw up like a normal person. I am so thankful

• Posted

First time I hear about this procedure, but I just did a goggle search and is looking pretty good. Going to call them tomorrow if they take my insurance, is one of the few hospitals and Doctors that does this new procedure. Thanks again. 😉)

• Posted

Yes he is the only few of the doctor that does this procedure. They take most insurance. You can setup a consultation with Dr Farid. You won't be disappointed.

• Posted

Hi,

is the esophageal valvuloplasty really painful? how long did it took for you to recover? and how long until you could eat normal?I am being having regurgation of acid up to my throat every time i eat ppi's don't work for me to prevent reflux. i am interested on this procedure. how long ago did you had it?

• Posted

If you never had had any reflux surgery before then it will be done laparoscopic. It takes couple of weeks for the incisions to heal and 2 months for the inside to heal. i had it 6 months. I wished i knew this 2 yrs ago. It would of saved me a lot of heartache and problems. It's not a hard recovery if you have it done laparoscopic. You should be able to eat regularl food in 2 months. They want you to eat soft food for 2 months after surgery

• Posted

what were your symptoms before any surgery you had? did you took ppi's also.

• Posted

I had bad reflux. PPI was making me sick. i had esophagitis also. I had 2 failed niseen fundoplication that almost killed me. I made everything worse. I was nauseated and bloated all the time. I wasn't digesting my food.

• Posted

thanks for ur reply farhana 714 I have an appointment coming up with my GI doctor I will discuss this with her I have no idea whether this treatment is available here in UK or not but will keep in touch with u ...thanks lots of duas and prayers for u

• Posted

yes i can eat pretty much everything again. i stay away from fried foods. I do have it sometimes

• Posted

I did have surgery. I have esophageal valvuloplasty. Dr Farid Gharagozloo repaired my les valve and hernia. I went to Orlando Florida to have my surgery. I was worth it

• Posted

mine has recently got bad, from doing something strange I was laying on my back and just as I was about to doze off asleep I Jerked forward, and felt a pop where your esophagus meets your stomach in the middle just below the rib cage. It was tender to the touch so I thought i just pulled a muscle. I rolled over on my right side, and thats when I felt the acid coming up. I thought I might have caused a hernia by doing this I dont know. maybe you could help me, but all the tests Ive had have came back normal. what ever I did has made my reflux worse. This was back in october. I havent been the same since.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.