How is everyone doing doing on sertraline????

Posted , 42 users are following.

Just wanted to hear people's journeys, advice etc of taking sertraline. I myself have been on 50mg for 5 weeks and 1 day. My side effects lasted for 7-10 days and included loss of appetite, heightened anxiety, tense jaw, fatigue. I'm still not feeling where I want to be but much better than I was. How long did it take other people to feel like the old them?? 

6 likes, 136 replies

136 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi thanks for your kind comments, hopefully we will both be where we want to be soon. It's all so strange for me as before Xmas I had never had severe anxiety before. I just need to be ok for my two lovely kids and husband and I enjoy our busy family life. Let me know how you get on.
    • Posted

Yes it's the same for me, it just came on all of a sudden and I thought I was loosing it!!! It's so horrid to go through, I'm also wanting to be better for my son and partner and like u I love the busy family life but that went out of the window when this struck me 4 months ago, keep in touch and take care x
  • Posted

I haven't taken zoloft but am taking paxil now and my doc would like to switch me to become pregnant. I've only been paxil 3 1/2 weeks but am scared to change because I don't want to slip back in the state I was in. How bad was the anxiety when starting it because I heard the first week is miserable. sad
    • Posted

Hi Nicole, well in the beginning It took me 3 weeks to get the courage to take sertraline as was so scared but I was suffering so badly with anxiety that I just took it as couldn't go on the way I was, the start up anxiety was not to bad as I was suffering badly anyway. I take mine just before I get into bed so I slept through most of the harsh side effects. The sooner u take it the sooner  u will be on your way to feeling better. I am 5 weeks and it has eased lots but I'm still anxious every now and then but I have just had flu/chest infection which knocked me back, but  I'm def better than what I was, also if u do get side effects the doc can give u something to ease into it until the side effects go, good luck and let me know how u get on x
    • Posted

I know you posted this a year ago I've been on SERTRALINE (Zoloft) for 29 days have felt like I'm going nuts .... Anxiety is much higher and has not ceased only increased. Could you check your bottle and tell me the name of the manufacturer you use and let me know pleaseeeeee. I ask because your story enlightens me ... I read some bad stuff on the manufacturer I use so I was hoping to find out who yours is??? It sucks I'm taking benzo meds now too just to handle anxiety increase from Zoloft / SERTRALINE. If you could please let me know who your manufacturer is shown on bottle. I don't know if I can handle increasing something making me worse and worse I'm at a crossroads.
  • Posted

hi vikki iam 4 weeks into my treatment and side effects have just about gone, and i can now just about see light at the end of a very very dark tunnel , xxx
    • Posted

Glad to hear your doing better Hun. I am 5 weeks in and doing better, I had a set back week 3-4 with the flu but last 2 days have been good, bit of anxiety but I think that will take a while to go x
    • Posted

Took me 8 weeks to settle then a month or two to stabilize 8 months on 100 mg and now coming off slowly. My advice is persevere good luck

• Posted

So good to hear that u r feeling better, I am very hopeful I will get back to myself with this medication and positive thinking, did u start on 100mg Jon or get upped and if u were upped how many weeks were u on 50mg before being upped, sorry for the questions and good luck with coming off them x
    • Posted

50 to start 8 weeks to 100 now cutting down using a nutmeg grater increase shavings by odd numbers every 7 days. Now on 13 shaves and up to 15 next week less than half a tablet ie under 50mg
    • Posted

Morning! 4 wks and 2 days in. had a good week but today feeling a bit off hope this is normal. woke 4 am feeling anxious. not so bad now I am up and about but it feels like it's lurking in the back ground ready to turn into panic anytime! I got up almost waiting until time to take meds which I am sure won't help as in system anyway.
    • Posted

I found that the tablets worked well with exercise and or getting outside. Running worked for me but I was able to appreciate beauty in walking by the sea or countryside

Its easy to feel like a recluse because people treat you differently . They often avoid you or don't know what to say

• Posted

Yeh your just having a blip, I've just had one to and I thought I was back to square one and the tablets weren't working, but I'm getting over that blip now, I'm a little ahead of u nat, I'm on 5 weeks 5 days now and starting to feel a lot better. Like u I feel it lurking. It is still very early days so we will both have up and down days but soon we should have more good than bad. X
    • Posted

hi Jon and vikki. I think your both right. It's just hard when you've been feeling ok then it creeps in. never had anxiety before Xmas and don't feel depressed. I went back to the gym thurs and really enjoyed it but took it steady. I feel a bit better now I am up and about keeping busy. I do have option to up to 100mg but as I was doing well on 50mg in only 4 wks I wanted to hold off a bit in case 50 was enough. I am sure time will tell. Thank you both of you the support is fab.
    • Posted

I know you posted this a year ago I've been on SERTRALINE (Zoloft) for 29 days have felt like I'm going nuts .... Anxiety is much higher and has not ceased only increased. Could you check your bottle and tell me the name of the manufacturer you use and let me know pleaseeeeee. I ask because your story enlightens me ... I read some bad stuff on the manufacturer I use so I was hoping to find out who yours is??? It sucks I'm taking benzo meds now too just to handle anxiety increase from Zoloft / SERTRALINE. If you could please let me know who your manufacturer is shown on bottle.
    • Posted

I know you posted this a year ago I've been on SERTRALINE (Zoloft) for 29 days have felt like I'm going nuts .... Anxiety is much higher and has not ceased only increased. Could you check your bottle and tell me the name of the manufacturer you use and let me know pleaseeeeee. I ask because your story enlightens me ... I read some bad stuff on the manufacturer I use so I was hoping to find out who yours is??? It sucks I'm taking benzo meds now too just to handle anxiety increase from Zoloft / SERTRALINE. If you could please let me know who your manufacturer is shown on bottle. I don't know if I can handle increasing something making me worse and worse I'm at a crossroads.
    • Posted

Hi,

I don't have any answers about manufacturers but wanted to try and give you some reaasurance.

I'm only 2 weeks and 1 day in in sert increased to 100mg today. So it's still early days for me as it still is for you.

We all read bad things about meds and the effect they can have on us.

it's not unusual for meds to increase your anxiety before it gets better. I know this because it's happened to me this time and it also happened last time I was unwell and took Citalopram. I would say it took a good 6 weeks last time for me to settle.

Please stick with it for a bit longer if after 6 weeks it's not better go and see somebody and discuss other options available.

Take care x

• Posted

Been on it 33 days..... The mornings are so bad I'm literally terrified to get out of bed before noon...massive panic.... Feel like I'm going bonkers....

Day 1-10. 25mg

Day 11-22 37.5mg

Day

My irritability is better and I have no libido so unknown it's working but I can't justify going up to 100mg when I feel worse...... You really really think around week 6 the morning anxiety (terror) that has come about since day 8 will go away ...... I'm at a crossroads where either I believe this medicine will magically do opposite of what it's doing now (anxiety) or quitting it and trying celexa.... Is what I'm experiencing FOR THIS LONG NOW ON 50mg NORMAL? any experiences from you or others are welcome..... I'm literally still in bed at noon due to how bad anxiety/ panic is ..... Guidance please..... Also Emma if you can let me know the name of your manufacturer shown on your bottle it would help there have been some bogus generics ... The fda fracked down on teva for a few... I have 3 kids a great wife and I really need to get better- I take my SERTRALINE at 800am typically I feel severe intense panic worse than when I started a month ago until 1pmthen from 1-6 I feel ok then a little cranky ... Then I start the next morning again in the worst panic hell imaginable

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.