How is everyone doing doing on sertraline????

Posted , 42 users are following.

Just wanted to hear people's journeys, advice etc of taking sertraline. I myself have been on 50mg for 5 weeks and 1 day. My side effects lasted for 7-10 days and included loss of appetite, heightened anxiety, tense jaw, fatigue. I'm still not feeling where I want to be but much better than I was. How long did it take other people to feel like the old them?? 

6 likes, 136 replies

136 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Vicki, I've been on Sertraline for 5 years and it has made a huge difference to my life. However the last few weeks have been really difficult and I'm beginning to think that it is becoming less effective. I have no enthusiasm for anything and find it really difficult to even get out of bed some days. I just want to hide away for ever and opt out. I know I need to speak to my doc again but I also know that he really doesn't listen and isn't interested. I may just try to reduce the dosage gradually myself and that may make me feel more like my old self and less like someone totally detached from who I really am.
    • Posted

hi moria what mg are you on? maybe it needs to go up? Or as you said maybe time to change it. hope you feel better soon I am very early on in my sertraline journey.
    • Posted

Hi Moira. I'm sorry your not feeling the benefits anymore but like someone mentioned, maybe your dose need altering as u your system has got used to that dose for so long. Maybe decrease to 75mg and see if that makes a difference or maybe u need a higher dose. I'm only just starting, I've been on it 6 weeks tomo and am on 50 mg but I would go up to 75mg if need be. Have u been any higher than 100mg?  X
    • Posted

hi moria my gp has suggested I go up to 100. how long were you on 50 before you increased to 100? hope you don't mind me asking it's just new for me.☺P's hope you feel better soon
    • Posted

Thank you Natalie. I was on 50mg for around 6 months then increased to 100mg. After being on 100mg for about a year I tried to reduce again, but it unfortunately didn't work and I needed to stay at 100mg which I've been on since.
    • Posted

Hi Vicki, no I've never been on more than 100mg and to be honest I dont really want to, I hate being dependant on drugs and would love tow come off them totally. I would love to think reducing the dose would help, it didn't when I tried it before but I may try it again. 
  • Posted

I've only been taking sertraline 10 days and still not seeing any let up...still got the horrible knot in my stomach when I wake (which is usually very early). One thing I've noticed is I've lost about 3-4 lbs as my appetite seems non existent but I am making myself eat a meal. Anybody else experience this to begin with?
    • Posted

hi julie yes I did. no appetite and waking around 4 am with anxiety and sweating. day 6 was my worst day. I am day 30 in now on 50 mg and things are a lot better. not 100% but so much better. my sleep is still up and down but I am now getting nights where I get a 4 hour block of sleep undisturbed. my appetite came back around day 18/20 and now eating well. stick with it l. its hard but things are looking more normal again for me now. I do have blips had one this morning but can carry on after with normal things. ☺
    • Posted

Thanks Natalie I was starting to worry about the no appetite and losing weight...last year my gp put me on citalopram and although I had other effects I didn't notice anything re eating and my weight...This time my gp has prescribed me sertraline for my health anxiety. .I wake around d 4.30am and cos of my anxiety I can't get back to sleep. Then I forgot the tiredness...its constant does that get better too?
    • Posted

hi I am new to anxiety and meds so to start with I felt so poorly I didn't know what was symptoms and what was side affects. I am learning. I have good sleep night and bad but my councillor said let the bad sleep nights slide and don't worry also said not great to sleep during the day as this messes the sleep pattern up especially as body getting used to new meds. I kept awake during the day and things are better. I had general anxiety but it seems to be now steering towards worrying a out health and each little twinge I think it's a worry. again I am learning to let these ride past and hope as I get further into this med it will get better and less thoughts stick with it.
  • Posted

hi vikki how are you doing ? had my review with gp today. He is happy but put up to 100mg. I am going to start Monday as my daughter has a competition Sunday and we have to travel so do t want to feel rough for that. I have a horrible cold but determined not to let it set me back. hope you are well ☺

• Posted

Hi nat, doc put me up to 100mg aswell and going to start tonight. Doc said as I'm still getting anxiety now and again I need to go up. She also said I shouldn't have side effects or if I do they won't be bad as been on sertraline nearly 8 weeks now. We're starting the same time on 100mg so will be good to have someone to share with. I will keep u updated Hun x
    • Posted

sounds like a plan keep each other updated. my gp said the same about not getting too many side affects as I am 6 wks 1 day in on 50mg but I am covering all bases by keeping a not too busy week next week. fingers crossed for us both ☺
    • Posted

Hey nat, I was to scared to take it lol, so I will start Sunday eve. I did think about just staying on 50 for abit longer but that will just prolong it so I've convinced myself AGAIN that I will def take it tomo. I have had a really good couple of days but I will def go up. How r u doing Hun x
    • Posted

hi vikki only go for it when your ready hun. I take mine in the morning so will take my first 100mg Mon am as travelling at 5 am Sunday to a competition so did want to risk it then so Mon it is! P's thanks for your support. We can do this x
    • Posted

And to u to, thanks for keeping in contact and for your support. I hope the competition goes well, good luck x
    • Posted

Thanks vikki. comp went well long day though so feeling a little edgy today. well I have gone for it took the first 100mg this morning so will see how it goes ☺
    • Posted

Hey nat, glad yesterday went well. I'm starting my 100mg today aswell. How r u feeling at the mo? I don't think we will get much of the side effects as we have been on them for a good few weeks now. I hope your ok and keep in touch x
    • Posted

Thanks hun. Ok at the Mo and yes fingers crossed side affects will be less! fingers crossed for us both!
    • Posted

Morning nat. So how was your first day on 100mg? I took my 1st 100mg last night and I woke up ok, so fingers crossed all will be ok x
    • Posted

hi vikki. took no 2 about an hour ago all ok at Mo! fingers crossed. glad your also feeling well this morning. Once I know what the side affects are or are not then I am allowed to reduce to 1 propanlal a day instead of 2. will stick on 2 for first 2 wks of upping serts though x
    • Posted

I'm also on propranolol but I have lowered

down to 2 40mg from 3 a day so like u in the next couple of weeks will cut down to 1 

• Posted

snap keeping as 2 at Mo while upping serts but day 2 feeling ok apart from a cold! roll on the warmer weather!
    • Posted

Hi vikki how is it going on 100mg? 4th day on 100mg and all ok no extra side affects and no anxiety as yet. feel a bit grumpy but think that's just the cold I have. how are you doing?
    • Posted

Hey nat, I was going to message to see how your doing aswell lol. Yeh same for me, no extra side effects and feeling ok so far x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.