How is everyone doing doing on sertraline????

Posted , 42 users are following.

Just wanted to hear people's journeys, advice etc of taking sertraline. I myself have been on 50mg for 5 weeks and 1 day. My side effects lasted for 7-10 days and included loss of appetite, heightened anxiety, tense jaw, fatigue. I'm still not feeling where I want to be but much better than I was. How long did it take other people to feel like the old them?? 

6 likes, 136 replies

136 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Vikki, on Sunday night you could first try increasing to 75mg for a week or two, that may work better and stop you worrying so much 😃
    • Posted

It's in 100mg tablets though sad so can't really break it into 75mg, I will try and see if I can. Also when I picked my prescription up it was a different brand so I started on that brand last night but broke the 100 tabs in half so I'm still on 50 just to get used to the new brand and see if I hit any side effects from it, but it have been ok today x
    • Posted

Good to hear you've been ok on the new brand.... with the 100mg tablets you could just trim a bit off, it won't make any difference as it'll still be one tablet a day you're using.

Hope it goes well for you 😃

• Posted

Hi all,been prescribed sertraline by my doctor having been on citalapram for the past 2 and half years,had a major dip on Friday so now on these but I'm nervous,no appetite at all and feel knackered,hope this gets better as start a new job tomorrow :-(
  • Posted

i've just posted about my experience on Sertraline. I'm on week 4 on 50mg, never taken any anti-depressants before. side effects i had were very similar to yours, and lasted about two weeks. I am now very up and down, still using diazepam, to keep me calm. Not really feeling much positive effects from sertaline so far, I dont think! How are you getting on??

Dannielle smile

• Posted

Hey, yes I was very up and down, then it started to have a lot more good days around week 6-8 but my doc put me up to 100mg and I've now been on 100mg for 4 days. I now have abit of heightened anxiety yesterday and today, but I'm hoping it's just from the increased dies. It will get better for u, it takes a while to level out roughly 8-12 weeks. My doc put my dose up as I was on week 8 and still having a few bad days but I wish I had waited abit longer now sad. I use rescue remedy when I feel anxious and works well for me, have u tried it? I would say give it another couple of weeks. And see how u feel then maybe ask to up your dose x I hope u feel better soon x
    • Posted

Hi smile thanks for your replies! It really does help knowing im not the only one, i feel calmer already! I am very nervous that the doctor might put my dose up, as the first two weeks on 50mg were very difficult. But it sounds like you're coping brilliantly! I am definietly going to stick with it for at least another month I think. I have rescue remedy spray and sweets, i'm not sure i've noticed that they work for me if im honest, but im really trying not to rely on the diazepam too much, because i know thats not good. I will let you know what the doctor says tomorrow, and i hope the anxiety cools off for you! xx

• Posted

hi vikki how are you feeling today ? any better? well I thought I got away lightly so dropped to 1 propanlal slow release a day and since then the anxiety has started to creep in. had a wobble yesterday morning and this morning. I am determined not to go backwards so I am off to the gym this morning so in total now I have been on sertraline just over 7 wks 11 days on the upped does of 100mg. I am a bit worried now though a lot of my good days was down to the propanlal rather than the serts what do you think ?
    • Posted

I think it might be side effects??? I'm still anxious and have had a bad tummy last few days. It's prob where it's now levelling out that u r getting anxious. I had to go back up to 3x 40mg propranolol because of the heightened anxiety so when it settles I will drop back to 2 x 40mg a day. X
    • Posted

hi vikki yeah I may need to go back onto 2 propanlal if a anxiety gets worse. second wobble of the day on the way to the gym. strange how I went up to 100mg and first 9 days no additional side affects but day 10 and 11 anxiety back I am hoping it's where the 100mg is settling in! anybody else had similar? ? I was on 50mg for 6 weeks before so should have a good level in body
    • Posted

I have been researching it nat lol, and it says u can get side effects weeks after as it's settling in. I was ok for the first 5 days on 100mg then the side effects kicked in, it's getting better everyday though but I was thinking should I have my dose at one point, but it's just a waiting game with sert isn't it as it does take a while. I was on 50mg for 8 weeks now z100mg for 10 days, it's still really early days though I think, as it normally takes 12 weeks to be properly into your system and to level out so I'm hopeful and will carry on. Take care nat and keep in touch Hun x
    • Posted

Thanks hun I think it was just a shock as I had a couple of good weeks and thought I got away with additional side affects when upping to 100mg. and then bang! oh yes I have anxiety. I need to be patient I got through ok when on 50mg so hopefully same will happen on 100mg soon. I went to the gym and have done a workout so feeling a little calmer x keep in touch
    • Posted

Morning hun how are you feeling today? I stuck with taking 1 propanlal a day ad they are 80mg slow release and have been ok. 2 wks now on 100mg feel a little low this morning which is weird as was given serts for anxiety not depression so hoping it's just the upped dose still leveling out. how have you been
    • Posted

Hey Hun, I was going to message u and see how u r doing. I'm feeling ok today so far and yesterday I was ok aswell. It's only been 2 weeks for us so it is still early days. I've been taking 2 propranolol but mine r not slow release they r 40mg so I'm taking 80mg a day. It does take between 6-12 weeks to level out so we have a way to go yet Hun x
    • Posted

hi thanks vikki think your right I just wasn't sure as had been on serts 50mg for 6 wks before upping but looking at feedback it seems when upping we still have to allow a good amount of time to feel the benefits of the upped dose. fingers crossed. I am so much better than I was but just need to be back to normal x glad to hear you have been feeling good. onwards and upwards!
    • Posted

Yeh same!!! I'm also much better but just need to be back normal. It's so hard going through anxiety and side effects when u have kids isn't it. I just want to get better and be the mum I was before the anxiety started. Keep in touch Hun and sending u hugs x
    • Posted

snap! I have such a busy family life which I enjoy very much and the anxiety just seemed frightening when I couldn't do the activities I would normally do so I am glad things are getting better. keep in touch chat soon x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.