How Long?

Posted , 2 users are following.

My Gp has just put me on 10mg of citalopram for 4 weeks and Zopiclone at night for 2 weeks.

Reason being that at times get very jittery and nervy, sinking feelings in stomach and need to

walk about, also have panic attacks about feeling this way.

Going to sleep is a problem and sometimes need to rely on sleeping tablets, I have a fear

sometimes of not falling asleep, and reading or listening to music does not help a bit, my head is full of not sleeping.

This is all really getting me down now, have struggled with this for 6/9 months now.

Been on the tablets foe 4 days now and have the following side effects:

Feeling sick, indigestion,

Dry mouth

Feeling restless, shaky, anxious, and agitated.

How long can I expect these feelings to last and is there anything to ease the discomfort.

Thanks.

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I was exactly the same as you, I am on my 13th day of cit 20mg the side effects you are getting is completely normal. my GP did not tell me this I have only learnt this from this forum which has been very helpful. Most people seem to say they take at least 4 weeks to take effect, I don.t have any problems falling asleep but wake very early in a panic which is stopping me from working at the moment but people on cit have experienced the same, so hang in there i.m sure they will work for you. You have been suffering for such a long time. Take care.
  • Posted

dear rpx

don't despair it will be ok!

Im thinking zioplcon are sleeping tablets they'll ease things as your on a low does of cits

Im on 20mg and they took about 5weeks to kick in

Keep patient look after yourself

Have lots of you time

Take care

Keep strong

• Posted

Hi Rpx

I take zopiclone as required but just a half tablet and then not more than two days in a row as it makes me feel rubbish (if i dont have a break) and I need to function for work. I did take for 5 days in a row once while on holiday and had a major panic that I was addicted and would never fall asleep naturally again. Don't worry it all sorted itself out.

I use relaxation tapes before sleep sometimes with following the breath which helps the mind slow down. Try jon kabat zinn mindfulness meditation 30 minutes breath meditation lying on back. Doing one of his relaxation tapes every day is hugely beneficial either during the day or at night or both!. I still do mine a few times a week or most days.

Also another trick i have used for twenty five years is while trying to sleep is to move the minds concentration to a point about an inch out behind the lower back. Probably about opposite the belly button at the back of the body . When your mind starts chattering take your mind back to this point and breathe easy. Good luck. I remember those sinking feelings. Things will get better for you. Keep in contact with your gp

Marbel

• Posted

Also Rpx

be wary of stimulants at night. I find chocolate, hot chocolate, tea, coffee, green tea, choc desserts after five or six pm all mean I end up having to take a zopiclone about 1 am!

• Posted

Also Rpx

I went on to 5 mg citalopram for two weeks before boosting up to 10mg for two weeks etc until on 20mg. I found this worked well. I felt yuk for the day but it past quickly. In hind sight i prob should have taken at night so would have slept through the worst effects of the increases.

• Posted

I remember it taking about 10 -14 days to acclimate to cit. Go back to your GP if you don't start to feel better soon.

I wish you well.

Best - SB

• Posted

Many thanks all for you posts of encouragement, I will indeed keep going, I wish to get over all of this.

GP has now given me some tablets for the nausea so hope that will help.

• Posted

Hi rpx

I also remember that I find magnesium helps me when I am stressed and nervy. It is a good tonic for the nervous system. I take one 300mg once a day but you could ask your pharmacist about a good dose for you. Something natural that supports your nervous function. I find camomile tea good at night for sleep.

Thinking of you

Marbel

• Posted

Thanks for that Marbel,

Feel a bit better in myself now, nausea less, it seems worse in the early part of the day, feeling a bit

restless, shaky and agitated.

But determined to stick with it and trying to carry on daily life as normal.

Another plus is that I have managed to only have 3.75mg instead of 7.5mg Zopiclone for the past 2 nights,

in hopes that I will be able give them up altogether.

Thanks for your interest

• Posted

Great,

that's a good reduction of zopiclone

By the way it was a psychologist I saw for anxiety that put me on to the mindfulness meditations by jon kabat zinn. And prob my fantastic pharmacist that recommended the magnesium.

• Posted

14 days now most of the side effects seem to be fading except for a few headaches and some mornings feeling a bit nervy/anxious.

Managed last night to get through with no zopiclone, which is a step forward, just hope I can keep it going

and get of f sleeping tablets for good and enjoy going to bed.

• Posted

As the day has gone on dont feel to good, anxious feelings a bit spaced out,

not sure if it's the Cit or zopiclone.

Seems that is how it goes a bit up and down .

• Posted

Hi Rpx

I posted on another forum a natural remedy for sleeping that my pharmacist recommended. It is made out of tart cherries and is a natural source of melatonin. The product in New Zealand is called Tru2u. They have a website. There may be something equivalent in your part of the world.

I hope I'm not overloading you with ideas but wish you to sleep easy.

• Posted

No overload Marbel, all suggestions welcome, will see what I can find out.

Thanks.

• Posted

21 days now most of the side effects have gone except some early mornings feeling a bit nervy/anxious, goes off as morning progresses.

Feel much better in myself and have been completely off the Zopiclone for 10 days now.

Pleased with progress this far, see my GP on Monday.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.