How long after a full hip replacement can I fly?

Posted , 10 users are following.

hi,

does anyone knows how long I have to wait after a full hip replacement before I can fly again?

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Next
  • Posted

The real issues are blood clots and how well you can manage sitting for a long time. As we know, plane seats are not very comfortable and that can also be an issue.

If it's a short flight, more manageable.

I took an international flight (6+ hours) about 9 months after my surgery. Reserved an aisle seat so I wouldn't have to deal with the discomfort of sitting in a tight space. I was also able to get up and move around some during the flight.

• Posted

The real issues are blood clots and how well you can manage sitting for a long time. As we know, plane seats are not very comfortable and that can also be an issue.

If it's a short flight, more manageable.

I took an international flight (6+ hours) about 9 months after my surgery. Reserved an aisle seat so I wouldn't have to deal with the discomfort of sitting in a tight space. I was also able to get up and move around some during the flight.

Good idea to check with your surgeon for advice.

• Posted

Hi there

General advice seems to indicate that you should at least hold off any flight for at least 6 weeks after surgery. After that point it is probably OK to consider a short haul flight of up to 3hrs or so. For any flight longer than say 4-5hrs you should wait for at least 12 weeks after surgery.

These guidelines will almost certainly be drawn up with a big safety margin built in but my feeling is that, for your own safety, it's best to stick with them.

As has been pointed out you should try to book an aisle seat so that you can get up and move around without having to climb over other passengers.

• Posted

A very interesting question - one I asked myself when I was exploring the possibility of having my THR in France, Prague or Lithuania. They all say that they will arrange transport back to the airport after just a few days post operative - though they do suggest that you arrange a wheelchair transfer at both ends of the journey. Flying so soon after the operation seemed a bit dodgy to me so I elected to have it carried out closer to home. Going for my pre op in a local hospital next week.

• Posted

i think that is a wise idea.

Thank you so much for your reply. 😃

• Posted

Hi I asked this question of my consultant and he said long haul is 3 months. I'm going to Jamaica in February and had my hip replaced on 1st November. Wherever you're going have a great time. You'll be pain free and able to do a lot more once your hip heals

• Posted

I can't wait for the pain to go.

Unfortunately my hip popped out and back in again last week which resulted in more pain again.

but I am sure that the pain will go in time.

And thanks for your reply 😃

• Posted

I am an American living in Indonesia, but had my hip surgery was in California. I flew back to Indonesia 8 weeks after surgery. My surgeon said it was okay. I stayed on the daily aspirin until after I arrived at my destination. I also got up and walked/stood for 5 minutes in the plan every hour (I set the alarm on my watch on vibrate in case I fell asleep in between.) I always used my cane when walking around the plane- since you never know when there might be turbulence and it can throw your balance off. I also got a wheelchair at both ends of the flight. It was a very long flight (about 19 hours), but I was surprised at how well I did.

• Posted

It really depends whether it is a short haul or a long haul flight. Ideally you should wait six to twelve weeks for short haul and at least three months for long haul.

• Posted

Thank you so much for your reply. 😃

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.