How long after a TAH could you sleep on your side?

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hello ladies

I was wondering how long it was before you could sleep on your side after a Total Abdominal Hysterectomy?  I had mine done by keyhole 20 days ago and just can't get comfortable on my side still, plus it feels strange.  It's so annoying because before this op I only ever slept on my side.

xxKathy

1 like, 23 replies

23 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Kath. Had mine TAH end of Nov and it's amazing how those difficult early days are soon forgotten. I think I could sleep comfortably on my side after about 2- 3 weeks but actually slept on my side from word go - just kept pain killers going. Take a pain killer before bedtime to see if that helps. I had bikini incision which may be different to yours. Changing from one side to another was tricky in the early days. As for sleep - well as my previous posts indicate, a complete nights sleep is a distant memory now due to menopause hot flushes. The pain will get better. Best wishes.
    • Posted

Thanks Sally.  I will try pain killers at night.  I was just worried I would do myself an injury of some sorts by lying on my side.  As with you, a complete night's sleep is also a distant memory for me.  Do you take anything for this?

xx Kathy

• Posted

Hi Kath

I am 11 weeks post op and can only lie on my side for 15 mins comfortably still. I used to sleep on my right side or on my tummy before the op and am not even contemplating my tummy that is a defo no go smile

The sleepless nights seem to have come to an end I have slept through the past 2 nights smile

• Posted

Hi dee

Do you sleep on your back most of the night?  I guess I'm early days at not quite 3 weeks then.

Glad you are now sleeping through.  It seems like I haven't had a good night's sleep forever!

xxx Kathy

• Posted

At the moment yes I do sleep on my back most of the night but I am very nervous at doing things too quick. You maybe able to lie on your side earlier than me.....All I can say is listen to your body, it will tell you when the time is right to do anything smile
    • Posted

Body is really clever And it really does tell you
  • Posted

Hi Kathy, I can't believe you are 20 days post op already, it doesn't seem possible, sorry you are having a problem sleeping as sleep is what we need most when we are healing, I'm afraid I'm not much help as I was on my side the day after my op and that was on a hard hospital bed, someone has already suggested taking pain killers before bed, ask your doc if you can double up, 2 Ibuprofen and 2 Paracetamol if you need to, they do this in hospital sometimes.

Phoebe xx

• Posted

Thanks Phoebe.  I'm seeing my doctor tomorrow evening so will ask her then.  Amazing that you slept on your side on a hard hospital bed!!!

Kathy xxx

• Posted

Hi Kath.I am new to this website and had a TAH with BSO on 19th January 2015.I am still sleeping on my back in a spare bedroom as propped up on every side with pillows .Bought a three section maternity pillow that has been a godsend.I tried to sleep on my side for the first time last night but even with a pillow under my jelly belly it just wasn't t comfy.I ordered an abdominal binder which turned up today so will try again to sleep on my side wearing that for support.Will let you know how i get on tomorrow Take Care and here's to a good nights sleep for both of us😊

Sharon x

• Posted

Hi Sharon

Glad to hear it's not just me can't sleep on my side.  I hadn't thought of the abdominal binder.  Please do let me know if this works.

Kathy x

• Posted

Hi Kathy

Went to bed wearing the binder last night and managed to get onto my side ok for a while,but i still had pillows under my tummy and behind my back.Unfortunately i woke up at about 2am in pain so took the binder off,took a codeine,had a big wee then went back to sleep on my back again

Will keep trying though as need to get rid of some pillows so there is room for my husband to share our bed again if only so we are not talking to each other through a wall. Have to say though i put the binder on again this morning and it gave me enough support that i could stand up straight without holding onto my tummy

• Posted

I was thinking about you this morninh Sharon, wondering how you got on.  Thanks for letting me know.  It sounds as if we need to give ourselves more time to sleep on our sides.

By the way, where did you get your binder from?  I thought it might be helpful for when I try and go out for a walk.

xxKathy

• Posted

Hi Kath

I got it from The Hysterectomy Association website. Cost £10.99 plus £1.99 postage.Do review it first though as it suits some people more than others.My back was hurting from walking round like Quasimodo and it has certainly enabled me to stand and walk around upright and as i day i now have my hands free rather than holding my jelly belly all the time

By the way just been out for my first walk unaccompanied a d managed to go to the second lamp post from my house😊Slow steady progress.Couldn't believe someone who posted on another website that 2 weeks post TAH withBSO went camping and canoeing not what normal people want to hear or read right now. I haven't even been out in a car as a passenger yet-have you?

Sharon x

• Posted

Hi Sharon

I have tried to go for a little walk most days, although it's suprising how 10 minutes walk wears you out isn't it?  I have been out in the car as a passenger, purely because I had an infected wound so had to go to the doctors to see the nurse every other day for dressing.  It was OK.  A little scary at first but not as bad as I thought.  I certainly haven't been camping or canoeing!!

I think we all progress at different paces, and we just need to listen to our own bodies.

Thanks for the info about the binder.  I will have a look at them, but I really must try and do my exercises as I'm sure these will help, but I keep forgetting to do them!

xxKathy

• Posted

Hi Kath.

Just one thing to point out with the binder. On Friday i felt so good on my quick morning walk wearing it that on my afternoon walk i felt like i could make it to the fourth lamp post and back as opposed to the second one.Big mistake -i think the binder have me a false sense of security😞By the time i hot back to my house i was exhausted,in agony and crying.I went back on the Codeine and took to my bed .This had a knock on affect on Saturday too as i was back on painkillers all day.Spoke to my doctor today as still really tender and she said do not increase the length of the walks for another week and do not attempt any exercises other than pelvic floor ones for another week so don't feel bad about forgetting to do them.She said pelvic floor o es and regular short walks is enough at this stage post op so Happy Days.

Now in same bed as hubby again but still cant sleep on my side i am like a snoring star fish whilst he is clinging on to his edge of the bed for dear life Lol.Hows your sleeing now

• Posted

Had abdominal h and sleep on back - only way. Started off with loads pillows everywhere. Is a little easier now and can lie flatter but no side laying yet 😢

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.