How long after a TAH could you sleep on your side?

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hello ladies

I was wondering how long it was before you could sleep on your side after a Total Abdominal Hysterectomy?  I had mine done by keyhole 20 days ago and just can't get comfortable on my side still, plus it feels strange.  It's so annoying because before this op I only ever slept on my side.

xxKathy

1 like, 23 replies

23 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Now this post is worrying me, i have never slept on my back as i am a front sleeper with my face buried in the pillow and have slept this way all my life, how am i going to cope, as i cannot sleep on my back, am i looking forward to no sleep until i can front sleep again lol ????
    • Posted

Hi

I don't want to worry you further but my issues with sleeping on my back are still continuing,but this is mainly as i took myself off the prescribed painkillers due to them causing severe constipation. Been waking every couple of hours with pain since and now also have really bad bachache in my lower lumbar area.Doctor has advised to take prescribed painkillers at bedtime and sleep more upright on more pillows as its laying too flat that is hurting my stomach.Will persevere with trying to get on my side again ASAP as this is my normal sleeping position😊As i keep saying this really is a rollercoaster recovery with all the ups and downs.On a positive note i should be on day 2 of my usual 16 day agonising period but with no bleeding as .onth the blood was trapped in my uterus

• Posted

Oops using my phone so texting is a nightmare due to bad eyesight but meant t to say the pain that caused me to have the surgery has definitely not happened this month so looks like this will definitely be a success story in the future😊😊😊😊😊
    • Posted

Believe me you will sleep - body healing and tired - anti biotics and pain killers - all make you want to sleep.

I was thinking like you but know the more I sleep and rest the better I become.

• Posted

Hello

I have been sleeping on my side since week 2. I had TAH on 10th Feb. The first week, I lay propped on pillows in the spare room but that was hurting my back. The beginning of the 2nd week I managed a few hours on my side but went on to my back again after the compulsory loo visit at about 4am (why is it always 4am?) This got longer each day and I am now mainly on my side. I slept in the same bed as hubby though and had to stay on my back. I think that the reason for this is that I have a memory foam topper on the bed that I have been using and this seems to make all the difference. I am now back in the spare room with the memory foam and sleeping quite well

• Posted

Hello. I'm new to the forum. I'm 5 weeks post open into my TAH. I was able to start driving after 4 and half weeks. As I was reading some of the other responses I noticed that several ladies are having a difficult time sleeping on their side. I tried several times to sleep on my right side aS I was able to before the surgery, now it feels aS though something is shifting and it's very uncomfortable so I sleep on my back or slightly on my left side with a pillow.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.