How long after surgery until you are feeling pretty good?

Posted , 10 users are following.

hi, I am trying to work up the nerve to go with the surgery.  Been so scared.   My husband will be the one helping watch our little ones while I undergo the operation. I have 3 large internal stage 3/4 hems and a tight sphincter.  How long should he plan to take off to help me before I will be able to resume normal routine of caring for our kids?   When with the pain be manageable? 

0 likes, 31 replies

31 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Barb

Honestly i thought id be only down for a week or two as the doc said.. Well im now on my 7th week 44 days today.

Still having painful bm. And pain last for hours after. Plus still have hemroids...

Every one is different. Many recover within two weeks. Some not so lucky like me.. And i am in fairly good health for my age. But this obviously does not matter.

Just be sure to take a fiber supplement daily actually start now.. I take Re Store A Lax. No taste no grit..n drink 2 to 3 liters of water a day.. This will keep stool soft..

Be sure to have epson salts for sitz bath n buy some diaper rash cream.. I just bought some as the prescription creams im using dont seem to ease the pain or itch as well as the diaper creams do. I have Zinncofax.. Works good so far.

Good luck n word of advise.

If your hemmies are not painful just put up with them.

This pain is horrible.. And your in for a slow long recovery..

Wish i had seen this forum before i went ahead with it and I personally wouldn't have done it.

Too late now for me though..

Good luck. Heal fast n get plenty of rest.

• Posted

I am so sorry for what you have been through!  What was it like prior to surgery?  Did you develop new hemorrhoids or did the doctor not remove them all???

My hemorrhoids have been painful and it is hard to stand for any long length of time!  I also get spasms and I THINK that is from the hemorrhoids but I havent been sure.  I tried a Pelvic Floor Therapist and she said I was tight but the problem hasn't resolved.

• Posted

I had same issues as me4444

These new roids came two weeks after. I went to walk in clinic first week to get more meds. Doc there had a look said he did a good job. Then went to emerg two weeks later as meds were not helping with pain..

They also said he did a good job. Third week back in emerg with pain 24/7 like I've never felt in my life.. Doc there couldn't touch me.. I was so swollen n had hemrroids plus skin tags come about.. Still have then today going on 7 weeks today. Very painful. Need more meds so will see family doc today and appt to see surgeon on Thursday.. I have no idea where the pain is initially coming from. But its not getting any better. I don't think im healed inside yet as well. How can one heal when they have a bm daily..

Plz reconsider this. Try the baby cream to see if they settle down n do sitz baths 2 to 3 times daily..

I feel your pain and from this experience it did not go so well with me.. A lot of pain n suffering more so now then before i had this surgery.

Take care and I pray you get through this.

• Posted

Hi, I have similar issues like you. The healing process unfortunately takes time in some people. Do you take any laxatives? I take 2 sachets of macrogol per day to keep stool soft. This is very important. Can you sit without pain throughout the day? Also do you notice any blood after BMs?

• Posted

I took just under 2 weeks off work and to be honest , I could have done with at least another week . My husband took 5 days off ( our children are grown up ) and I'm glad he did . I'm 5 weeks post surgery today and even though I feel so much better than I did a few weeks ago , I'm still on that slow road to recovery . To be honest , if you're not in that much pain and they don't bother you , don't go through with the surgery . I've had external haemorrhoids and skin tags for years and had one flare up this year so decided to go and see someone about them as they were thrombosed. By the time my surgery date came around 2 months later they had settled down and were no bother . This recovery has been so much worse than any of the problems I had before and if I had known just how I would be after surgery , I would never have had it done . I still have pain , burning , itching , aching post bowel movements that last for hours after and it seems I still have a couple of small haemorrhoids and an open area that I believe was where the large skin tag was .  I wish you all the best if you go ahead and a speedy and comfortable recoverysmile 

• Posted

Thanks for sharing that info.  I am so torn and SCARED!   Were all of your hemorrhoids external?  What do you do for pain after your bowel movements now? 
  • Posted

Go for Laser Surgery it will be less painful and recover quickly otherwise traditional surgery might take 1 month al least all depends on bowel movements.
    • Posted

Did you do laser surgery?  I have looked and looked- all the colon-rectal surgeons here in PA seem to use the traditional method.  I am not sure if there are doctors in PA that do the laser for hemorrhoidectomy's?   Do you have any other info about it?  I saw the one place in Arizona but I didn't know if it was legit or a hoax.

• Posted

Yes I did 2 weeks ago. I am from India, so I am not sure where to find but you can google. I will says pain was minimal or no only during BM and if you take stool softener than it will be very less.
  • Posted

Hi - ive Just hadn’t two internal removed and a large external Skin Tag with stitches. I’m now on day 12 and I am still having help look after a 3 yr old. I can manage for a few hours with her at home if she can play by herself or watch a film, but I can’t sit on the floor with her and sitting at the table is uncomfortable as our dining chairs are wooden.

I’d say give yourself at least two weeks before you’re caring for young children again by yourself.

I would recommend the surgery though, it’s unbelievably painful (the first two poo’s were like giving birth again, then after that it was like a freight train of razor blades and now it’s just small razor blades which are dulling each day) but it does improve and the end result will be loads better. As long as you are sensible with what you eat and can spend the first week lying down to rest with a regular bath. 

Days 3-6 are the worst coz you start to poo again after being cleared out for surgery but there’s been a definite turning point since day 8 and now it’s a gradual daily improvement over time. 

Good luck, I hope it works out for you.

• Posted

Thanks for the info!!  I am glad you are passed the worst!!  I have had the bandings done for the internals and I thought that was painful and kept me up at night so I am just really worried.  But these internal hems have been altering my life so much-  I can hardly stand long, forget day trips with the family, even grocery shopping for an hour is so painful and by the end I am hardly able to walk to my car.  What were your hems like before hand? 

i Just hope if I go with the surgery it will solve the problem.  I have spasms I think and sometimes if I stand too long I feel like I need to have a bowel movement even if I dont- and then if I sit I feel better.  I am 33.  This is ridiculous and I need my life back!  I want to enjoy life!

• Posted

Wow they sound bad. Mine were nowhere near that bad. My main issue was the Skin Tag, it was about the size of my thumb and squashy like a marshmallow between my butt cheeks. It made hygiene impossible and I felt constantly sore and itchy, plus I could feel it’s squashiness when sitting. I didn’t have any of the pain that you describe.

If it’s that bad for you, I would say get the surgery done. If you’re mentally prepared for the pain and physically prepared (there’s some great tips on here like frozen nappies to ease swelling, use salt or tea tree oil in the bath, eat mainly soup and fruit etc) then you’ll get through it and at least there will be an end in sight.

I still have an open wound but I can see that once it’s healed and I’m less sore, then the problem will have gone for me.

Everyone had a different experience and there are lots of horror stories out there, I was really scared about how it would be and I’ve not found it as bad as expected. So don’t think that the only way is a horrible experience, hopefully I am an example of a positive experience and yes it was painful but it’s getting better. Bear in mind that people won’t be likely to share their experience if it wasn’t worth moaning about so if it’s good they’re unlikely to share it on a forum.

I’m 34 so I know how you feel. You need your life back and to enjoy time with your family. I’ve gained loads of weight through being unable to exercise due to this and other gynae probs I had after birth which have been operated on also. Now it’s all done, I’m almost back to pre-birth normal and SO looking forward to shifting the weight and getting my life back. Do it, you deserve to enjoy life.

• Posted

Thank you so much for the encouragement.  How are you feeling today and how did you make it through Thanksgiving?  
    • Posted

Hi, I’m on day 17 now and feel almost completely normal at rest, sitting is now fine. I’m in the UK so we don’t have Thanksgiving. I got my Dr to sign me off work for another week as I’m still a bit sore and I think that should be plenty. I will have had three weeks off then. 

BMs are still sore but not as bad as they were and it’s a little sore for a while after but doesn’t stop me doing anything. I can wear jeans now too which is a bonus.

My main issue now is itching. You know when you have a scab that is healing and it itches...I have that feeling a lot. I guess it’s a good thing as it means the outer wound is healing and the new skin is forming, but my goodness it drives me mad. A wet wipe brings a bit of relief. I’ve also been using this olive oil balm (http://www.hollandandbarrett.com/shop/product/dr-organic-virgin-olive-oil-bio-balm-60086371?skuid=086371&&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google&utm_adid=210906234626&utm_adgID=58700002702351962&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIoYbggdzb1wIVS7XtCh1PEQpEEAQYAiABEgIlx_D_BwE) with vitamin c, cocoa butter, arnica etc that I have used on surgery scars before and it seems to be soothing and making the outer wound less raw. I just rub a little in after a shower. 

Have you come to a decision about whether to go ahead with it?

• Posted

Hello Barb.

How are you healing. I will be 8weeks this Tuesday. Still cant go back to work as im still having a lot if pain.. Mornings are bad as i have my bm first thing then suffer the rest of the day. Around between 3 n 5pm i can function but not near my normal life i had prior to this.

Do u know anyone that has gone through this surgery and had to have another within two months time? Im looking to know how they were after 2nd time. Im scared to death to go under again. Im booked for Dec 12. Surgeon says he wants to do rectal exam but cant unless he puts me under as he tried this last week and my anus. Well to me its so closed up tight i cant even see the opening my self and its been too painful to even think of putting any creams in let alone have a doctors finger inserted in me doing a rectal exam..

He also said he may have to cut again... Really not looking forward to this. I hope to have my life back before this date comes.

Any one who has had a similar issue like I plz share.

Hope you are on the mend Barb

• Posted

Oh gosh sorry i sent the previous text to you.. Didn't realize you had not had the surgery yet. I meant to send to Lolly125.

• Posted

Lolly plz read the recent thread to Bard.. I posted my message to her but had meant it for you.

Sorry for the confusion .

Meds mess with my mind. Cant think straight.. So if u will plz read Barbs thread .

Thx Hope u r doing well.

• Posted

Oh wow, I’m so sorry, that sounds awful! I’m now on day 18 post op and almost feel normal. BMs are still painful and am sore for a while after but I can now wear jeans again and go about my normal day, just need a rest and loose clothing at the end. 

I have read about people using dilators to widen their opening. I had these vaginally after I tore during child birth and was stitched back together too tight. Eventually, I had to be cut and restitched to correct it as I was in too much pain from scar tissue. But the dilators are smooth plastic cylinders of differing thickness that you insert in size order over a period of time to gently stretch the tissue. However, it sounds as though that would be too painful for you. 

I understand your fears but further surgery could fix the issues you are experiencing. I guess you have to ask yourself if you don’t go ahead with it, can you potentially live this way? If the answer is no, I’d say trust the Dr and go for further surgery/examination. Best that you’re under and therefore unaware until you come round. 

Good luck and fingers crossed for a more positive outcome. 

• Posted

Thank you for replying back.

Seriously I cannot live this way. Its takin away my quality of life. I cant work. I cant exercise. I cant go shopping as waking n standing for too long is painful..

My social life is NIL.

Glad I have friends who call to see how im doing but sad that i cant get out to enjoy spending time with them on weekends.

I miss my work and need my life back. Ppl at my job have no idea why I'm off. In seven yrs I've not taken time off due to illness. Im never sick. So this is a shock to them as well. And i cant tell them my problem as its to personal and it will spread like wild fire to 300 co workers lol..

Trying to stay positive but its not easy when you have to begin your day with pain and turn to narcotics to help u cope . There is no way i want to become addicted to pain pills I only take one a day in the morning. By early or late evening its tolorable

At least I can sleep as this is all I've been doing 80% of my recovery.

Yes i believe it is scar tissue causing my pain.

Im hoping to find other alternatives before surgery again.

Just happy that you are doing well..

One day at a time I will get there myself.

😉

• Posted

Does it feel like you have a knife inside you? I felt like that in my vagina for two years after the birth of my daughter which was caused by scar tissue from tearing. Even though I had surgery to widen my vaginal opening and remove some of the scar tissue, I still felt the pain and it made no real difference. I then sought a private gynaecologist which was expensive and did my own research. From what I read, I asked her about silver nitrate treatment and she did this on me once a week for four weeks. It was THE most painful thing ever (imagine someone putting a red hot polker inside you and rubbing it around). Because it chemically burns the scar tissue away and cauterises the nerve endings. BUT it was the one thing that progressed and eased my pain overall. It burned like hell for a day or two and then felt WORLDS better. I just lay in a cool bath for ages. I would recommend researching it - there are lots of forums discussing different people’s experiences. Maybe ask your Dr or Surgeon if he thinks this could work for you?
    • Posted

Funny you should ask.

I did some research and found some items herbal products that can dissolve scar tissue..

Im thinking of trying if i can find these products and one is Colloidal Silver.

The constant pain after the Glass like sharp painful bms are achy throbbing and my legs and butt checks ache as well.

Im will to try anything to get over this.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.