How long after surgery until you are feeling pretty good?

Posted , 10 users are following.

hi, I am trying to work up the nerve to go with the surgery.  Been so scared.   My husband will be the one helping watch our little ones while I undergo the operation. I have 3 large internal stage 3/4 hems and a tight sphincter.  How long should he plan to take off to help me before I will be able to resume normal routine of caring for our kids?   When with the pain be manageable? 

0 likes, 31 replies

31 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I just had my surgery 6 days ago. My husband only took off 5 days including surgery day, so only 4 days after surgery. Yesterday was my first day alone with all 3 of my kids. You (thankfully) were sick that they couldn't go to school, because I was in no position to drive. And my husband had to leave work early to come home and help me. I managed on my own for most of the day, but I barely remember it because I was in and out of consciousness. And by 4pm I was shaking in pain because I hadn't taken a narcotic the whole time. My doctor told me by 1 week I should be able to resume my normal routine. And I just don't see that happening. While recovery hasn't been as bad as I expected reading here, it certainly is worst than what my surgeon said. And honestly I feel like a pre-requisite to do the surgery in someone, they should have to do it and deal with recovery. Because I was not prepared by my doctor for this crap. 

How long should your husband take off wth a kid at home.  2-3 weeks is possible. No less than two weeks. 

• Posted

Thanks for your advice.  I am so sorry for what you are going through.  How bad were your hems before hand?  I sure hope you are past the worst.  I have seen SO many colon rectal surgeons-  most of them act like the surgery is nothing.  The one I am seeing now wants me to try to keep banding to try to improve them- but I have done over 6 bandings!  And My symptoms have not improved.  I am glad the recovery hasn't been as bad as your read.  These forums are horrific and I feel like I have no idea how I am going to get through this!!

• Posted

My hems were bad only a few days or a week out of every other month.  Very painful even when not on the toilet, lots of bleeding and pain. So they were pretty bad when they flared.

I finally pooped this morning. And the pain during and after was by far worst than anything I have ever felt. (And I've had 3 csections). But within a couple of hours I'm feeling a lot better. I have only taken Motrin, no narcotics, and I'm barely in pain. So I'll say it gets better. My husband had to come home during my poop session. But he returned to work. Today makes exactly one week, and while I still feel like I have at least 2-3 weeks of healing to feel even slightly normal. Today feels like I'm out of the darkness. 

• Posted

Has it continued to improve for you?  How are you the past few days?  I was wondering too if your hems were internal or external?
    • Posted

Go for Laser surgery it is less painful there will be pain only during BM. It's almost 3 weeks now after my laser surgery. And it is painful only during BM and that depends how hard your stool is.

• Posted

Thankfully I am feeling so much better. Once I was able to regulate my poop I am feeling almost normal. I only have pain right before a bowel movement (from the pressure) and during depending on how hard the stool. But mostly after. After I poop the pain is almost unbearable, feels like someone is pouring lava into my hole. I have to immediately get into the bath tub, it's very horrible. But outside of that, I have little to no pain. I do have anal leakage (so gross I know) so I have to wear a pad because it doesn't stop, even though it's not much. It's caused Bacterial infection in my lady parts which also sucks. I'm still barely eating (I think the constipation and then diarrhea caused me to be truamatized.) so I'm trying to get my appetite back. 

I had grade 3 internal and external hems. "Quite large" as the doctor put it. 

• Posted

I'm thinking about Having the surgery at the end of this period. If you're still on here how are you doing now and did they come back?

• Posted

How are you doing now and have your hemorrhoids come back. i'm really worried about that.

• Posted

Hi Barb,

Today is day number 14 post op for me. 

I will say that the first week after surgery was nothing short of a nightmare......especially days 3,4 and 5. I sat in the bathtub a lot.  I have 4 young children, so I had lots of help from my mom and husband that first week. Around day 7 post op things turned around for the better, which was good because I was feeling a little bit despaired. I quit taking natcotics on day 8 or so and just started taking ibuprofen. Honestly that helped more with the swelling than the narcotics did! Having Bm's and getting those under control with stool softners and mirilax was a bit tricky and trial and error. I feel like I finally have control on that. Bm's are still a bit painful, but tolerable. I'm a massage therapist and started working again today......easing my way back into it. I truly did not think last week that I would feel this good on day 14. Reading all this stuff beforehand can be scary, but I feel if you can get through that first week, then you will be fine. Trust me, 2 weeks ago I was wondering why on earth I did this, but everyday i feel improvement! I wish you the best!

• Posted

Was out and about after a week. First 2 days were fine as still anaesthetised, first BMs awful till around day 5/6. Another week of slight discomfort but all fine with lidocaine. Am now 2.5 weeks on and am 100% better. Had 3 internal and 3 huge external cut out under GA.  And no enema or 'clear out' before the op, which would have made a very very big difference. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.