How long after symptoms from an outbreak can you have sex

Posted , 14 users are following.

Today I was stressed out about something and I felt what usually feels like to me the oncoming of an outbreak. I checked but there are no signs of blisters. I'm on suppressive therapy and have been so for about a year and a half now. I doubled up on valtrex today to try to stop the outbreak in it's tracks. My boyfriend is coming to visit in 2 days and I just wanted know was it safe to have sex.

1 like, 26 replies

26 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Sherry, I don't know if you know but your probably shouldn't have sex with your boyfriend because there is what is called a shedding process from within the vaginal system that can spread the virus to him.  This can happen when it is developing and during an outbreak.  If you are going to break out you will soon know. Sorry, honey, but it is best to protect him and anyone you may ever come in contact with.  It is a very unpleasant thing to live with and you will live with it forever.  It will get better and less frequent breakouts, but it is a forever thing.
    • Posted

Thanks for your advice Jacqueline. If I do have an outbreak how long will I need to wait to have sex again?
    • Posted

Sorry jackie. Your advice is not acurate. 80 percent of people dont ever show symptoms. And theres a fair chance her boyfriend already has it. 1 in 6 sexually active people have it so theres a strong chance someone i have sex with this weekend will have it. Condoms dont fully protect against it so unless everybody stops having sex id say she can be intimate with her boyfriend
    • Posted

A fair chance or strong [u]strong chance[/u] is not a positive, so on that account if I cared about my boyfriend I would wait.  I don't know if the 80% is accurate.  I would have to do some research on that myself. Thanks for your input.
    • Posted

You're right.. you should do your research. 20% of the population has it. 1 in 5 people. Of those 20%, 80% of them do not know they have it because they show little or no signs.

• Posted

I think you shouldn't unless you are feeling ok... But as long as you are on meds and you aren't having an active outbreak then you can do it...I would just make sure you use protection... If you guys don't already
    • Posted

Thanks Noelle. I feel fine I just had a little tingling but I have no sign of blisters. I think I might wait. How long should I wait before it's safe again?
    • Posted

sometimes the tingling is from the medication. I know after I did my first 10 days of medication when I was first diagnosed it had that effect on me. So if you are always taking medication I'm sure this has something to do with it... But I don't know bc I'm

Not on medication...

• Posted

I have been researching GH like crazy ever since suspected it and was diagnosed, and from what I can gather, newly infected individuals are most "contagious" during the first year (which is why suppressive therapy in the first year may be advisable), and all infected individuals are most "contagious" during outbreaks.

This includes the prodrome period (typically one day before lesions) until all lesions have healed. I suppose it wouldn't hurt to wait a couple of extra days after that. If you don't have any lesions, just tingling, then that's harder to say. Best thing is to take all other precautions, like suppressive therapy (starting at least five days before sex) and condoms.

• Posted

Just found another relevant answer from an expert on MedHelp. If you are able to avoid a full-blown outbreak by upping your antiviral meds, the advice is to wait 3-4 days before sex.
  • Posted

Thanks everyone for your advice. It has been extremely helpful. Although I have no blisters or lesions I've decided to wait until I have no prodrome symptoms at all to be with my boyfriend again.
  • Posted

Hello, I was recently diagnosed. My I'm talking valtrex and my doctor said I should be ok after the ten days but I'm so terrified I might give it to my bf. He knows about it and says so long as there are no sores we are ok. Thank you for posting this because just reading it helped me.

• Posted

I just wanted to tell you guys, that miracles do happen! my sister, who was also diagnosed, came home the other night talking about she has a cure! So initially I responded, "yeah right". She replied, "Okay, well when I'm over here cured, and you're still blistery, don't say I did not try. She goes on to explain this "miracle vitamin". Yes, a vitamin!

I promise this is truthfully what happened last night. Same sister brought one of these magic capsules home, gave me instructions as to how to make a paste with it, and "promised" if I applied it, "my situation" would be gone in the morning.

I was Hesitant at first, putting this concoction on my lady parts. But if you're like any other woman I've known to be diagnosed with this, you'll consider trying anything.

Well, I'm overjoyed, elated, and blessed to tell you IT FREAKIMG WORKED! Like, the blistery, irritated lesions - no more. I mean I still feel like "scar tissue" from bumps, but I KNOW they're gone - at least dead. Non itchiness, no irritation! I plan to meet with the merchandiser today to get my 30 day supply, as well find out what exactly I was rubbing "down yonder". I keep you all in my prayers.

• Posted

May have missed it in your post but what is this vitamin called?
    • Posted

Sounds like a scam post, so best to disregard. Once people start saying "miracle" and "cured" in relation to herpes, you know it's not likely legit.

• Posted

I thought so lol. I'm newly diagnosed so I'm trying to do as much research ad possible to lead A healthier lifestyle. Sounded good for about two seconds 😂 Thanx a bunch!

• Posted

Lead a healthy, balanced diet and lifestyle and you'll be on the right path! 👍

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.