How long are people waiting for THR surgery?

Posted , 19 users are following.

I waited 48 weeks to see a consultant re a THR. Saw surgeon 4 weeks ago and was told it will be done in 12 weeks. To you think this is realistic? The waiting is terrible, I feel as if my life is on hold. I’m in the Lothian health board area. Consult was at Edinburgh royal infirmary but I have agreed to go to golden jubilee hospital in Clydebank to help speed things up.

1 like, 19 replies

19 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Saw my consultant end of march and got my preop date for 29th august and im james cook Middlesbrough, so im on countdown now im still working at the moment but do struggle on most days😐

• Posted

Hi Julie, glad to hear you have at least got your pre op date. I’m sure you will get your surgery very soon after that. I’m the same struggle most days but I just keep going. Good luck 🍀

• Posted

Hi Lal

I am from glasgow and my own consultant decided to take early retirement so he had to refer me to another surgeon...which took 16 weeks.. better than 48...but...then that consultant had a really long waiting list and I had 2 dates which they coudnt achieve and was then told be another 5 months...total year and a half from original decision to go on list.... so to cut a long story short I ended up in The Golden jubilee and I am so glad I went there, everyone was amazing from x ray to pre op, to theatre staff. It is a well oiled machine and I felt really well taken care of throughout the whole process. 12 months later at 55 I feel a new woman and couldnt be healthier...it was a childhood problem I had which had been great all my life but suddenly deteriorated and I thought I was going be like that for rest of my life...I really didnt beleive how transforming it would be. anyway...that isnt wasnt your question but I got carried away in my enthusiasm for the Golden Jubilee and their skilled surgeon. So if you get offer of there, go for it, you are in good hands.

• Posted

Thank you osprey, that’s very reassuring. So glad that the hip replacement has totally transformed your life. I hope for a similar outcome when I eventually get my surgery.

Take care and thanks again.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.