How long (average) does it take for Graves' disease to go away

Posted , 41 users are following.

Hi, I'm a 16 year old girl and I've just been diagnosed with Graves' disease (2 weeks ago) and so I have an over active thyroid. I've been feeling so ill for ages with fatigue, headaches, sweating and not being able to control my body temperature, anxiety and panic attacks and getting little to no sleep at all. I'm now taking 30mg of carbimizole and beta blockers and have been referred to the endocrinologist. I've just started sixth form and I have already had to miss half a term because of my Graves' disease and it's just really starting to get me down a lot and from what I've been reading, it seems like it takes quite a while to get rid of Graves' disease so I was just wondering if anyone had any idea how long it'll take for my Graves' disease to go away, thank you!!

2 likes, 50 replies

50 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Lou. Welcome to the forum.

I'm sorry you're feeling ill. Now that you're on carbimazole and beta blockers you should

start to feel better soon.

Unfortunately there's no cure for Graves disease, but it can be kept under control with

treatment. I first started with Graves many years ago, had a course of carbimazole and I

was fine until three years ago when it flared up again. With it being the second time it

had flared up I was offered radioactive iodine or removal of my thyroid. I decided on the

RAI.I'm on thyroxine for life, but I feel fine now, back to normal. Or what passes for

normal anyway. lol

I hope you're one of the lucky ones, you have a course of carbimazole and you're fine.

If you do have to have further treatment then it's really nothing to worry about.

Take care, and let us know how you get on.

Marigold

• Posted

Hello,

Is it easily to have it remove? I have 2 young girls and I am scary to have them remove. I experienced weight gain, hair loss, pain on my kneecap, trouble going to sleep at night and always coughing with shorless of breath. Of course my neck looks swollening.

• Posted

Hi Marigold, I'm new with Graves' disease. Last May, I was losing weight, heart palpitation, feeling weak, etc. I was diagnosed and treated with Graves' disease last June. I am taking Methimazole 30mg and Propranolol 20mg. I'm scared because of eye disease (bulging, etc.). Will I get eye disease? How long were you treated with Graves' disease? Do you get eye disease? I'm very glad you are doing very well after RAI treatment. 

• Posted

Ahh okay, thank you so much and I will do! smile
  • Posted

Hi. I've just been diagnosed with hyperthyroidism. Been feeling f

Really ill for abt 3months. First I thought it was a sickness bug. Just feeling sick and generally unwell. After abt 3 weeks of this my eyes have swollen up so big that someday all I can see is the swelling. My own doctor is not that good. He gave me antihistamine and eye drops and said it was an allergic reaction. After another 3 weeks of tho do went back, luckily for me my doctor was on holiday. The other doctor I'd a thorough exam.

Ordered bloods and an ECG. ECG e

Results where 128 beats per minute. The c

Doc has started me on the carbimazole tablets. 20mg and I have an appointment at the hospital 5th February

Eyeshade still big and puffy. Their not getting ant better and I just constantly feel sick and hungry. Have hand and leg tremors. Christmas is my busiest time of year. So you will a

No how tired I've been feeling

Just want to feel normal.

Thank you for reading. Rant over.

Vicki. Xx

• Posted

Hi Vicki.

I have been diagnosed with hyperactive thyroid 3 months ago. I have been hospitalised for high heart rate, tremors , itching/hives, knee pain, my arms gone skinny , blood red hands, my eyes were burning and an inflamed gut. Dr Josh Axe has an excellent website on using foods that heal. He is on the Youtube type his name and see. One of the main reason why we are sick is vitamins and mineral defiencies, parasites, electro magnetic chaos and gut health. thats from Kevin Trudeau Who has written the book 'The Cures "they do no want you to know." I met him and thanked him for his book.

80 percent of immunity is in the gut. G I tract can have too much bad bacteria which cause a flurry of problems inc Get a gut test and address your nutritional defiencies and change the way you eat.

There is more help in nature Vicki than in man-made medicine. There is plenty to hope for! When your up to it you can do the research and still take your meds but change your lifestyle .Take selenium, omega 3,aswaghanda herb, coconut water and herbs for the thyroid and gut health. This will be a fight but your not alone in this battle. Fear not, you will feel better. An old scripture from the Bible says - the healing of the nations is in the leaves of the trees. eg the Barberry tree - the leaves when turn red kills malaria, and the advocado leaves are used for gall stones.Things dont act overnight so be patient and do all you can to fight for your health. Take care my dear and do the research. xxx

Maxine

• Posted

Hi Vicki 

Its great to hear about reversing it naturally ??,as I was diagnosed with graves 7 months ago just after I had my second baby,because I am currently breastfeeding and not able to take medicine but are taking supplements and vitamins 

c.

I also had heart paplutions,tremors and my eyes are bulgy.

i found after taking my supplements my heart paplutions are not as bad,but I was just wondering did yours eyes have calmed down?.

As my eyes are swollen and they not the same.

Many Thanks 🙏 

sophia 

• Posted

Hi Maxine,

So glad to hear you was able to reverse a natural approach,I was just wondering did your eyes calmed after a natural way,as currently i am breastfeeding and was diganosed 7 months ago after my second.

i did have heart paplutions and tremors,and my eyes are bulgy,but I am taking supplements and vitamin c,and find my heart is not has bad.

Many Thanks 🙏 

Sophia 

• Posted

Since Graves is an autoimmune disease, it never goes away but does go into remission. I had my thyroid gland removed yesterday and will start the thyroid hormone medication in 5 days. My Dr informed me this morning, I may be able to stop all blood pressure meds. I pray my eyes stop being attacked!  

Carol

• Posted

Hi carol

Thank you,wow hope qll goes well,how long did you had to wait till you was able to get it removed?

As currently breastfeeding ans not able tp take any meds,but yes my eyes are the concern as they are not the same.😣

With my first son i had hashmitos around the same age as my second son when he was 5 months old.

Then diganosed with graves with my second.

Hope all the recover goes well.

• Posted

Hi sophia,  The problem with Graves disease is it attacks your organs. I started having symptoms about a year or so ago snd now my heart is enlarged and I have high blood pressure.  And it has attacked my eyes. My surgeon told me today, since they removed all of my thyroid because of the Graves, the symptoms should stop. I should be able to stop the blood pressure meds.  I am older but you should probably get a complete check up with an endo dr. Some cases are cancerous. Not trying to scare you just educate. It is serious. I live in Texas and just got my medicare so I now have insurance and was able to go to the Dr. you need to be on meds to slow your thyroid down.  Grandma talking. Lol.  Please, for yout kiddos, go to the Dr. get your bloodwork to nake sure your organs, liver, heart etc, are not being attacked. All of mine are.  My heart has slowed so much I hardly notice.  That is good. 

Carol

• Posted

I would seek out doctors who are familiar with Graves and my doctors are women! They call me with lab results to let me know what to do!  Graves is not to be taken lightly. Have you have a sonogram of your thyroid?  I have no cancer in mine.  

Carol

• Posted

Hello,

I HAD graves for 2 years and now it has completely cleared up and I am on no medication at all.  I first noticed something was wrong in 2010 when my legs felt like jelly when I got out of bed, then I have severe headaches upon waking up too.  My hands started shaking, I had night sweats, was losing weight, and my heart was racing.  I put it down to the menopause because I was aged 50 at the time.  It was not until my eyes starting bulging a little and my eyelids were retracting that my twin sister said that something was wrong and to go to the doctor.  I was sent to the eye clinic because my visiion was now blurred.  During the eye examination a doctor happened to be walking past through an open doorway and took one look at me and said "you have overactive thyroid".  I was confused because I thought there was only a problem with my eyes.  She said she was 99.9% certain I had Graves disease and to go back to my doctor for a referal.  She was correct - it was Graves.  After taking tablets, steroid eye drops and creams my symptoms were slowly taken care of.  Regular trips to have blood tests and eye tests were also on the cards.  After 2 years there was no need to carry on witht he tablets as my blood tests were now normal and my eyes felt normal too.  It was all about th eyes for me as that is what people see every day and it was literally 2 years before I could say that they felt and looked "normal" again.  

There is hope at the end of the tunnel but it is a long process for which some patients never recover fully from.  It is a much more serious condition that having an underactive thyroid and should be dealt with ASAP.

• Posted

Hi,

I was just wondering what tablets it is that you were on.

Thank you

• Posted

Hi Onslow

I would like to know your medaction, was it carbimazole as some doctors know more then others and you say you are ok now

Thank you for your time

JB

• Posted

I just read your post... very uplifting I too was diagnosed with Graves. and epizode with heart racing losing weight ex... of course I went straight to the cardiologist who diagnosed me through blood tests. I have one eye( right) that retracted just a little bit, after about 9 months. I am praying it goes back to normal I'm so self conscious, I have been on Methimazole 5mg a day for about a year 1/2. Everything is back to normal and should be going of meds soon. I too have a twin sister I am 56.

are you still in remission? and have your eyes gone back to normal. You give me hope.

• Posted

I was just diagnosed a month ago with Graves. I wouldn't have known had it been for my eyes. I went to an opthamologist for watery, red eyes. He immediately said to I needed to check my thyroid. Sure enough blood work came back positive for hyperthyroid. I am on Methimazole but my eyes are not improving. Now the lids are completely swollen and retracted. My eyes are more protruded and I have some pressure in the eye socket. How long will this last? It's scary when I look at myself in the mirror. The Prednisone I was also prescribed hasn't helped.

• Posted

Good morning, I know it's scary however they can slow the thyroid down. Glad you are on the Methimazole the way I understand it you are in the active stage of Graves. Keep doctors appointments for thyroid blood levels( every 3 weekss) for thyroid and eye doctors every 2 months, get a thyroid scan too that's what I did.

My right eye the only one effected has not changed since the intial change after I was diagnosed 6 months( I had an epizode with my heart beating 142 beats a min for about 4 hours) of course I went straight to the cardiologist.  my eyes are normal at  8mm and the right eye is10 mm eyelid retraction. Do you mind if I ask you how old you are ?I'm 56. just doing as much research as I can. You will be fine and I know when your eyes change it is so concerning.

Please keep in touch as I will do the same.

Emis Moderator comment: I have removed the link(s) directing to site(s) unsuitable for inclusion in the forums. If users want this information please use the Private Message service to request the details.

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398331-private-messages

• Posted

Thanks so much for your reply. I have an appt. with another endocrinologist because the first one I went to said my levels weren't that bad and that I should schedule another appt. with her in three months. I also have an appt. with an ocular plastic surgeon and a neuro ophthalmologist this month. Physically I feel okay. My eyes are the most affected. I'm 54. Prior to being diagnosed I felt extremely warm. I was anxious. I was very hungry all the time and had trouble falling asleep. I thought it was all due to menopause.

• Posted

Hi ,

It sounds like you are on top of your thyroid disease😊 I know I had the same symptons,except the episode with my heart racing and losing weight. I am so upset about my eye it's just the one eye I'm so self conscious about it so I wear glasses now😪 I'm hopeful it will go back to normal eventually ugh....

"In thyroid eye disease, the eye findings often do not closely mirror the patient's endocrine status. Although the immune process affects both the eyes and the thyroid, the two processes are often out of sync with each other." Please do keep me posted because I learn from hearing other people's stories.

• Posted

Yes, I will definitely keep you posted after my visit with the new endo and ocular plastic doctor. My mother passed away from scleroderma (a very rare autoimmune disease) and I found more information on Scleroderma on the Internet than on Thyroid Eye Disease. It's a little frustrating not to have answers.

• Posted

That will be great to keep in touch are both your eyes affected? I just have one😬 It's a strange disease but trying to find out everything I can about Hyper/ Graves

Sometimes I often wonder is it hormones stress or hereditary my Mom Little sis have hypo which is better then hyper. My Grandma on my mothers side had hyper

• Posted

Yes, both my eyes are affected equally. I'm taking lots of supplements now including selenium and l'carnitine...will definitely stay in touch with you.

• Posted

Wow I couldn't have told that tale any different. It is exactly what I'm going through at the moment.I am 40 and all this started boxing day when I felt like I'd been hit by a truck. I work full time and am constantly on my feet.My vision is blurred and look like I am staring, really scary. After reading about it on different forums I instantly stopped smoking after 25 years. I have shifted that lingering stone that I've been trying to get rid of for a year. That's the only bonus...lol

My eyes are precious and I hate them looking like this, it's making me feel conscious and I'm avoiding eye contact with people now. I'm contemplating getting my eyes tested for glasses but as my medication hasn't been sorted out yet I'm in two minds. I'm just wondering if my vision will return to normal when my meds are sorted or does it take a while or does it never return back to normal?

• Posted

Your post is so helpful as I today have been confirmed having hyperthyroidism the whole way I found out was because I thought my right eye was drooping and my vision was slightly foggy, my doctor pretty much immediately said I must have a thyroid problem and had nurses look at my eye and say the left eye was bulging and how people commonly think it's one eye sagging. This is the most problematic issue for me because like you said this is what everyone sees and I like to wear makeup and it doesn't look right, I just am very unhappy with my appearance. I def have always had issues with my body temperature and having anxiety but just attributed this to being awkward or shy. Glad to know there's a happy ending hopefully at the end of this for me. Fingers crossed!

• Posted

How many milligrams were you on when you suffered from Graves?
    • Posted

I really wish Onslow would answer, I have just been diagnosed and I am soooo scared..... I have always taken care of myself, I workout, have a healthy diet and then this happened, I feel my world crumbling and I'm scared of gaining weight. I'm 5"3 and weigh 110.... I'm scared.... 

• Posted

Hi Onslow! I hope you are doing great, I was wondering if you could help my path thru this disease, I am 29 and have just been diagnosed. Your story is giving me a bit of hope and i wanted to ask what pills you were on? I was prescribed methamizole 5mg. I was wondering if that what you are taking, my eyes have slowly gone back to normal. I have noticed that when i am exposed to THC my eyes seem normal for that day, I am actually self conducting a study to see if there is a way that THC levels can lower the T4 and T3 hormone. I have been recording it and i hope there is hope....

I also hope these pills help me, i think one of the worst moments is feeling you do not look as pretty as before since your eyes do not look the same. I have avoided conversations and talking to people because of this problem. I haven't felt as pretty in a very long time, i have also stopped wearing make up since i was hopeful this was an allergy...but i was so wrong. I wear my glasses all the time, even at the gym....I dont like when people look, cause of my lack of confidence.... your post gives me hope and i hope to hear back from you! XOXO

• Posted

I've been diagnosed last August 2017 of hyperthyroidism and my eyes started bulging around 2nd week of august. and now all my relatives and friends noticed that I really have a big eyes now because before I have a chinky eyes. This thread really helped me a lot to not lose hope that my eyes would somehow go back to its normal look. 

• Posted

Your reply has opened a window of hope for me.  Thank you
    • Posted

Hi Tori, may I ask how you getting on now with grace eye diesease? Sorry I know it’s a post over a year ago, but I am new to this disease, taking a high dose 40mg of neomercazole for 3 weeks now. Not yet see a difference. Both eyes affected. A lot pressure and pain, not blurred vision. Very worried. All updates or information welcome. Thank you 
    • Posted

Hi there Onslow,  Im glad to hear Graves can go into remission.  I pray it does with me soon!  I believe I have been misdiagnosed for many years because I have just progressively gotten worse.  I have good doctors who seem to be knowledgable about Graves Disease.  

Good luck to you!  Carol

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.