How long (average) does it take for Graves' disease to go away

Posted , 41 users are following.

Hi, I'm a 16 year old girl and I've just been diagnosed with Graves' disease (2 weeks ago) and so I have an over active thyroid. I've been feeling so ill for ages with fatigue, headaches, sweating and not being able to control my body temperature, anxiety and panic attacks and getting little to no sleep at all. I'm now taking 30mg of carbimizole and beta blockers and have been referred to the endocrinologist. I've just started sixth form and I have already had to miss half a term because of my Graves' disease and it's just really starting to get me down a lot and from what I've been reading, it seems like it takes quite a while to get rid of Graves' disease so I was just wondering if anyone had any idea how long it'll take for my Graves' disease to go away, thank you!!

2 likes, 50 replies

50 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Lou,

I've just got this diagnosis too having had 5 months of being told I just had a virus and it would go. I have been advised by my GP that with treatment of Propranolol and Carbimazole for 18 months I could find it cures it in that it resets my thyroid back to normal. if not then the radioactive iodine is my next option. I'm combining this with the menopause so a double whammy for me. I hope you feel better soon, I got told that I should start to feel more normal within 2 months but have to have regular blood tests, make sure you get these done to monitor your thyroxine levels. As for your A-Levels, don't panic, most education authorities have a plan for illness related absence, talk to the principal or the school counsellors, not sure what you have in your college. You can do home study for a while until you feel more stable, but don't give up, even if it takes longer than the 2 years normally for 6th form studies.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.