How long before op?

Posted , 7 users are following.

I have a rectocele and when I went to see the nurse, (about 6, 7month back) she said I could leave it, use a pessary (not an option for me) or operate.  She didn't examine me, but I had at the doctors. I decided to just leave it. 

I think it is getting a little worse though. Sex is painful to start, I have light spotting after sex, except for the last time,didn't notice anything until two days later, I have brown dishcharge, not heavy,which is old blood.

Also when I looked, it seems like the bottom of the vagina is pushing out, not the rectocele,though it's getting closer. I can see that, but just at the entrance, where I had epesitomy's and tear.

Also find if I get wind, I cannot control it, I can't hold it in.

I also had a few days where I was staining my underwear,because it didn't empty.I tried using my fingers but couldn't reach, so bought something off the net. I have only used it once,but found it uncomfortable, guess I need practice.

Just wondering at what stage did you have your operations, did the rectocele have to be right out before you could have it?

I probably wouldn't do anything at the moment as  I had a hip replacement in Feb, so would rather wait,just wondering what the options are. Sorry for the long post.

0 likes, 40 replies

40 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hello lynn. On the Genitourinary home page there's lots of useful information under the heading Useful Resource. The symptoms you describe would warrant surgery because it's not always the stage if the prolapse but how it's affecting your day to day life. Are you in the UK?

• Posted

Hi Matron,

Yes, I am, I think I would go for it,if I didn't work, but I have just got back to work after 13 weeks off,in May, so will hold out for now I think.  I had another go with the femeeze, think that's you call it and today it worked and things looked better down there.

• Posted

It's difficult when you have to think about work I know but I'm pleased things are looking better. Take care x

• Posted

Hi Lynn. I went to my GP about a prolapse where I was then referred to a urogynacologists who confirmed I had complete prolapse of bowels, bladder and uterus. After physio which didn't improve anything I was also referred to a colorectal surgeon. My main issue was my bowels as having a bm was becoming a big problem. I always had feeling is not finished if I did manage to go. I was splinting and digitising to empty my bowels but this was affecting back wall of my vagina.

I am 14wks post op for a total hysterectomy,A&P repair and a tvt. My bowels have been much better but the past few weeks I feel that they are slipping back into their old habits and I've had to splint a couple of times. Can't digitise due to the back wall repair. I was told by collateral consultant to contact them once I had been discharged from gyny. That has since happened and all is healing apart from I now have a urethrocele.

I have no idea what lies ahead for me regarding my bowels until I get to see the consultant about them but I worry that if my problems starts to get worse it will cause another prolapse.

In answer to your question I can't remember how long I waited before going to GP but I know I'd had it yrs but it was the pressure I was feeling that made me decide to go and not be able to empty bowels properly. It was a yr past Feb since I first went to GP.

If in doubt get it checked out again. Keep us informed of how you get on. X

• Posted

Hi Fi-45,

I have probs with my waterworks too. I have a kegel 8 and use that, think it may be helping with the bladder part slightly. I was hoping it may push the prolapse back but Idon't think it will.

I had read about splinting but couldn't reach, I had another go with the femeeze and it helped this morning. Maybe tried pushing too hard yesterday with it. It's nearly 2.30pm and I feel ok for a change. Not got the feeling off being bunged up.

Oh, that does not sound good if your having to splint again be awful to have to go through that again. I hope it's not something too bad and you get it sorted quickly.

• Posted

My physio told me about the femmes and I had considered getting one before I'd had op as its gentler on the tissue than using fingers in there. But not sure if it would be recommended after a posterior repair. I'm going to ring bowel nurse next week and hopefully get an appt soon. But can't take any more surgery at no as like you I've already had 14 weeks off work and had an absence before Xmas for 5 wks and if it adds up to 6 mths in any 1 yr I go down to half pay and I can't afford that. So if more surgery awaits me then it'll have to be next yr when my absences is wiped clear again.

Glad you've had a better day today. 1 step at a time. X

• Posted

It has made a huge difference for me, thinking about getting one for work too. I wouldn't know if it's ok to use after an op. feel so much better.

Ours used to be 6 month but it's 3 month now, then you would go on statuary sick pay which is about £88 a week, so we can't afford it. I had 13 weeks off with my hip.

• Posted

Hi Lynn, I am 8 weeks post op for a rectocele, I also have chronic asthma so I cough alot, and hard. I contacted my GP after a few weeks of being badly constipated, One time I was in real discomfort and things did not 'feel right' as I was trying to go, it felt like my faeces was pusing into my vagina, I put a finger in and felt the back wall bulge, never felt it before and I knew it was not right. While I visited 'Dr google" I had a coughing fit and could feel the bulge even more! THAT was when I visited my GP. I had a vaginal hysterectomy in 2004, so that, constipation and chronic cough were my causes of the rectocele. 8 weeks on and things are good, my bowel movements are so much better and not so much wind. BUT I do still feel a bulge in my vagina if I cough too hard ( which I do try not to) My post op consultation is on 26th July, so time will tell.... I would get yourself checked by your GP again.. Good Luck

• Posted

Hope everything keeps going right for you and you keep healing well.

Were you in hospital long?

I suppose I kept telling myself I'm not constipated, but the few times I have been able to reach in it felt like hard and lumpy. I have some stool softeners which I have started using.

• Posted

I was only in overnight, very quick. I used Lactulose liquid afterwards to make things easier, my diet is not good, I do not like vegetables and do not eat as much fruit as I should do, Lactulose is a Godsend! 
  • Posted

Hi Lynn. I had my first rectocele repair at the age of 39. I had a baby boy 10lb 10oz at the age of 26 and my body never fully recovered. I suffered in silence for 10 years as I was too embarrassed to go to the doctor. My symptoms were the same as yours and the worse part for me was having to manipulate the feaces out when I went to the bathroom. My organs were all still inside my body. The corrective surgery changed my quality of life massively so much so that I got cocky 5 years later and started lifting furniture etc and unfortunately I, myself, none else to blame caused further prolapse. I'm 10 weeks post op and again am so glad I had the repair done because the difference in just being able to go to the bathroom normally is incredible and your confidence returns as well as I don't know about you but I felt a loss of femininity with the bowel prolapse. Whether you do or don't get the repair I would consider investing in one of those squatting potties and drink loads of water.

• Posted

Hi Liz, gosh that's a big baby. I had another go with the femeeze this morning and it worked well,this time,must of used too much pressure last time.

I just cannot reach with my fingers when I use the toilet, that's why I bought the thing I got. A squatty potty won't fit in my bathroom and because of my new hip, I'm not sure if I'm supposed to use one as I'm not allowed to squat and they do make your knees go right up. I was looking into them at one time.

I do drink but probably need more as I sweat buckets at work.

• Posted

Not sure what a squatty potty is but I used an old washing up dish upside down to raise my feet when having a bm. I wasn't told to stop using it. I know squats as an exercise a a no no but because you're sitting on toilet you're not putting the strain on pelvic area as you would with squatting. But I'm not certain just my guesse.

• Posted

Yeah best be careful. Regarding how long I waited for my op it was 8 months from first consultation to actual operation so maybe an idea to get the ball rolling just now and see how you feel come the op time because it may well be after Xmas now. I got sent for an ultrasound and urodynamics testing before the surgery which all take time as well.
    • Posted

Maybe it would be ok, will have to ask in August, when i go see my consultant. Just to be sure.
    • Posted

I'm thinking more financial at the moment, I have had my three month sick money, so I will see if I can wait until next year.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.