How long before op?

Posted , 7 users are following.

I have a rectocele and when I went to see the nurse, (about 6, 7month back) she said I could leave it, use a pessary (not an option for me) or operate.  She didn't examine me, but I had at the doctors. I decided to just leave it. 

I think it is getting a little worse though. Sex is painful to start, I have light spotting after sex, except for the last time,didn't notice anything until two days later, I have brown dishcharge, not heavy,which is old blood.

Also when I looked, it seems like the bottom of the vagina is pushing out, not the rectocele,though it's getting closer. I can see that, but just at the entrance, where I had epesitomy's and tear.

Also find if I get wind, I cannot control it, I can't hold it in.

I also had a few days where I was staining my underwear,because it didn't empty.I tried using my fingers but couldn't reach, so bought something off the net. I have only used it once,but found it uncomfortable, guess I need practice.

Just wondering at what stage did you have your operations, did the rectocele have to be right out before you could have it?

I probably wouldn't do anything at the moment as  I had a hip replacement in Feb, so would rather wait,just wondering what the options are. Sorry for the long post.

0 likes, 40 replies

40 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Lynn , mine got steadily worse over about 4 years after a subtotal hysterectomy I would say about a year that I went to GP through to the operation . There were delays due to mixed up appointments failed bladder tests etc ! I had the bladder falling and cervix falling and rectocele so 3 in one ! It got so bad it was like a tennis ball hanging out ! I had operation 6 weeks ago . Nice free feeling just hope it lasts ! If you had a hip replacement I can see why you want to wait . Depends how uncomfortouble it is for you . Suppose you could see about a referral as everything takes so long .!
    • Posted

Hi Jane,

That's quite along time from GP to operation. Did they do everything at once or do you have to go back for the rest?

I know with the hip they said up to 18weeks, only took from Nov to Feb. If I didn't work I think I would go for it. It can be uncomfortable when you cannot get rid of it,but the wind bit is so embarrassing, last week I parped every step at work, luckily I was out the back and no one about, I know if the op is as good as the hip one,then I'll be feeling great.

• Posted

Thank you for sharing your stories.

I'm going to try and see how I get on, I may give it a few more month.  I would like to get rid of my hip appointments first. Judging by the stories, it sounds like an op may be the best option.  If I give it a few more month, I will be able to see if the kegel helps anything too.

Thank you xx

• Posted

My physio gave me a muscle stun machine that I had to insert into my bottom daily and do an hrs exercise. It was horrible. It didn't hurt but it was absolutely exhausting. It was uncomfortable. It got to the point that I couldn't tolerate it daily and I began dreading using it. To be honest I don't think it made any difference. I had it for about 8 wks. Never been so happy to hand a machine back. Never used a kegal 18. Hope it helps for you.

• Posted

Sounds like it could be similar to my kegel, it causes the muscles to tighten and release, using mine for my incontinence, seems to be helping slowly. You can get the probe for anal use too.

An hour seems a long time to use it,no wonder you didn't like it.  So was it meant to pull the rectocele back in place?

• Posted

I think it was meant to get my bowel muscles working as they were a bit relaxed so I'd become very constipated and this was meant to help strengthen them. When it was in place it had a series of sequences that it did. Different strengths of contractions. I had to squeeze with the contraction then relax when it relaxes. It was exhausting to say the least. Imagine doing pelvic floor exercises for an hr. But don't think it made enough of a difference. But I think they have to try these things before opting for surgery.

• Posted

Yes I can understand it being tiring, when you have to do it along with the equipment.  I just let mine get on with it for 30mins.  Well it is best to try other things first, if you can get away without an operation all the more easier.
  • Posted

Went to the docs this morning but not for the rectocele. Lastnight at work I needed to go to the toilet, I tried to splint using my fingers, didn't do well but felt something different.  The doc said it's scarring and might not be cancer but putting down for an urgent scan, so will see what happens.

• Posted

Oh Lynn I really hope you're ok. You'll be worrying sick now. If you don't mind me asking but what was it that you felt that was different.

My bm's are getting more difficult again. I feel like I've took a step back as far as bowels are concerned. It really gets you down doesn't it.

Take it easy and keep us informed. Xx

• Posted

I'm fine thanks Fi-45.  Actually I'm not worried, which for me is unusual, I'm a born worrier.

At work on Thursday evening, I needed to do a BM, bloomin annoying when I used to do one a day.  Anyhow I have my little tool at home,which is brilliant but I don't have one at work, so I thought I would try splinting with my fingers again,it was a bad night loads of wind and uncomfortable.

It just does not work with me but the right hand side of the vagina inside felt really hard, strange. When I got home I laid on the bed to see if I could feel things better.  Just felt like a solid block.

The doc said there was scarring,have some bleeding/discharge after sex.Just wondering if it's fibroids, the last time I had a scan they said I had seedling fibroids.  Anyhow will see when I get my scan.

• Posted

I had a ring pessary fitted a few months after I'd been referred. He said it wasn't a fix. It was simple like scaffolding holding it all in place. It may help you whilst you are recovering with your hip. It did help a bit. Not big bulge hanging out however my big side affect was a stream of discharge like a period. I hated it. But I had them and n place for a yr (changed after 6mths) but I then opted for surgery to n the end. Definitely worth asking to be referred to talk through options. X

• Posted

A pessary is not an option, I was told you can't have sex with one in. I got a surprise by the size of them too, different kinds,much bigger than I expected.

My hip is great,  can take a year to fully heal, but I can do most things now, started walking upstairs last week, so things are getting better.

I did get referred before, three options, pessary, operation or leave it, so went for the leave it for now anyhow.

So did you find it was worth going through the op?

• Posted

I had sex with my pessary in. My hubby couldn't feel it. They measure you so they get the right size.i couldn't feel it inside me at all during sex or at any other time. Don't know why they told you that you can't have sex. I'd ask again.

• Posted

I feel my op has been a success as I don't have that horrible heavy baring down feeling all the time. I get it now and again if I've been on feet a lot that day or if I haven't had a bm for a day or so. But due to me having the tvt I now have no leakage and no longer need to wear a pad every day. It's been yrs since I went without pads and sneezing coughing or laughing was always an issue. But not any more.

• Posted

That sounds like it has worked great for you, and you can go more than one day without a bm,lol can't remember when that last happened.

Do you still need to splint when you have a bm with a pessary in.?

• Posted

I don't have the pessary in any more. I had it in for a yr leading up to my A&P repair but used to splint and digitise with it in. It never got in the way and it didn't help at all with my bowels. It only held womb up which had dropped. But like I said we were intimate throughout with it in too.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.