How long before op?

Posted , 7 users are following.

I have a rectocele and when I went to see the nurse, (about 6, 7month back) she said I could leave it, use a pessary (not an option for me) or operate.  She didn't examine me, but I had at the doctors. I decided to just leave it. 

I think it is getting a little worse though. Sex is painful to start, I have light spotting after sex, except for the last time,didn't notice anything until two days later, I have brown dishcharge, not heavy,which is old blood.

Also when I looked, it seems like the bottom of the vagina is pushing out, not the rectocele,though it's getting closer. I can see that, but just at the entrance, where I had epesitomy's and tear.

Also find if I get wind, I cannot control it, I can't hold it in.

I also had a few days where I was staining my underwear,because it didn't empty.I tried using my fingers but couldn't reach, so bought something off the net. I have only used it once,but found it uncomfortable, guess I need practice.

Just wondering at what stage did you have your operations, did the rectocele have to be right out before you could have it?

I probably wouldn't do anything at the moment as  I had a hip replacement in Feb, so would rather wait,just wondering what the options are. Sorry for the long post.

0 likes, 40 replies

40 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Dear Lynn

Lots of symptoms here, and I wonder why a pessary isn't suitable? It can help to stop a prolapse from getting worse, by 'bracing' your falling organs. There are lots of different ones and sizing is crucial, some can be removed daily and others left in place for several months. A pessary can add support that will help to stop any prolpase from descending further.

I am unable to offer you advice about when to have the operation but the fact you are asking the question sounds as if you should be going back to your healthcare professional for a current assessment of your condition. However as you have had a hip replacement I am sure you are a bit fed up of being 'laid up', hence the desire not to go ahead with prolpase surgery at this point

Sounds like you purchased a device to help with splinting? To get the bowel back into position. You might also find a toilet stool might help you - get your knees up and this allows for easier elimination without straining. (Use anything for a trial - we used to say use phoe books but they are sadly obsolete now!) 

Good luck.

S

• Posted

They just said you can't have sex with a pessary, and that side is important to me.  I know you have to be fitted with one and if I remember right you have to be careful of infections, I'm prone to BV. I'm am such an  unbelievably undecisive person.

I found using the femeeze has made a big difference, have not used it very long, bit of a strange but nice feeling when the rectum pops back into place and empties better.

I quite fancied getting a squatty potty (stool) but it won't fit in my bathroom, I tried using my little bin but can only get one foot on.

Hmm, telephone books are pretty thin these days lol

• Posted

Can you not buy a child training stool to put feet on. I just using a washing up dish upside down.
    • Posted

I have a wash bowl might try it,will be able to keep it in the bath, my bathroom is so small only about 4ft square, I have a tiny bath, can't get a full size one in.

• Posted

Hi All, 

You can use anything as a toilet stool, just get those feet up and off the ground.

Also, there are daily use pessaries. There is a range from Germany called Contam and they are for daily use. You insert and remove as necessary. I know exactly what you mean about your love life - being told a pessary will just sit there and be a bar to intimacy is just not on! Please explore other avenues, the support will help to support the prolapse and stop it worsening.

Pessaries are gaining in popularity and more clinicians are exploring the different ones which is really quite refreshing because every bit of support helps!

S

• Posted

Hmm,maybe a possibility. it says some can be left in for intimacy, wonder if I could still use my kegel with one in. Looked that one up but it seems to be for incontinence and uterine prolapse.

At the moment I need to get my other problem sorted first.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.