How long can it take for the pain to return after stopping Methotrexate?

Posted , 13 users are following.

Last week my consultant stopped the Methotrexate I was taking. I was on 25mg a week every Thursday. I have not taken any for about 11 days now. I am in more pain than usual today and I would like to know if the drug comes out of your system that fast or am I just having a bad pain day? 

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi SharonAnne,  I had to stop taking mine recently and I had missed 2 doses when my problem falred up again.  By the time I had missed 3 doses, I had had enough!  I am back on it, I am only on 10mgs/week
    • Posted

Thank you smile that's helpful to know. I hope you are feeling better. 
  • Posted

I had to stop taking methotrexate in May this year as I had a chest infection and was on antibiotics. I had forgotten what the pain was like without methotrexate but 

soon found out after about 10 days without it. The pain was awful so I started back on the methotrexate about a week before I should have done. I was on 10 mg tablet form. They then put me on weekly injections which meant I missed some of the stomach/vomiting/nausea side affects.. They then put me on 15 mg and I have less pain with the higher dose. They are now organising for me to self inject which will be much better as I have to take time off from work every Friday morning to go to the hospital for the injection. I havE ANCA vasculitus, an auto immune disease that is quite rare where the body attacks the blood vessels.very painful. Sometimes affects my lungs. What were you put on instead of methotrxate? Hope your symptoms have settled. I would be interested to hear an update from you on this forum. Kind regards. Ladyfox51.

• Posted

Ive been taking methotrexate for about 2 years now, injection form 20mgs. Ive had infections regularly and had to come off them. I hurt pretty much within 2 weeks and usually ask for a depo injection which is like a miracle until the methotrexate gets back in your system.
  • Posted

You don't say why you had to come off it...when the rash that I get with methotrexate gets too bad I take a reduced amount but as Mrs Mop has said, two weeks without it and you can usually feel everything start to sieze up! I forgot to pack my pills & had 3 weeks on holiday in the sun...no pain...but first day back in the UK & wham! Crippled. I'm still wondering whether the heat helped because I've had a pain-free summer this year.
    • Posted

Ditto re holiday in the sun. I believe it really does help, I havent been as bad this year
    • Posted

I go away to the sun every year, I can breathe better and find I can walk forever. The only sympton I get is the feeling of sausage like fingers, but am willing to keep trying things if that is all I have to put up with. Best to ya!
    • Posted

Fussybag, spoke to soon, just got back from hot climate, sun didn't seem to work this time. Had to stop due to recurrent infections so not had methotrexate for at least 2 months. Back on it now watch this space although still hurting. Same to you
    • Posted

Summer in the U.K. isn't much different to winter 🙄 However I went to Greece for 2 weeks and felt amazing. Within 24 hours of getting back I'd seized up again! I've just taken my first dose of MTX.

• Posted

I hope that they will get you sorted out asap & the Mtx injections help. I self inject my 20mg Mtx weekly and mostly have few side effects. Mtx has now mostly changed to a pen format ( similar to the kind for diabetes). I used it for the first time on Sunday. A bit fiddly at first but should be easier in future. Im sure you'll find it ok with some guidance. Sorry about your other condition, RA is bad enough. 
  • Posted

Personnely I think we don't realise what pain we have been putting up with. Then we stop the meds it hits us. Sounds like an addiction I guess but I am on mtx and have only been on it a month. Already being told to take half of the dose after being sick. But oh my, The cortesone injections.........long may they reign. I do hope you find your meds niche soon. Best wishes xx
  • Posted

Dear SharonAnneH,

I had to stop taking it a few weeks ago because of a liver problem.  I am now in agony - barely able to dress myself, getting very little sleep and in constant severe pain.I'm going for a blood test tomorow and can't wait to start taking it again!.

• Posted

Fingers crossed they get you sorted. Been there with the liver problem, not nice. Ive been using Votarol gel rub which does give me some respite, try it, it might work for you
  • Posted

Hi everyone,I'm new to this page and was very interested in this discussion I have been on Methotrexate for four years and was recently taken off a month ago due to my liver function tests not being so good! I am in terrible pain and am really concerned that I'll go back to where I was and a quite nervous,any advice greatly appreciated smile 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.