How long can it take for the pain to return after stopping Methotrexate?

Posted , 13 users are following.

Last week my consultant stopped the Methotrexate I was taking. I was on 25mg a week every Thursday. I have not taken any for about 11 days now. I am in more pain than usual today and I would like to know if the drug comes out of your system that fast or am I just having a bad pain day? 

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I found your question interesting. I don't know the answer but when I've had to come off MTX (for the same reason) I have managed a fortnight before my RA pain kicks in and a month before I feel that I'm back to square one. For all its side effects I've found Methotrexate to be a wonder drug - giving me my life back. Good luck with everything.

• Posted

Hi everyone,I'm new to this page and was very interested in this discussion I have been on Methotrexate for four years and was recently taken off a month ago due to my liver function tests not being so good! I am in terrible pain and am really concerned that I'll go back to where I was and a quite nervous,any advice greatly appreciated smile I can relate to what you are saying SharonAnnH

• Posted

i am leslie and new to this and i use to take 8 tabs a week i stopped taking a couple weeks ago and i am in agony but will not back on them because i thought they was not working and yes they do come out of your body quiet quickly
  • Posted

I am not certain when this was originally posted Leslie but I had to stop taking the MTX altogether because of the pains it was causing in my joints. It also caused a totally addled brain!

I forget when I actually stopped it but I have been taking Mycophenolate Mofetil since about April of 2015.  It is a much pleasanter drug to take but of course, it too has its own side effects.  I have had to drop the dose because of side effects but am still taking it at the moment.

I have an auto immune skin disease called Mucous Membrane Pemphigoid.

• Posted

abòut five minites never good at spelling have ra for about 20years then they started me on metatrexate i thought it was not doing anything after 4 months so came of now in agony but not going back on it

• Posted

It does take at least 12 weeks to start to have any effect so maybe it was doing something.

Why did you stop taking it?  You can write MTX, it is short for Methotrexate!!

Did you take the Folic acid too?  You have to take it on a different day from the MTX.

• Posted

the pain will get worse and you will get more pain than before i no because i stopped taking it and if i can i will go back on it to stop the pain also how many tablets r you week is that 2.5 mg a week

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.