How long do you have to sleep with a pillow between your legs

Posted , 12 users are following.

How long do you have to sleep with a pillow between your legs after a hip replacement surgery and also when can you start bending and trying low seats . Any advice appreciated.

2 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi, Mary, it all depends on how you heal. 13 months out, I still use a pillow between my knees, just because it is more comfortable for me as a side sleeper. I have a small one, specifically shaped to fit the knees, that is a lot easier to deal with than a big bed pillow.

As to the bending and low seats, your physical therapist can advise you, or your doctor. They will be able to suggest a time frame as to when it is safe. Having passed that mark, again, it depends on how you feel. If comfortable, then okay. If not, wait a while. I could bend and lift my knee sooner than I could sit on a chair that put my hips at an extreme angle. Even today it is hard for me to get up from lower seats. (I am not the norm, had a lot of issues post-op.) It is always wise to listen to your body!

• Posted

Thank you KarmaMama, I should have added whilst sleeping on your back to my question, not sure if I should even be using a pillow at this stage or is it just when you sleep on your side ? 
    • Posted

I never slept with a pillow between my legs, even in hospital. I had posterior approach. I do sleep on my back though.
  • Posted

From what I understand if your surgery is the posterior (from the rear) approach you will have to sleep with a pillow between your knees for several weeks to months.  Posterior is easier on the surgeon but it is no longer being done in many areas.  It is more invasive, takes longer to heal and in addition to sleeping with a pillow between your knees there are many other restrictions.  If, however, your surgery is from the front, actually from the side, you don't have to sleep with a pillow from day one.  There are no restrictions except for the common sense ones after a surgery, it is less invasive and recovery is much quicker.  

• Posted

Thank you Papio and yes the surgery was posterior I would have however preferred anterior but few surgeons use that approach in the UK .
  • Posted

The pillow is needed to help set the position correctly while sleeping until the bone grows and secures the implant components. In my case I slept with the a shaped foam  pillow for 9 weeks. Ask your doctor?

its a pain but using neck pillow ans elevate leg with small pillows helped. It's very difficult to manage and I just told myself it's just for a little bit of time in the scheme of things.

it goes by quickly. One day bummer then on to better days soon. healing time  is what gives us mobility for tomorrow! 

• Posted

I have two new "Anterior" replacements in the front of my leg, not "posterior" incisions.  If you have front incisions you should be able to bend over and do anything you want when you walk out of day surgery.  Ask your Doctor about this.  If your incisions are on top of your femur in the front that's one of the biggest benefits.  You just get up and walk out to the car after the spinal block has worn off.  I do hear it's very dangerous to bend down if you have a posterior cut in your rump around the back of your hip so ask your surgeon.  Please do not bend over until he tells you to do so.  The spike in your femur may very well pop out and then you're dealing with bailing wire and major surgery on that leg bone.

I went on Amazon and bought every gadget available including three very nice gripper pick up devices so that if I do drop a key or a pen I just use those out of laziness or convenience.  Also, there's a cool device that you put your socks in, slip your foot in and pull up on two ropes and whammo, your socks are on your legs!  I love that thing.  And, there are 3 foot long shoe horns that you can use if you're unable to get your ankle in your shoe so that you don't bend over.

I sleep with a pillow between my legs anyway but what I learned is that it evens out your hip and levels them both evenly rather than letting one fall into an unnatural position if you're a side sleeper.  Please just make sure that the pillow is not too big and doesn't elevate your leg level too high. I hope you'll ask your surgeon about Anterior vs. Posterior incisions.  There's a world of difference and an Anterior recovery is 30 days with very few restrictions other than pivoting on one foot to turn around and look at someone or reach for something while keeping the other leg straight.  That is the only "no-no" I have had to follow with the Anterior cut.

Best to You for a Speedy Recovery Mary.  It is a depression place to be psychologically and I understand.  It takes a lot to remember.....one minute, one hour, one day at a time and it'll be okay before the dogwoods bloom in April.

Judy

• Posted

Did you have anterior or posterior THR? Anterior has less restrictions.

I had anterior. I've kept the small pillow between my legs to remind me not to turn to my side.

• Posted

Well I’m 17 days now and for the first time turned onto my good side.  I of course used a pillow between my legs in it felt fairly comfortable for about an hour and a half.  I put another pillow behind my back for support as well.  It felt good but rotated back to my back about three times last night.
    • Posted

I’m not sure how long I have to have a pillow but I got on my side last night and it did take the pressure off my hip.  I’m guessing I’ll do it for the next 3or 4 weeks if I’m going to get on my good side.  I’m getting better at listening to my body in respect to pressure and pain

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.