how long do you have to wait to get a rectocele dealt with

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have a rectocele and intussception with anterior trapping and was wondering once diagnosed how long do you have to wait to get treatment i feel like i have just been left on my own and noone wants to help me has anyone else been left to deal with a rectocele 3cm i was told it was and the intussception too

0 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Christine, I know you are really worried about this but 3cm isn't classed as a large rectocele. The health system is sadly under a lot of pressure & many people are having to wait. Try & concentrate on getting in the best general health so you can recover as quickly as possible when you have your op. Best wishes.

• Posted

imnotadoctor  they have refused me surgery so now i cannot hae the op i am so disappointed that i am just being left think i might write a letter to them asking them to explain why they have refused i even had to have a second proctogram as well all for nothing it seems
    • Posted

If you're having another proctogram then you can't know they won't repair your prolapse until the urogynaecologist has the results of that. I presumed when you said they wouldn't operate you had the results of the 2nd one. You also said this is a new consultant so wait and see what he/she says when they have the results. No decision can be made until all the tests and examinations are completed.

• Posted

Sorry Christine I'm away at the moment & don't have much of a signal. Your consultant should send you and your GP a letter explaining their diagnosis. Did you ask at the time why they are refusing? If surgery is not necessary then you shouldn't have it. Find out what is causing the constipation it might be completely unrelated to the prolapse. Ask your GP to refer you to someone who can help you with this as the worry is obviously causing you distress. Taking lots of laxatives isn't a good idea, personally I don't get on with stool softeners at all. Have you looked at the Bladder & Bowel Foundation website? Try and relax (easy to say I know) find something to try & take your mind off things. We all have different ways of coping with the bad days. Hope you feel better soon. X

• Posted

Hi Christine,

When I first went to gp she dismissed a prolapse. I knew my body and wasn't having NY of it. I did pay to see a consultant and he diagnosed it. Please don't accept this if you know andcate struggling. Go back to gp and push to see a urogynacologist. Itsvyour body and your right..my anterior repair failed andbi asm now on waiting list for another one wityh a different urogynacologist thank god. The last one failed to pick it up and fobbed me off. Stand yuou ground love.good luck. x

• Posted

How much did you have to pay to see a consultant privately as I dont know if i can afford it and how do you find one where do you go to find one i wouldnt know how to do it
    • Posted

Go to your GP and tell him you want a private appointment with a urogynaecologist, it's as simple as that. Imnotadoctor has said exactly what I said about a week ago, your prolapse is only 3cms and not considered large, in fact most urogynaecologists wouldn't operate on the NHS when it's only at this stage. You said you are having tests and I know on another forum you said you were having an endoscopy so you are in the system so to speak. Just to add in London a private appointment will be anything from £150 up to £500. 

• Posted

Yes matron your right.. In Essex a private appointment was £220.x

• Posted

I've been waiting several months now. It can take a long time depending on where you live, I believe London area can be longest! We have to wait as patiently as possible due the NHS funding crisis which has been it the news such a lot lately! Hospitals have to ration elective surgery which prolapse are.  3 cms is not too bad, don't know about the intussection. It depends how it is affecting you with your bowel movements I suspect. My surgeon said these conditions are not life threatening and rarely urgent. Try to eat healthily and reduce weight if you need to as it helps reduce pressure on the pelvis. Aim for a regular bm and take laxatives and stool softeners as required. Your GP can prescribe these if you ask. You can find lots more info if you go to the top of this page and click on Genito Urinary Prolapse. It will take you to a page with help and info. Best wishes and try not to worry, we're all in the same boat here! rolleyes

• Posted

You are right when you say a prolapse isn't life threatening and 3cms is only a minor prolapse that wouldn't normally be repaired. Unfortunately the Department of Health don't see urogynaecology/gynaecology as a priority but christine is already "in the system" because she's having tests so theoretically things are moving on and she's referred to a urogynaecologist. A lot if ladies are still waiting.

• Posted

I agree Matron. Christine is obviously very worried as we all are/were before surgery. I'm older and I hope wiser but still concerened about my op, it is a bit frightening when our bodies go wonky especially when we're younger. Part and parcel of being a female unfortunately. Men have no idea! twisted

• Posted

I already take stool softeners and hundreds of laxatives but still having difficulty having a bm i have lost 2 stone in weight since this whole thing started as i cant eat properly and worried what to eat as nothing is coming out, so i hope i can get a good consultant who will help me, i have a proctogram this week second one as i have been referred to another hospital for a second opinion hope this one will help me as th other one did not and showed lack of care at every level, now i am with the pelvic floor unit colerateral dept so hope they will help me this time round been putting upt with it for almost a year now with no help
    • Posted

Any weight loss such as yours should really be investigated because there is a strong possibility it isn't because of your prolapse. You say you take "hundreds" of laxatives, I know that's an exaggeration but as I explained before sometimes taking large amounts only makes things worse. It makes your bowel sluggish and if you take more than one type the chances are they are counteracting each other because different laxatives do different things. This is probably why you are constipated. If you stopped taking your laxatives or reduced them it isn't going to make things worse and it probably could improve your bowel function. There's absolutely no reason why a 3cm prolapse should cause you to lose so much worse. You need a blood test to rule out overactive thyroid as well as other problems. 

• Posted

Hi pollyanna i have been refused surgery so at a loss what to do i will have to live with the rectocele and the constipation and laxatives as there is no one to help me now
    • Posted

i am so disappointed that i have been refused surgery so will have to continue with laxatives now for the rest of my life it seems

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.