How long does Citalopram take to work?

Posted , 148 users are following.

I've been prescribed Citalopram 20mg and have been taking it for 3 days now. I don't quite know how this works, but it's making me very anxious, gives me a dry mouth and fatigue. Is It to soon to see any changes? Should a give it a week or two?

16 likes, 165 replies

165 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Ok. Maybe it's just early stages. The depression, I think, is just getting worse, so I was hoping the medication would have kicked in by now. I'm willing to wait a while to see if there's any result after two weeks or so.
  • Posted

If you want support come to "anyone not had side effects on Citalopram" thread. Seems to be where everyone has landed so don't let the name throw you. Lots of people at different stages and lots of advice and support.

:-D

• Posted

Hi Diana

Read your blog l am just about to start taking citalopram but as well my doctor has prescribed diazapan as well to calm the affect down did this work for you as well

Paul

• Posted

Hi,

I went to the doctors today and she has prescribed me also 20mg of Citalopram....I have recently been suffering severe bouts of anxiety, this week I was panicking so much I had to phone in work sick, this has come about after my mother dying last year to whom I was very close and then had to move out of the .family home, I started getting anxious at work and then when I were out shopping etc, this has snowballed and got worse, the only thing that would calm me down were a few beers in the evening but thats not a good lifestyle, and the effect only lasts for the night!

I am very frightened of taking these tablets in case they make me feel worse....being anxious about the

side effects can make it worse! But reading the comments on here I am going to take them and try to persevere. I just hope so much that they make me the confident, popular, happy woman I was :-((

• Posted

Hello Angipoos

I am just starting Citalopram and I saw that you were one of the only people on here that is taking it for anxiety.  I am only on day 2.  Was wondering if you ever had relief from this medicine.

• Posted

I’m just starting on it too, for anxiety as well. How are you going? Did it take long to work? 
  • Posted

Hi Disco,

Please persevere you need to give it 6 weeks but you will be so happy you did, everyone suffered the same as you at the beginning however you were feeling this bad before Cit as well, so really it is your body adjusting to the Cit, as Diane says please join the forum anyone not had side effects on Citalopram as so many folk on there at different stages and all similar stories and side effects so join us over there, and read thru the posts to get a better picture.

For the dry mouth you should chew gum or mints to keep it moist, the fatigue will go too, it took me about 6 weeks but then it was the best feeling ever, the light just came back. deep breathing also helps when you are feeling anxious.

Lynnete keep up the good work and join us on the other forum also as lots more folk over there offering support and sharing their stories and tips, its good to know ur NOT alone.

Take care, smile

Anne

• Posted

I am just starting to take citilpram and with all the negitive things i here about medication,it makes me worried to take it. I have PTSD and suffer from major anxiety and depression.Ihave been looking forsomething to help and finally took it apon myself to start taking a medication. Im just hoping i donthave to worry about all those side effects every one seems to have.I dont need all that when i am trying to fix the anxiety and depression.Need something good to here.
    • Posted

Hi, I have been taking citilpram for 8 weeks now! And I have to say it was the best thing I ever did...I also was worried as I had done research on the side effects,for the first couple of weeks I did feel awful but I am so glad that I stuck to it...my advice to you is do just that stick to it,it is worth it... Good luck xx
    • Posted

So this took 8 weeks to kick in ? Ive been on celexa for 5 days now its helped alittle i have anexity bad .. now just got vertigo too its bad .. i am glad your doing better though i will stay on this med to see how it does smile
    • Posted

How long did it take you to feel good? I was increased to 30mg 6 weeks ago and still so anxious. I had a few good days but back to bad. sad

• Posted

hi angipoos.

I felt exactly the same. Was a bit sceptical at first, but after reading these threads, am going to give it another go. I've only been on it for 3 days now and I've experienced a fewf negative side effects, but I think I'll give it a go a bit longer (the side effect isn't anything you can't handle).. I did some research on how Citalopram works, and apparently it restores the serotonin to normal levels in the brain. This will take some time.

Give it a go and keep us updated

D

• Posted

Angi,

The pills can help. But they cannot totally fix emotions about a major loss. I suggest you find someone to talk to about the loss of your Mother. Between expressing your emotions and the positive impacts of the pills, I am sure you will come out of this OK. The future can bring good things, so be as positive as you can.

I am sorry about your Mom...

• Posted

Thank You Disco...I will, Im so glad I came across this forum, its good to know that your not the only one going through it!

I will keep you updated.

Angi

• Posted

HI Ron,

Thank you for replying....I also asked the doctor to refer me to councelling so I am also going to give that a go and see if it helps....I would try anything!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.