How long does Citalopram take to work?

Posted , 148 users are following.

I've been prescribed Citalopram 20mg and have been taking it for 3 days now. I don't quite know how this works, but it's making me very anxious, gives me a dry mouth and fatigue. Is It to soon to see any changes? Should a give it a week or two?

16 likes, 165 replies

165 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I actually agree with Ron

.I think you need counselling too Angi.

Bereavement is pretty intense. I'm not exactly going through that but I combine both medication with counselling. I think that's the quickest and most effective way of snapping out of this horrible burden.

D

• Posted

come to this group ' Anyone NOT had any side effects on Citalopram?'
    • Posted

Hi disco,

not to jinx it but I've been on Citalopram for 3days now and have had no side effects which is strange because I've read the comments on this forum and next to no one has said that they've had no side effects???

• Posted

Hi there, I've also been taking citalopram 20mg for 4 days and boy am I feeling it! So happy for you.... I've had to take diazepam 5mgs three times a day to be calm and that helps.... I'm so sad that this has happened to me as I'm usually a tough cookie.., so feel like I'm falling apart.... But everyone I know, or has taken this say this will be worth it... It will get better... I hope so...
  • Posted

Docs., say a month, Disco, to kick in.
  • Posted

Angipoos, I. too. was very closed to my mother and we lived together so it was a huge loss when she died. That, coupled with and horrendous trauma, days after sent me on a downward spiral for years. Counselling never helped me, as it just brought back old memories.

I, too, took a drink to dull everything out but that was always followed by guilt, the next day so definitely not the answer. In my experience the only thing that helps is time and people to talk to who know you and will listen.

I hope you feel better soon. I understand how you feel. All I needed was cuddles but had no-one there. sad

• Posted

Big cuddles and hugs Ms Mac, its never too late, hope ur well xx

Anne

• Posted

Citalopram does cause tiredness and a dry mouth. Have you read the leaflet that came with them? All SSRI's take about 6-8 weeks to work fully.
    • Posted

I am looking for people who also suffer from headaches. I am on Cit 30 for a while and when I am calm they go away, but on a daily basis not. Could be fatigue related. NJH
  • Posted

I've been feeling down, picking up the pieces and being strong for everyone else for a very long time now. Unfortunately I've taken as much as I can take now and almost had a total melt down so today I went to the doctors. He prescribed me Citalopram, 20mg. I have no idea what to expect so any advice would be appreciated.
  • Posted

Hi,

You'll find lots of support on the thread called "anybody not had side effects on Citalopram". Don't let the name throw you, it just seems to be where everyone on cit has landed. As a a drug it can be a bit of a mixed bag. Some people are fine and others initially have a bit of a rough time but please don't let it put you off. You will see that there but there is lot of peer support.

:-D

• Posted

Hi Diane, thank you for your message, it is encouraging though somewhat sad that there is so much support. I look forward to meeting and getting to know people in my situation.

:-)

• Posted

Hey whiskas11.

Iv bin on citalopram for 5 weeks now and it has helped me alot. You have good day and bad days but you do learn each dau how to handle ur bad days.

Unfortunately im experiencing side effects such as hwad aches back ache also breast pain. I keep thinking thered somethin seriously wrong with me and keep thinkin Iim going to die

My doctor is great with me as I can ring him up any time ane if he is busy he will ring me bacl afterwsrds and reasure me. Iv had blood test and urine sample done repeatedly cous im that scared but It does gwt better day by day .

• Posted

Hi Everyone,

I am very new to this. I been suffering from anxiety since the start of December. Had a lot issues billed up at once and think the stress of work just toped me off. I tried to over come it the hard way with no help which i had alot of ups and downs and really punished myself but couldn't do it anymore so my doctor prescribed my CIT 10mg. First two week was horrible i got every side effect going but last week i was so relaxed and able to think clear it was great. I have had abit of a knock back this week which i dont know why. Feel like im losing my mind a little it weird. just wondering if other people have good days and bad days with CIT and is it a result of side effects. Any comments would be really helpful

• Posted

Hi paul, I've started a course of Cit 10mg 2 weeks ago and been up and down like a yo-yo. 2 out of 3 days are great, then 1 day is massive anxiety, bigger than before I took CIT. I am sure it's my bod just getting used to it. has it worked for you and if so how long did it take please?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.