How long does flu normnally last

Posted , 10 users are following.

I believe I have the influenza B strain. Had it about ten days now.

Although the cold-type symptoms are nearly gone, the worst part is how utterly fatigued I am. It feels like one step forward, one step back...I barely have the strength to walk about and when I do feel a bit better I I wipe myself out again.

Is this normal? Never had flu before AFAIK.

0 likes, 27 replies

27 Replies

Next
  • Posted

That is totally normal with the flu. One step forward two steps back. How do you know it's strain B? Much is strain A h2n3. Have u been tested? Did you go on any antivirals? The flu is killing people. It's a rough one. Treat the symptoms and don't overdo it. Stay away from work until you are 95 percent better. That's a problem that people think they are better and go to work infect others. The schools same thing. Kids and adults need to stay home until back to normal.

• Posted

Sorry my bad it's H3N2. I'm not a Dr I just do much research on flus and germs

• Posted

I know exactly how you feel chalkey. Been like it for over 2 weeks now and it’s starting to really worry me. If I do anything I get drenched in sweat and out of breath. Was checked on Monday and told that my lungs sound fine so basically just have to ride it out. I hope you feel better soon.
  • Posted

Thanks for the replies. I am not sure it is Influenza B - just my guess from my limited research. It could be Type A, although I understand  Type A involves stomach issues and I have had none.

The worst part for me is that I suffer from a sleep disorder and any stress makes it worse...and the flu makes me feel so strained. It is not so rare for me to have "sleep" that is totally restless and full of nightmares...and wake up more tired than when I went to bed. I have sleep apnoea and a blocked nose interferes with CPAP therapy but luckily that passed after a couple of days.

I actually woke this morning so out of breath and with palpitations and such a weak pulse that I called 999 (911) but after talking to the operator he judged I did not need emergency treatment as the symptoms abated.. 

ulse   This is not so uncommon for people with sleep apnoea. I  am seeing the doctor on Friday. On top of this. I have had a very stressful two years, had a nervous breakdown in 2016 caused by benzodiazepine withdrawal. As if all this was not enough, I have bee mercilessly cyberbullied by an ex-partner and her pals whom I actually believe want to kill me.

So I am more vulnerable than most. However, I have had through checks of my cardiovascular system recently including Echocardiogram, EKG and blood tests and BP is normal also.

The worst part of this flu is the mental strain it causes. I am waking in the night unable to switch off my brain and sometimes I fall back to sleep still not "switched off", leading to nights like last night.

The only way to deal with this, I am finding, is to rest as much as possible during the day and thus feel calmer and preserve energy, and feeling calmer is a good way to promote restful sleep with no episodes such as that described above.

I am fearful. I just want to feel stronger and I am getting depressed and lonely and going downhill psychologically.  The only person willing to help is my mother and I have now given her the virus so she is grounded too. This is a total nightmare. I am scared but worrying just makes it all worse.

• Posted

Chalkey79 hang in there. Like I tell my kids. This shall pass. The virus out there currently are really bad. Lasting as many as 14 days. I am on day ten of feeling like crap. Just treat the sypmtoms. You are physically strong and you can make urself mentally strong. It's up to you. Can you take a sleep aid at night to sleep during ur sickness? Your body needs rest to fight the virus. When I am sick I take NyQuil to help my body sleep and it dries up the mucas. Sleep with two pillows under ur head. Hang in there and be strong. You made it through a nervous breakdown then you can make it through this virus. Hang in there buddy. This shall pass.

• Posted

Thanks Lisagal for your words of encouragement. It sounds like we got sick at around the same time - I first felt slightly "not right" over two weeks ago but it only really kicked in last Saturday, so this is Day 12. The symptoms are pretty much gone except for the fatigue.

The main problem is getting enough rest and sleep to put more energy in the account than I am using on a daily basis. I can see there is no way around it but early nights and resting as much as I can until I am significantly stronger.better. Wishing you healing also.

• Posted

How are you doing chalkey? Hopefully you you have gained you our strentgth...I’m on day 7 of this nightmare so I know your pain
  • Posted

I feel the same. Why am not Better yet.My daughter was first confirmed influenza B. Then I was shorty after. I suffer from major panic and anxiety. I felt really good finally now not so great. 12 days in.....ughhh I'm afraid to take any meds. O have bradycardia slow heart rate. I took benadryl the other night to help sleep and breath. ThenI noticed AFIB ...Never hat that before...I'm freaking out

• Posted

I think maybe ur anxiety is making your heart that way. Take something calming. Ask ur Dr for a medication that will relax you. Also remember these current strains are lasting as long as two weeks or more. Stay positive it will soon be over. Good luck
    • Posted

Are you on any anxiety medication? I am for mine...but lately the last 3-4 days it feels like I am freaking out and having the aches in my legs and arms and head and just been feeling super anxious as I’ve had mine for 8+ days now and went back to immediacare today and they said I have oncoming pneumonia along with the flu still wrecking havoc I’m not taking any chances and going to take what they prescribed me this time
    • Posted

I do take xanex for anxiety because it's such a horrible feeling anxiety. You need to drink fluids to flush out the mucas so it doesn't settle in ur lungs. In few days go back for chest x-ray and see if it's clear. They should have given you breathing treatments or steroids. Rest and go nowhere. If you get a germ on top of ur current germ it could be very bad for you. Rest fluids relax anxiety meds can be taken with any other medications. Keep me posted. This shall pass and you will see better days. Hang in there.

• Posted

The aches are from the virus. It's number one bad thing is the body aches. Take anxiety meds and whatever they gave you to take and rest drink lots of clear fluid. If you can get elderberry juice and take a teaspoon a day in ur water. It's a known fact elderberry fights virus.

• Posted

When i went Monday to the doctors they prescribed me Tamiflu and also symbicort and I was to scared to take either one of them due to the side effects it would cause....so i choose not to take them...(I know it wasn’t to smart) but now they gave me Azithromycin (2 taken yesterday and then one a day for 4 days) as they said i I pneumonia....last night wasn’t the greatest for sleeping but it’s my guess is because it’s fighting it off...just have to stay strong
    • Posted

Yeah I’m on Effexor 75mg for Anxiety and i have been taken it for years and it has worked wonders for me and I have never had a problem....untill the last week...now I’m sick and it feels like the anxiety medication is not doing it’s job
    • Posted

Some people don't take the tamiflu. The only thing it MAY do is shorten the days of not feeling good. It is no means a cure of the flu. It's actually the strongest type of antiviral out there with lots of side effects. Just drink lots of fluids and rest. Try to watch a series on Netflix or tv to keep ur mind off of ur sickness. More you think about it more your anxiety kicks in. If you get into a good series on TV you will focus on that. Take the meds for the pneumonia. Also not sure where you live but where I live it's freezing. The cold air breathing in ur lungs is good. Get some fresh air but stay away from people. Remember other germs are out there and if you get another one not good. Good luck.

• Posted

I’ve i western New York where it’s the cold winter and where temps average around freezing and snow....so going out is only for short times as it gets a little to cold out there...Man I wish I could just take off of work rest ubtill I was better...unfortunately my job is hard to take long period of time off
    • Posted

I'm in new jersey so I hear you about the cold weather. The reason we get sick now is because we are all stuck inside sharing our germs because it's to cold to be outside. Hang in there my friend.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.