How long does flu normnally last

Posted , 10 users are following.

I believe I have the influenza B strain. Had it about ten days now.

Although the cold-type symptoms are nearly gone, the worst part is how utterly fatigued I am. It feels like one step forward, one step back...I barely have the strength to walk about and when I do feel a bit better I I wipe myself out again.

Is this normal? Never had flu before AFAIK.

0 likes, 27 replies

27 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi, I'm joining in this discussion from the state of Maryland in the US.  Monday (February 12) will be three weeks since I was given a confirmed diagnosis of the flu, Strain A.   I'm a senior citizen who has been in excellent health until the flu struck.  I had the flu shot/jab in early September, which may have been a bit early from what I've read.    But, the effectiveness of the shot/jab is not great.  My doctor gave me Tamiflu and a cough medicine with codeine (Cheritussin), which I have almost finished.  Although I'm going out and doing things, I still don't feel well and have lost weight (not a totally bad thing smile.  My cough persists and mucus seems to be continually draining into my throat, which makes me somewhat nauseous.  I'm using Flonase nasel spray as per my doctor to keep my nasal passages clear.  Has anyone reading this experienced symptoms as I have for three weeks?  I feel like I will never get over them.  Thanks!

• Posted

Mambird43 I have been sick since Martin Luther King day. Still not 100 percent. My kids also since then. This strain a is so bad it is lingering forever. Just make sure you get the mucas up and swallow it or spit it out or blow it out. You don't want the mucas to form in ur lungs that's when things get bad. Drink lots of fluids to try and flush it out of you. Hang in there and follow up with ur Dr.

• Posted

Thanks, Lisagal.  I'm so sorry you and your kids are still ill after all this time, which speaks to how virulent this flu is.  As you recommend, I'm working hard to prevent the mucus from affecting my lungs.  Tomorrow I'm going to call my internist to set up a follow-up appointment.  Just want to make sure my lungs are OK.  

• Posted

My Type A (H3N2) flu is now over after three weeks.  However, in Week 4, I continue to feel malaise, have a persistent cough and have mild difficulty breathing.  My doctor sent me for a chest x-ray today.  Alas, the flu  has now morphed into early/walking pneumonia in my left lung.  So, my doctor put me on a course of antibiotics and gave me an inhaler to use twice a day.  I've always be healthy, but I am 74 years old.  This flu is widespread and particularly virulent this year, especially for the very young, people with compromised immune systems, and people  (like me) of a "certain age."  Please, please treat this flu very seriously!  

• Posted

Mamabird43, I do hope you are feeling better. My doctor said the complications with the “A’ strain flu are very common, especially pneumonia, did you kick it? I hope so.

I too have have the “A” strain flu.. since around February 18.  Was wondering how long the symptoms lasted for everyone who has or has had the “A” strain? I have never been this sick in my life. Sheesh!

• Posted

PS. doctor confirmed “A” strain on February 23. 

• Posted

It takes a good three weeks to get 90 percent better. Fatigue lasts a while. Just keep positive and drink lots of fluids and stay away from sick people. Always sanitize ur hands and don't touch ur face. Good luck

• Posted

Hi,just writing on this post as I have read them all and see that some people ended up with pneumonia,is that common? If so ,how did you know you had it and how is everyone now? thank you I am just getting over it and I am 13 days in,I took no medicine except over the counter tylenol 
  • Posted

According to a recent health survey the Flu normally last up to one to two weeks with severe symptoms subsiding two or three days. However you may feel weakness, fatigue, dry cough, and also have low stamina to do exercise up to three to seven days. So you should consult to your physician.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.