How long does it take after cast comes off to be able to walk?

Posted , 8 users are following.

I had my cast off last wed 31/8/16 after 4.5 weeks following my operation. I had broken my ankle following my horse slipping on road whilst in walk and falling on my leg. My consultant wants me to weight bear on it and the physic gave me a sheet of exercises to do at the hospital. However following the cast coming off my ankle is very sore and when I place my foot on the floor it swells. I am struggling to do any exercises. What should I do? Im so frustrated Im a single mother with 2young children and finding this very difficult.

1 like, 20 replies

20 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

So sorry to hear about the accident. Been thru a few on horses myself. 

The bones in the ankle will take time to grow & stabilize the components. Don't hurry it, take it slow. 

Therapy will help with strengthening the muscles and tendons and rom once your ready. 

I found that walking in sand helped return the strength and rom once weight bearing was possible.

Peace & Heeling thoughts sent your way.

• Posted

Hey that sounds good about the sand

I just planned a trip to the beach in two weeks so I could walk in the sand.

• Posted

Right on.  Also that how race horses are worked out after leg tendon cannon bones issues. 

Have a great time.

• Posted

Hi thanks for the advice thats a really good idea will definitely give it a try. Do you still horseride? Ive had to turn my horse out to grass until I recover my sister is looking after him but she doesn't ride. Going by the pain Im experiencing Im wondering if my ankle will ever be strong enough to ride again. How long did it take for you to get back to it?

• Posted

That's funny that there are a lot of horseback riders here. I have one too. She is an upidy half TB. Everyone always assumed that is how I broke my ankle but it isnt. I actually have gotten on her twice in the past two days. There is a 30x30 area next to the barn that is enclosed so she is calm, slow and bored there. I practice stretching my heel down and also some non stirrup work, sitting trot to help strenghten my legs. It feels like it is going to be awhile to really ride her though.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.