How long does it take for 30 mg of Mirtazapine to take effect

Posted , 70 users are following.

I have just had my medication increased from 15 mg to 30 mg. When I started taking the 15 mg it literally started working the next day. I am now into my sixth day of 30 mg and I am feeling worse. I would appreciate it if someone could give me their experience with this medication.

1 like, 115 replies

115 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I know exactly what you mean, its a bit like groundhog day, i am struggling in the same way but it is better than it was, when I was like this a few years ago i practised mindfulness and it really helped,I hope when I feel a bit better that I will be able to use this technique again. Its crazy isnt it that you can feel 'normal' and enjoy something at night only to feel crappy again in the morning ,unfortunately it makes it hard for those around you to understand
  • Posted

That is more common than you think guys. The feeling of impending doom of a morning is how are neurotransmisson works when we are effectively shut off.

I have always envied friends and family who bounce out of bed joyous at a new day and I am like a wreck, then at night I can be a completely different person. The key is to get the balance so it is not such a big leap between that morning feeling and the happiness you know you can feel.

Stu.

• Edited

Patricia when they upped mine I did feel a bit worse but now going into week three Im feeling good hang in there am the same great at nite but worse in morning but that is now lifting and I'm getting a longer better day x .kp going remember ur not alone kp me posted x
  • Posted

Patricia when they upped mine I did feel a bit worse but now going into week three Im feeling good hang in there am the same great at nite but worse in morning but that is now lifting and I'm getting a longer better day x .kp going remember ur not alone kp me posted x
  • Posted

Hi Patricia

Yes, I agree with that - felt much worse when I first upped to 30mgs, especially first thing in the morning - but that feeling does wear off eventually and now I just feel mildly irritable but energy charged in the mornings. I find if I get up quick and move about a lot it goes off after about half an hour.

When I first started on 30mgs that feeling lasted for several hours and was horrible. Looking back at my diary it was 7 weeks before I started to feel better, including 3 weeks on 15mgs. My doc said that was unusually long for it to take so you may be luckier!

Hang in there, its just a sign that the drug is doing its stuff and working.

Hope you feel better soon

• Posted

100% agree Jane... my mornings were totally crap for hours... now in third week of 30mg and only rubbish for about two hours so Patricia u hang in there.... it has taken a wee bit longer to take effect when they increased my dose but I firmly believe the longer it takes to work the longer u will stay recovered for... its the most horrendous and debilitating illness in the world but with the correct meds it helps u lift ur mood to get u back out doing the things u used to do... ps and remember Patricia do one thing a day u enjoy everyday and u will gradually get better.... take care Patricia and Jane... chin up ......
  • Posted

Many thanks Jane and Jacqueline for your messages. You really have helped as I keep thinking I surely

should feel better by now Yesterday and today I felt really bad when I got up then later in the morning I started to feel good However I felt bad again in the afternoon and yesterday the evening as well. Same to day but I am suddenly feeling good hence writing this message. Did either of you experience that on the way

to getting better?

Many thanks.

Pat x

• Posted

Absolutely Patricia... even though my days are getting better there are times throughout the day I feel better than others but much better than it has been.. once the med settles in ur system ur body and brain will adjust it just takes time x
  • Posted

Thanks for you message Jacqueline. I am certainly up and down at the moment.
  • Posted

Hello to everybody!

It's been good for me reading all your experiences, a big thanks from me!

For myself I had a serious cervical neck operation last Dec 5th, I woke instantly to a deep depression! I was under extreme work and medical pressure prior to my op which contributed to this, which my surgeon in Singapore should have picked up on, but like most medical services in Singapore they only want a quick turnaround for the money! By the way I'm English but work in Singapore, I used to live in Fareham near Portsmouth. I tried several antidepressants prior to Remeron. I'm just completing my third week. I started 15mg for 4 days then since been on 30mg. I sleep and eat well but my depression remains bad, even with suicide thoughts as others mentioned. After reading your experiences I feel much better giving Remeron more time. I'

Have been off work since my op and really need the med to work soon so I can get back. Take care everybody

• Posted

Hi ...... It takes a good while for them to get into your system, and ur body t get used to the higher dose

But they really are good once the side affects ease off..... and they will ......

So just think you will see the light at the end of the tunnel, and be glad u persevered with them

Good Luck

Maizie

• Posted

I feel your pain Patricia as I started Mirtazapine about 6 weeks ago now and at first I was on 15mg for 8 days then 30 for 13 days and 45mg for 16 days but had to drop back to 30mg as 45mg made me really tense and irritable. I have been back on the 30mg dose for 9 days now and still waiting to re-adjust and feel the full benefit from it.

I am goig to stick with it even though over the past day I have felt really low and my self harm thoughts come back I don't listen to them, cause I have never self harmed and never will, but all in all vert destressing times.

Until I found this site on Google I felt very alone only cause it's hard for others to know exactly what your going through.

I am pretty sure my main prob is my dose was jumped up way to quickly....i.e 15mg,30mg,45mg within the first few weeks of being on mirt.

Hang in their mate smile

• Posted

I have been taking mirtazapine for 4 weeks now . I have been on 30 mg for the last 2 weeks and I am not quite sure how i am feeling . I'm very up and down at the moment but my GP says it is very common at this stage . I have been on meds in the past for PND, and i think i always felt worse just before i started to feel better.
    • Posted

Hi Emma

I'm afraid Mirtazapine didn't work for me.  When I was on 15m g it worked for 2 months then stopped.  My GP increased it to 30 then 45  but I felt worse.  I then went back on Venlafaxine up to 225 mg but it didn't wrk.  I felt terrible every day b ut beter at night.

I saw a Psychiatrist at my local hospital who said se was prescribing 15 mg Mirt and 150mg Venlafaxine.  I pointed out that neither of them had worked. It seems that they work better in combin ation.  Well I am pleased to say that after 5 daysof this combination I am completely back to normal.  I just can't believe it.

When I was on the Mirt.  I had a lot of encouragement from people on the Forum for whom it had worked.  So perhaps you should give t a little longer.  Hope you will be soon back to your old self.  I never thought I would ever be and I am sure you will be too.  I'm afraid you just have to be patient with these drugs.  It's not like taking paracetamal for a headache.

• Posted

When you start it cant take 6-8 weeks to be thearuptic , so a change or Increase I am guessing will take a few week to kick in. We are all different thou
    • Posted

Jumbo could do with some help please.

Been on 15mg mirtazapine for 26 days, 30mg for 6 days, 45mg for

23 days so just over 3 weeks at the highest dose.

I feel so restless and unsettled. I have only had 1 fairly reasonable day

Which was yesterday. When I wake in the morning around 5 or 6 am I

Feel so anxious and panic, stomach churning, don't know what to do

With myself. Surely I should be getting some benefit by now. Also today my tongue feels kind of burning.

Your advice would be most appreciated.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.