How long does it take for 30 mg of Mirtazapine to take effect

Posted , 70 users are following.

I have just had my medication increased from 15 mg to 30 mg. When I started taking the 15 mg it literally started working the next day. I am now into my sixth day of 30 mg and I am feeling worse. I would appreciate it if someone could give me their experience with this medication.

1 like, 115 replies

115 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I have been on Mirtazapine for 3 weeks now, this after having awful side effects and results from both Lexapro and Efexxor.  I was about ready to discount altogether the notion that anything could be given to me to help me start feeling better, or if my insomnia, anxiety, and overall displeasure in getting up an about and doing anything was even depression at all, HOWEVER, I AM ACTUALLY FEELING A BIT BETTER, after 3 weeks on Mirtazapine, and I can only imagine it continuing to get better.  So let that be a lessson, a doctor can never anticipate exactly what med works best (although their are DNA related testing some MD's use now), so it may take a few tries, but do not ever give up, something will work for you...
    • Posted

Hello,

Just wondering what your side effects were for Efexxor and Lexapro.  I seem to get extreme anxiety on stuff that I have tired.  Currently I am on Mirtzapine, almost 3 weeks at the 30 mg but I am not seeming improvement.  You mention a DNA related test?

• Posted

I recently started taking Mirtazapine a couple months back and have noticed improvement. It does take some time to work itself into your system. I started with 15mg. I just upped it another 7.5 mg which I take at a later time. I noticed a good effect from upping it at first in the mornings, but its been a bit intermitent. I was just wondering how you guys take yours; split up over 2-3 times depending on dose or all in one sitting? I only ask because I havent been able to talk to dr. lately to get his opinion on it.
  • Posted

Hi, I have been taking mirtazepine since the beginning of January, the doctor increased it to 30mgs 3 weeks ago as I wasn't feeling any better. The last week I have had a feeling of impending doom, and feel like I am going to panic in certain situations. Sat in a coffee shop the other day and there was a very loud woman in there and it took all my willpower not to tell her to shut up. I am normally very patient and controlled, very organised and can usually take whatever life throws at me. Then there is the food thing I am not hungry but I am constantly picking sometimes to the point of feeling sick. This is the first time in my life I have not felt in control, not sure what to do next, has anyone else felt like this

• Posted

Hi Jeanette, how are you doing on the Mirtazapine?

I'm taking this tablet for menopausal anxiety and insomnia. I went to a GP who put me on mirtazapine 30 mgs.  I've been taking it now for almost 3 weeks. I have managed to reduce Xanax (Alprazolam) and Zopiclone (sleeping tablet) but, nonetheless, I find it has changed my personality.  I feel angry, bitter, anxious, and irritable most of the time.  I was never like this before. I just want my life back! 

• Posted

I am taking Mirtazapine for perimenpause anxiety. I started taking 15mg about 2 years ago. Just like everyone else my GP upped it to 30mg. I was feeling foggy and tired and miserable. I startred seeing a psychiatrist and we decided it was best for me at 15mg only. Something a LOT of GP's (even my pharmacist) wasn't aware of is that Mirtazapine can start to have a stimulating effect with the higher dose (30/45mg), which prevents you from going into true REM sleep making you feel right out of it the next day! I had no idea until my very wonderful psychiatrist showed me the information. It doesn't necessarilly have that affect on everyone but that was the case for me. I've been on 15mg now for almost 3 years and it has really helped. Downside has been the weight gain but I really do feel like me again.  Don't be afraid to tell your doctors that you want to go down in dose. They can guide you but no point in staying on a dose that is making you feel horrible. One note, I did feel a bit off for about 3 days (mild withdrawl) after going from 30mg down to the 15mg but stick it out and you just may find you agian. I am off Atavan too, haven't needed it since going back down. Good luck!
  • Posted

Patricia, thank you so much for your reply! It gives me hope to know that others have been going through the same ordeal. Perhaps, what I find annoying is that I was a happy and content person. During my perimenopause, (apart from taking Xanax), I was on three different types of antidepressants. First on citalopram, then changed to Prozac. Since that didn't seem to work, I asked to be put on cipralex. I then realised that SSRI ADs didn't work on me and I desperately wanted to come off Xanax (which seemed to be the only thing controlling my anxiety). I also remember trying Effexor which did seem to work, but I stopped it as I realised I was putting on weight. Apparently, my anxiety is due to very low oestrogen, but I don't like the idea of taking HRT since my grandmother, on my mother's side, died of breast cancer at the age of 42, and my cousin (also on my mother's side) has also had breast cancer. 

On reading some of of the posts on this forum, I have realised that I seem to be the only person to have started on the high dose of mirtazapine, ie 30 mgs. Perhaps, the GP who prescribed it thought it would have a better effect on me. I'm seeing her on Monday, and I'll share all this with her. I just want to be me again! 

• Posted

Similar story to yours, I started with 7.5 mg and felt much better, but then that stopped working and I increased to 15, felt better for a couple and then down again, increased, etc. until I was up to 37.5 mg and on the couch with apathy, no motivation, depressed.  I had come off of Effexor too quickly but didn't realize I was in withdrawal when I started the Mirt.  I still don't know why the mirt would work. Only thing it does for me is help me sleep and eat, and now I have gained weight, NOT a good thing!

I ended up reinstating the Effexor, so now I am on BOTH!  Trying to get off the mirt now.

• Posted

My experience is that I started to notice it working about 10 days after taking it. I started on 15mg, then 30mg and finally 45mg.
    • Posted

I'm on Mirtazapine for post-menopausal anxiety and insomnia.  My GP switched me from Cipralex 10 mgs to 30 mgs of Mirtazapine.  The first 3 weeks were horrendous! By the sixth week, it had kicked in nicely.  I am now on 45 mgs and am reaping its benefits! I have been able to cut down on Xanax: 050 micrograms to 025.5 micrograms. I have also manged to control my weight, which is an added bonus! biggrin

• Posted

Hi Patricia,

I started on 30mg Mirtazapine one week ago today, after trying Citalopram (40mg) for 2 months, but I could never get a decent sleep on it! Fingers crosssed it will kick in soon for you.

• Posted

Hi Patricia - I started on 15mg for 21 days then increasaed to 22.5 for 27 days.  I now am on 30mg second day and having restless sleep.  Yesterday I felt great when I woke up but today am very tired.  I like you hope this goes  away once my body gets used to the new dose.  How are you feeling worse?

Kathy

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.