How long does it take for 30 mg of Mirtazapine to take effect

Posted , 70 users are following.

I have just had my medication increased from 15 mg to 30 mg. When I started taking the 15 mg it literally started working the next day. I am now into my sixth day of 30 mg and I am feeling worse. I would appreciate it if someone could give me their experience with this medication.

1 like, 115 replies

115 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

irtHi Guys,

Just joined this site as I was reading this thread with interest having just recently starting Mirt and having problems with it. I notice this thread is quite old though. Are you guys still on the

• Posted

Hi Guys,Just joined this site as I was reading this thread with interest having just recently starting Mirt and having problems with it. I notice this thread is quite old though. Are you guys still on the Mirt and what kind of reaction and or help has it been for you?

I've had terrible deppression/anxiety/guilty thoughts for 25 years and finally 5 years ago went to see the Dr. He gave me Citolopram and it literally saved my sanity. I was taking 40mg for 5 years and figured I would be taking it till the day I died. I had zero side effects from it from day 1. Never knew I was taking it.

However about 8 weeks ago after a blood test it turned out my Prolactin leavels were through the roof and the Citolpram was to blame. They immediately took me off it with very little reduce in dosage first, and lordy did I feel weird, emotional and like I had electricity running through my body for about a month.

Now because of this prolactin thing I can longer have any ssri anti deppresent and apparently the only thing I can take is Mirt. Starting on 15mg for 2 weeks, I felt kind of ok but I certainly knew I was taking it, I felt strange like my head and legs were full of tingles. I could not sleep at all sitting up watching tv most of the night. After 2 weeks My dose was increased to 30mg. This hit me like a truck! My whole body was like an electic conduit, I was very angry, had no patience and had terrible restless legs.

I just stopped taking it. I went to see the Dr and told him I hated the stuff and could I please just go back on an SSRI, he insists I can't and will need to write to an expert to ask what to do.

So that was 2 weeks ago, slowly but surely I can feel all my old deppression creeping back in, intrusive thoughts the whole shibang. So last night I took 15mg of Mirt again and figured I'd give it another go.

I guess I'm hoping somebody can tell me all the side effects wear off after a while and it's the best drug eversmile  Thanks for listening to my moaning.

• Posted

Hi Steve I stopped my body just didn't like it and changed to another med.

• Posted

Hi Steve ..I have just started taking it was in 15mg and three weeks later totally lost it now on 30mg ..still, feeling Low and haven't been diagnosed yet .,seeing mental health team end of month ..

similar to you I feel I have been depressed for almost 30years , finally broke me and asked for help ..so hoping this is the road mo getting professional help and understanding ..I see this is an old post so hopefully you are feeling the benefits now  please let me know 

• Posted

I've just started 15MG of mirt and so far it hasn't seem too help me at all. Was told it would help me rest at night But, I seem too toss and turn more and feel tired from no sleep during the Day.

Any suggestions, Anyone ?

• Posted

I was on Sertraline for 2 months, it had worked before but not this time. Doc switched me to Duloxetine 3 weeks ago, that wasn't helping so 5 days ago  I saw a psychiatrist who put me on 30 MG Mirtazapine.

Does anyone have any experience of this combination? I am feeling like I live in a parallel universe and am finding it VERY difficult to keep my small business going.

• Posted

Duloxtine will not work in three weeks I am 3 weeks in after setraline. My personal experiences of mirt were terrible I felt like a zombie on 75mg and stopped but everyone's different.

• Posted

I'm weening off this meds every 2 weeks after what I've seen o the TV it's a choice you all have to make I would say I'm feeling more myself and gonna not stop till this nasty drug us out of my body

• Posted

I know this has not received any posts lately, but here go's.

I restarted Mirt 30mg about 10 days ago after being on various doses from 7.5mg to 45 mg for about 3 months recently, without any success.

Had 4 days on Sertraline in between which made me almost suicidal and GP took me off them.

Problem is I have gone right through all the regular meds like Citalopram,Prozac ,Venlafaxine etc in about six episodes of anxiety and depression since about 1992.

The last time    I was in a really bad way after 15 or more weeks on Ven with the night sweats etc. and poor sleep,and just not getting any better. Felt suicidal again and my GP took me off Ven for 5 days and then  start Mirt 15mg.

I was worried about weaning off Ven like that, but felt so much better by the time I started on Mirt. It was as if I wasn't taking any med at all by then and within a few more days I was my normal self. Stayed on it for 6 months as I was feeling fine all that  time.This was all back in January 2013 and been fine since then ,up to July this year when I went back on Mirt.

GP and myself came to an agreement after the Sertraline failure , to restart Mirt 30 mg. again, as the plus side was I get a good nights sleep although a bit groggy in the morning.

I am full of positive thinking and motivation to get better, although motivation for all the things I used to enjoy in life is very hard to muster at the moment.

I am posting here just hoping there may be others who are in a similar situation.

I hope all this makes sense as I also find it difficult to get my head together to write all this down to explain it all.

I am just not the same in my head as my normal self, but I know I will get better.

I know from past experience it is not a quick fix, but I do so want this Mirtazapine to work for me.

• Posted

i started taking mirtazapine at 15mg...felt no effect...then it was increased to 30 mg and i started to see a reduction in anxiety and my symptoms of depression...then it was increased again because i still had some symptoms of depression...it does help with my fatigue and tiredness though since i have none while taking my current medications...but i also take ziprasadone which started to make me feel like normal again after 3-5 days...while taking the mirtazapine...
    • Posted

I've been on 30 mg mirt for about 2 months and have been feeling much better for about 2 weeks. I'm also taking 200mg Zoloft and found the combination to work really well for me

• Posted

Hi Gab,

Do you have difficulty going to bed at night? I started with 15mg Mirtazapine 2 weeks ago, it had improved my sleep but anxiety was still there. Then increased my dose to 30mg but feeling worse than before. Short-tempered, negative thoughs, get annoyed easily and most importantly, my sleep quality has decreased. Was able to sleep for a few hours when I was on 15mg, but now most of the time, I'm in a state where I don't even know if I'm awake or asleep. This is my 9th day, I'm not sure if I should stick with it for miracle to happen.

• Posted

Keep going with the 30mg for around the 3 week mark hopefully you should start to feel an improvement. Have you tried combining the mirtazapine with Zoloft? My sleep has improved, I still get anxiety from time to time so I have incorporated and good walk into my day aiming for 1500 steps and found I feel less "hectic" best of luck. 

• Posted

Hi su76460, It's early so hang in there, give it 4/5 weeks. I'm on it with Zoloft & combo is working for me. Started on 15 ml then 30ml and then 45ml which had near disastrous outcome, suicidal, so was taken back to 30 ml which is fine. In saying that I'm weening of Mirt because of dramatic weight gain, 28kg in 5 months! It was prescribed to me to stimulate my appetite which it certainly has done. Withdrawing has been easy, no side affects but still on 15ml currently. If 30ml is having negative effects see Dr and maybe 15ml is the best outcome for you. Good Luck.

• Posted

Hi Robarni,

It's been 11 months now... How are you doing recently? Have you weaned off mirtz already?

• Posted

hello, did you get better. ive been on 200mg Sertraline for 16 years which worked like a dream for GAD and depression. It suddenly stopped working and Dr has put me on 15mg Mirtzipane and increased to 30mg after 2 weeks. Would be great to hear how you got on as you were on same dosage augmentation. THANKS

• Posted

not sure if you are still on here but your story sounds just like me now! did you stick with mirt?

• Posted

Hi Liz1234,

Yes I am still here! Please hang on to your meds. It will get better, don't give up. I've been on anti depressants for two years, now I am living a normal and happier life. I had to give up my full-time job for an easier part-time job, but I am happy to say that I am 90% recovered. Was previously on fluoxetine 20mg, then changed my med to mirtz 15mg, 30mg and 45mg. I had a really bad relapse when I was on 45mg, so Dr decided to change my meds again, now I am back to mirtz 30mg plus fluoxetine 10mg, the combo works for me.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.