How long does it take for antibiotics to work for kidney inf

Posted , 29 users are following.

Just been prescribed ciprofloxacin for kidney infection wondering how long it take to work, was told 48 hours by GP but still feel really ill after 4 days. Never had this before so not sure how long it will last.

1 like, 43 replies

43 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi I noticed you said you're taking ibuprofen but Ive read that you shouldn't ifyou have a kidney infection! I was diagnosed with it on Monday and antibiotics just don't seem to be making me feel better. Doctor said see how I am Friday but not sure I can wait that long. Anyone else struggling to drink lots of water? Doesn't matter what I drink I have had a headache for days! This is horrible!

• Posted

This kidney pain is no joke.  I have been on Cipro for 4 1/2 days and am still nauseous and dealing with chills on and off. Have sharp pelvic pain bending and when sitting. Also some side pain and in the area of my lower back. The only test run was a urine. Culture got lost so glad to repeat yesterday. I had no blood in my urine but did have leukocytes indicating infection. The stones in my kidneys have been there since 1999.  I have had my share of UTIs but never diagnosed with a kidney infection until this episode. Pain is a lot different. My feeling iafterafte reading up on kidney stones and infections is to give the medication a week but if symptoms get worse see the doctor immediately.  I am going in for a nurse visit tomorrow but won't leave without seeing the doctor if I don't see some improvement by tomorrow. Of course we are dealing with another long weekend.     My doctor won't aporove a CT scan till she sees the results of my culture.  Drama. HMOS. CANT SEE a urologist without her ok.   Stay persistent. You are your best advocate........

• Posted

also told to drink parsley drink.  I am making with fresh parsley and peeled Granny Smiths.  Ginger is also good.  Stay away from potassium rich foods......potatoes.....banana....etc.
    • Posted

Why would you say not to eat 0otassium rich foods ? The emergency room gave me a potassium pill after the iv drip antibiotics.. but I have a headache so bad I can't even stand up, as well as all of the other symptoms people are talking about, nausea, chills, etc.

• Posted

I was just prescribed Cipro for a kidney infection, and after reading the four-page list of side effects possible (scary), and reading the horror stories of people who reviewed this medication, I'm kind of nervous about taking it and I'm thinking about asking for a different antibiotic. I'm on a seven-day regimen, two pills a day, and this is my first day. I'm going to give it a couple of days, and If I don't see any results, or if I start experiencing any of the side effects, I'm going to try something else.

• Posted

Hello, yes give Cipro a chance to work if it doesn't seem to do the job ask for something else. Cipro didn't work for me so had to go on Microbid and that worked good luck. 

• Posted

I have had kidney pain in my

right flank since Nov 14. At first, I thought I cracked a rib or pulled a muscle from a bad cough I had. Over thanksgiving, my inlaw said she thought I had a kidney stone.  The pain was relentless and only 600 mg of Advil somewhat cut the pain. A CT scan was done and  they  found a 5 mm non obstructing stone. They said that was not the source of my pain. They then said they found rare white and red blood cells in my urine from a urinalysis. A culture was sent out. Results are still to come back. In the meantime, they put me on what they said was a high dose of antibiotic that took care of most kidney infections-  amox-clav 875 mg 2 x day for 7 days. They said I would feel better in 2-3 days. Today is day 6 and I’m finally feeling better. Does that make sense? I went to ER yesterday because I thought antibiotic was not working, hoping to get some type relief, maybe another antibiotic but instead they sent me home saying that they thought it was muscular skeltal. I’m was at loose of words leaving the ER yeasterday  and hoping tomorrow brings another good day. Thoughts?  Does 5-6 days seem unrealistic for me to see results?

F

• Posted

I'm on the same medication and I'm on my 5th day and I still have pain and swelling and hardness on my right kidney, it just doesn't feel right. I'm on this for 7 days and I must go back to work soon but with my job I'm outside for hours ( I'm a traffic controller)and no real places to use bathroom but the woods and its cold. I know the pain will be worse and I can't be on to many pain meds. Ill need my wits about myself. What should I do?

• Posted

The antibiotic finally kicked in last Sunday. I started the Tuesday before. Hopefully you are finally getting relief.  If not, hopefully they did a urine culture to figure out what antibiotic to treat you with Next. What a nightmare figuring this out! 
  • Posted

Hello! I was diagnosed with a UTI (i'm male) four days ago and was prescribed Cirpofloxacin 500mg (twice daily, 20 pills). My very painful and severe urinary problems where dramatically better later that same day (thank God). However, day 2 I developed a mild fever, which went away by the following morning. Day 3 I noticed dull shifting back pain. Day 4 (today) the pain has slightly intensified and settled in my lower back, left side. I suspect my UTI has developed into a kidney infection, but I'm also under the understanding that Ciprofloxacin is used for both UTI and Kidney infection. I'm going to return to the doctor's in the morning and go from there. Can anyone provide any insight to these symptoms? Is it possible for symptoms to develop after antibiotics are started? Does what I'm describing sound familiar to any of your experiences? Thank you in advance 

• Posted

Alex- I took a different antibiotic that was really strong and felt worse the first couple of days of taking it. My friend who passed a stone and got a kidney infection warned me about that. If you still continue to have pain, they should do a urine culture which takes days to come back and maybe switch you onto a different antibiotic. You very well could have either kidney stones, kidney infection or both. Takes either an X-ray, ultrasound or CT to diagnosis. Good luck...
  • Posted

For kidney infection, does the back hurt when pressed or it hurts on its own...
    • Posted

Hi hun it hurts on its own plus your grin and legs hurt and you feel sick and dizzy too as I have one at the moment hope you feel better soon smile
    • Posted

Am also feeling damn cold.. Am currently on meds.. I have no clue on how i got infected
    • Posted

Me neither hun but I hope and pray that it goes away soon as it's like being gripped by a vice and so painful too I also felt cold and then hot too

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.