How long does it take for Citalopram take to work?

Posted , 9 users are following.

Have been on citalopram now for 2 weeks and still feel extremely anxious and have had some unpleasant symptoms -panic attacks, pins and needles, fizzy tongue (bit of a sour taste in mouth) feeling hot and bothered, racy and unable to relax, jumpy. I also feel all prickly-bit like pins& needles crossed with prickly heat etc-don't think its the citalopram as this was why I took it. . Skin feels sensitive and get body zaps. Then unwanted fears creep in that are uncontrollable like it could be a illness unrelated to anxiety and fear of death. makes me feel like I am going mad. Am hoping the citalopram will help me restore my once confident happy self. Have been recommended Bach rescue remedy to help too-can I take this as well as the citalopram? Can anyone help with any advice and tips.?

2 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Charlotte, most of what you just said your feeling does actually coincide with citalopram I'm afraid and they can last anywhere from 4 to 8 weeks before you feel the full benefit of the medication, you've done well to get to 2 weeks, i didn't last 1 week on it because my side effects were so severe.

But you hang on in there, I'm on venlafaxine bow and although i cant give you first hand experience of citalopram making you feel better, venlafaxine has made my life amazing compared to what it was, and their both antidepressants so am guessing similar effects.

And as far as other medications go i don't know what Bach is, all i know is they don't mix well, in my experience, with over the counter Nytol one a night (not the herbal one).

Hang on in there, there is a light at the end of all this.

Danielle x

• Posted

Hubby was on it for about a month before he noticed a difference in how he felt. Everyone is different. some might see results sooner than later.
  • Posted

Hi Charlotte,

If you Google "drug interactions" you will find sites where you can compare different drugs to see if they affect one another wink

I'm afraid the side effects you mention though are more than likely due to CIT. I'm on week 4 now & have been through the worst of what you mention so hang on in there wink

Keep strong honey

Loulyn x

• Posted

Hiya I been on citalpram for around 6 weeks now and things have settled down. What bothered me most was the lack of sleep but its gradually gettin better. Hope things work for you.
    • Posted

Hey Angela,

I'm on week 3 of Citalopram now and still not seeing much difference in my anxiety. How long does it take?

Thanks

• Posted

Thankyou everyone for your replies,its reassuring to know other people are or have been in a simular situation!! I know the citalopram wont take away the cause of the problem but it will help me to manage the situation in a better frame of mind!! Well thats what I am told. Am still finding sleep a problem, I usually get off ok but then POP in the early hours a thought occurs and the tingly anxy feels return. Grrr hate it!! Still find it hard to relax and toss and turn for the rest of the night-dont want to get up as do need some rest! Does anyone also find you feel a bit claustraphic? This is new to me and was getting a bit panicy about breathing-am too tense to try @deep breathing techniques. Any more tips with the citalopram would be useful if your happy to share.

Charlotte

• Posted

Hi Charlotte,

Claustrophobia is one of rare side effect associated with citalopram use & is observed more commonly among elderly users. It is always better to notify your GP about how you are feeling while taking antidepressants. He may refer you cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT)/counselling to cope up with citalopram side effects.

As with all antidepressants, citalopram too may take several weeks of treatment before maximum effects are seen. Overall, between 1 in 6 and 1 in 5 persons experience a side effect & they may last for a month or so.

Ask your GP whether you can take them in morning so that they don’t disturb your good night sleep.

Just give yourself some more time & you would land in happy days again!!!

All the best honey.

Louis

• Posted

Thank you Louis its lovely to know that people out there are willing to offer help and advice. I take my citalopram in the morning anyway but still wake in the night with overwhelming anxiety and symptoms etc. Yes will go back to GP and keep him informed. Its the lack of sleep that is really getting to me as when these thoughts come and wake you its worrying that it could be something else. I understand that problems seem much bigger in the middle of the night when you are the only one awake, plus it doesn't matter how many times my boyfriend tells me I am ok and he fully supports me it doesn't make it any easier. Am lucky to have such a understanding partner though! Am trying to keep positive and tell myself it will pass and I will get better. I just want to be back to my self again as I don't feel myself at the moment!

Thanks again.

Charlotte

• Posted

Hi Charlotte, just wondering if you'd considered taking a beta blocker to help with the anxiety?

I was the same as you when i started antidepressants, it did get worse before it got better but my doctor also prescribed me a beta blocker (Propranolol) It's used to stop all the physical signs of panic attacks, the adrenalin rush, shaking, tight chest, manic panic etc, but it also lowers your blood pressure which stops the anxious feeling.

As soon as i started taking them both together the whole lot of my symptoms disappeared, the panic attacks, anxiety and depression.

It may be worth a mention to your doctor.

These days I am so much more relaxed than what i was. A couple of weeks ago i was in a similar place to you but i had trouble falling asleep as well, couldn't sleep until 5am and then id get that shock awake moment at 7am, so i wasn't getting a lot of sleep, but now i can fall asleep with no problems and get a good nights sleep too, still feel a little groggy in the morning and get the most realistic strange, but not scary, dreams, but honestly those are worth getting a good nights sleep and it's nothing you cant handle.

My partners also relieved I'm sleeping better as well lol.

Anyway like i said i think you should at least enquire about them, they made my life so much better.

Best wishes

Danielle x

• Posted

Help!

I need some advice on here people, can anyone help?? Have been on 20mg of citalopram for 3 weeks now and although the crisis anxiety feelings are slowly reducing I still do not feel in control again. Any slight stressful situation makes my anxiety levels high again. I have been trying to do mindfulness but don't seem to bat off the thoughts. My confidence is really low and find the things I usually do really hard to do which adds to my anxiety and feel like its a cycle I am unable to control. I know its up to me and am debating whether to ask the Dr to up the citalopram to 30mg. Sleep is still a problem and don't seem to be able to get full nights sleep. If I were to up it I don't really want the groggy feelings that it gives me to increase. I just want to get back to the place where I was before all this anxiety came and made me feel like this.

Advice would be helpful from you guys!

Thankyou

Charlotte

• Posted

Hi Charlotte,

I read your post and thought "that's exactly my experience" the crisis anxiety and how it effects normal function! I hope things are improving for you - I know things can be a 'living hell' of negatively and depression others simply don't understand. I've spent most of my life struggling with anxieties without any help and it only took the slightest setback or negaitive event to send me spirralling down to a dark place. I finally realised I got to a point where I needed help otherwise I was going to be in deep trouble. I'm not really on the up yet as I've only been on citalopram for a week but it's atleast given me some hope and I really need it to work! I don't really care at this point what the sideffects are too much - I just want to get rid of this anxiety and depression that drags me down.

Jezzer

• Posted

Hi Charlottle im on my 6th or 7th week of cit i still cant get a proper sleep and it's driving me mad at times, i come to work shattered. but saying that at the same time as going on cit im coming off an old tablet trazodone so i think my trouble stems from them. If anyone can help with this also i wouldn't mind some advice on this thanks xx
  • Posted

Hi charlotte and Angela,

Only advice i can give is in the same message as above. I had the same problem when i was on the antidepressant alone, its not until my doctor prescribed me a beta blocker (Propranolol) that i actually started fully calming down. Please, if anything, go back to your doctors and give them a shot.

They are designed to stop all physical symptoms of a panic attack and stop anxiety. Just trust me when i say this, they helped me a whole lot and still do now.

They will help you, please, for your own sake try them.

Danielle x

• Posted

I am 54 yrs old. I have been on citalopram for 8 days now. I am extremely sensitive to all sorts of medications. I've always been nervous to take phych meds. My Dr put me on only 2.5mg of citalopram because of my medication sensitivity. I have been experiencing mood swings, anxiety, headaches and fogginess/tiredness. I know it's a small amount in comparison to most of you but do these side effects go away. I'm getting panickyto continue using it. I am a 30 yr diabetic with gastroparesis which can cause some depression just dealingwith the symptoms of that. I have a extensive medical history but, I'm just a bit scared where this medication is such a small dose and I'm having symptoms with it. Thanks for listening-Rita
  • Posted

Rita,

No matter how low the dosage, all antidepressants take between 4 and 8 weeks to fully get in your system and take effect. Your low dosage may be why your side effects aren't as bad as others, that doesn't in any way mean your side effects aren't bad, it depends on the person. And yes, all of what you've described above are side effects of citalopram.

Did your doctor explain that it gets worse before it gets better with antidepressants, that means all the side effects your having are a result of it starting to get into your system, but they do say perceiver with them because they do make a difference, you just have to wait for it.

Between 4 and 8 weeks (depending on the person) the side effects will start to ease, you'll notice it.

Hope this helps

Danielle x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.