How long does it take for Citalopram take to work?

Posted , 9 users are following.

Have been on citalopram now for 2 weeks and still feel extremely anxious and have had some unpleasant symptoms -panic attacks, pins and needles, fizzy tongue (bit of a sour taste in mouth) feeling hot and bothered, racy and unable to relax, jumpy. I also feel all prickly-bit like pins& needles crossed with prickly heat etc-don't think its the citalopram as this was why I took it. . Skin feels sensitive and get body zaps. Then unwanted fears creep in that are uncontrollable like it could be a illness unrelated to anxiety and fear of death. makes me feel like I am going mad. Am hoping the citalopram will help me restore my once confident happy self. Have been recommended Bach rescue remedy to help too-can I take this as well as the citalopram? Can anyone help with any advice and tips.?

2 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi there,

As I have posted in earlier discussions am still not feeling great on the citalopram, I have now been on it for 4 weeks and although I have fleeting moments of feeling less anxy am not totally there yet. Is it really true that it can take 8 weeks to feel the benifits? I went back to my Dr and he said its still early days and wouldn't up my dose. He did however prescribe diazepan which sort of helps but as soon as I try to address some of my worries it seems to take me back to square 1. My problems seem a unclimbable mountain and feel not in a good place to even try.

Another question too. Does it make a difference if you take the citalopram in the morning or night time as imy worst time is usually first thing in the morning. As sleep is still a problem I am finding life quite challenging at the moment and cant really see a way out. I usually get off to sleep ok but by 2 or 3 in the morning am wide awake!! As am on 20 mg a day would it be better to spilt the dose so I have 10mg in the a.m and 10mg at night! Any help would be VERY greatfully recieved!! x

• Posted

Hi, is anyone able to help on my last post?  Think I pressed the wrong button and seem to be replying to my own posts too-grrrrrr!

I mentioned that have been on Citalopram now for almost 4 weeks and still feel roughly the same-Dr has also now prescribed diazepan which sort of helps!? My worst times are in the early hours as sleep is a problem. Would it be better to take half a dose in the a.m and hald p.m or just take it a.m or p.m. Am at my wits end and hate feeling like this!!

• Posted

Hi Charlotte, 

I know your post was 3 months ago but I wanted to see how you were doing? I was put on Celexa 5 1/2 weeks ago. First 4 weeks at 20 mg. than up to 30 mg. I still feel "unreal" and complely spaced out which I hate more than anything... Has  Celexa helped anyone with these feelings? Some of my physical symptoms are gone like gagging sensation and not being able to sleep. I feel like this is some kind of hell Ive been trapped in for 8 months. Can anyone let me know how long it took for them to feel "normal" or like "your old self" again on Celexa? thanks 

• Posted

Hi charioteer, how did things pan out for you? Did it all level out and the sleeping retur? I hope you are doing well. I'm on nearly two weeks and not slsleeping!

X

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.