How long does it take LPR to heal?

Posted , 27 users are following.

Dear all,

Having read numerous threads I haven’t read one yet that actually describes the length of time it’s taken for LPR to go.

In fact I’ve read lots from people who are still suffering but no real concrete account of how someone has beaten it.

I would love to hear someones experience and what worked for them but am guessing because they’re healed they’ve managed to move on and stop posting.

I’ve been diagnosed with LPR since July last year and although having been prescribed PPI’s and tried to keep to a strict diet my symptoms are still there.

Back ache, chest ache, sore throat, cough, arm pit ache, sore voice box, lump in throat sensation etc.

I’ve gained relief from sticking to a bland diet, drinking alkaline water, raised the bed, lots of gaviscon, smaller meals, chewing properly, chewing gum etc.

I have no real symptoms at the beginning of the day but as soon as the day progresses it returns.

Just as I feel as though I’m getting some where it returns and I’m back to square one.  

So my questions are:

How long does it take to heal?

Are there stages of healing? If so what are they?

What was successful in the healing process?

What food don’t hurt to eat?

Are the sensations and pain there each and everyday?

Does stress play a part in LPR?

I would be extremely grateful if any or all of these questions are answered.

Thanks to everyone in advance.

0 likes, 45 replies

45 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi.

Im just 20 Yo ,I was diagnosed with GERD and Gastristis last month, Dr. gave me Pantoprazole ,Ranitidine and put on strict diet. Been eating rise and boiled chicken and bananas all this time, sad but im starting to feel better.I think the key is to eat small meals specialy dinner. And eat 2 or 3 hours before you go to bed

• Posted

I have almost the same exact symptoms. I wake up feeling fine and as the day goes on my sore throat, burning sensation and feeling of a lump returns to full force by night time. I’ve decided today to stop drinking my daily coffee. I’ve been on prescribed medication for 4 days now and not many symptoms have reduced. The only sever symptom that is now usually gone is the swollen lump feeling, but that often times comes back. I plan to try an acid limiting diet and cut out caffeine in hopes to get some relief. I also plan to do honey 3x a day as suggested. Any other advise would be welcomed. Good luck everybody. 
  • Edited

I know this post is old but I am hoping to help someone out here and maybe get my questions answered as well. To answer the original question "how long does it take to heal from lpr". To get to the point of the question it took me 3-6 months of PPI twice a day. This is a small detail that makes the difference in whether or not the PPI works for LPR. You must take it twice a day. Once before breakfast and once before dinner. I set a timer to take it and I wait 35 minutes before eating. You have to wait around 30 minutes before eating and you also have to eat about that time for it to work. I won't get into my story because it's similar to everyone else. A multitude of symptoms out of nowhere and over year of getting no relief. I had every test imaginable and all results came back normal. My doc, initially, suspected acid reflux and prescribed ppi once in the morning and said I should feel better in a couple of weeks. I took the PPI for 30 days and absolutely no difference. Finally, I stumbled across some info on LPR and it said to take PPI twice a day for 3-6 months. I tried it and it worked, eventually. It took at least 2 months to get the slightest bit of relief but it took a full 5 or 6 months to feel normal again. The problem I have now is I tried to taper back down to 1 pill a day and the symptoms returned about 6 weeks later. I had to start over with the twice a day ppi and I am finally getting back on track after about 3 months. I guess I will have to be on them forever. To answer another question about symptoms, yes when I wake up I feel fine but as soon as I start eating and drinking, even water, the burning throat starts to creep up and eventually it's completely on fire for the rest of the day. It's absolute hell and thank goodness for the PPI. I am 37 years old and in good shape with no other medical conditions. This seems to have come out of nowhere. The only 2 things that I can think maybe triggered this is 1) I did sort of binge eat at night. I would eat light all day and workout and then I would eat like a dozen cookies or more. I did this for years so maybe it weakened something in my stomach? The 2nd theory is that for years I would gag when I brushed my teethe. I got in the habit of doing that and it got to where I was really gagging hard every morning for years. I hope this helps as I have been researching this now for almost 2 years trying to get answers. I would love to know what causes this issue but that seems elusive at this time. Also I tried a multitude of home remedies and diets and nothing helped much at all.

• Edited

IN ANSWER TO UR QUESTION , DOES STRESS PLAY A PART IN THIS. I WOULD FROM MY OWN EXPERIENCE SAY VERY MUCH SO!WHEN WE GET STRESSED WE ARE IN A HIGH ADRENIALINE MODE. SO I THINK THAT THE STOMACHE MAY ALSO RESPOND IN NOT FUNCTIONING PROPERLY & ACIDS BUILD UP OR PEPSIN & FLOW OUT . JUST MY EXPERIENCE & THOUGHTS.

I TO WOULD LIKE TO KNOW OF A HIGH PH DIET SPACIFICCALY WHAT TO EAT ALSO. TY. FOR UR QUESTIONS & PRAY WE ALL GET HEALED.

• Posted

Simon, Altho I am sorry to hear that you are suffering, I was feeling better that someone else was complaining of symptoms worsening thru the day. Other than a bit of throat clearing when I wake up, I am good until late afternoon. Then I cough/clear like crazy, and can't seem to get past it. I can go on for hours. I know this is a bad thing to do because of the damage I am causing, but it's like a primal instinct......"there is something stuck in the layrnx so GET RID OF IT!"

I also have back pain, which I haven't seen too many ppl talk about.

Because I don't get heartburn, I can't tell if the damage is happening at night or thru the day. Silent, right?

On day 11 of AWD. No meds. Tried PPI's before and they didn't help at all. I may be seeing a bit of an improvement with the diet, but could be wishful thinking. I will give manuka honey a shot. I will also start carrying around some snacks, but some of the snacks that ppl have mentioned don't sound that healthy. Plain puffed rice or cheerios might work.

Will continue to follow this thread, and update on progress. I have been tracking hours spent coughing/clearing and will put in graph form after a month or so to see if I can see a healing trend.

Thx again for your original post. Company in misery.

• Posted

I was diagnosed with LPR yesterday after suffering from the same symptoms for 3months ,I cant tell you how its affected my life as it would fill a book.I hate it I and like you haven't found any posts on anyone ever getting rid of it.Lots of conflicting advice on what or not to eat,One post says this is good then on another its not.Is this with us for life.mike

• Posted

Has anyone who has posted on this discussion board fully recovered from LPR? I am a healthy 19 year old and for three years i would simply wake up with a sore throat, which would typically go away soon after I got up.... then, it seemed like when i graduated and my soccer career ended, my throat got much worse. ENT doctors have suggested that i have acid reflux and upon further research, it seems like it is definitely LPR. i still always wake up with a burning, raw feeling in the back of my throat/mouth, on my uvula especially. then, once i get up and clear my throat for a few minutes and drink/gargle water, the pain in the back of the throat feels somewhat relieved. but throughout the rest of the day i still typically have constant pain in my throat. this pain (mainly in my larynx area) always seems to worsen after eating and especially depends on what KIND of food i eat... so then when it gets all inflamed i just can barely even speak and im so miserable. i have been trying to keep a bland diet as much as i can for the past few months, and have felt someee relief but never full relief. i pretty much just want to know if i will be stuck living like this my whole life? because its been pretty awful. i have lost so much weight and its hard to be happy anymore. will i ever be able to return to a normal diet and be symptom free? ive also heard of surgery, could that be a possibility? and lastly, just curious too if anyones noticed exercise helping relieve their symptoms. thanks so much.

• Posted

How are you doing now man did you find answers to your question because I want it two?

• Posted

I would suggest that the healing does not start or progress if you have reflux while you sleep, especially if you are a stomach sleeper as intra abdominal pressure is a huge factor especially if you are overweight. Good luck.

• Posted

Hey I know its so late just checking how you are feeling now is the LPR gone?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.