How long does it take to recover from acute pancreatitis?

Posted , 50 users are following.

Hi I was wondering how long it takes to recover from acute pancreatitis? It started when I was at work just over 3wks ago, I got the most excusiating pain in the upper left side of my abdomen, going into my back (the exact same pain I used to encounter when I had gallstones nearly 10 years ago, but I knew it couldn't be that, as I had my gallbladder removed.) my colleague took me to the walk in centre, where I had bloods taken and given buscopan tablets and sent home. Later that night the walk in centre rang to tell me I had pancreatitis, and that I should see my GP in the morning. I went to see my GP, she was puzzled why I hadn't already been admitted to hospital, she then arranged for me to go straight on to a ward. I was kept in for 4 days, nil by mouth on a drip, on lots of painkillers and I was given a X-ray and ultrasound scan. I was discharged and was sent home to rest, they said I would need to go back as a outpatient for a MRI, a camera test and a mrcp test. I got a sick note from my GP for 2wks, so thought I'd be ok by now? I was due to return to work yesterday, but still don't feel well, so my doctor has given me another note for 2wks. I still haven't heard from the hospital re tests, I just wondered is it normal to still be in some pain, I am also very tired? I know I shouldn't worry but I am worried about returning to work, my boss and her boss are coming to my house on Friday to discuss my attendance as it is procedure, it really is making me very anxious, I just want to get better.

0 likes, 99 replies

99 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Don't dismiss Paracetamol, taken at the max dose over a number of days it can be effective. A heat/wheat bag on the area can also help.
  • Posted

I think recovery depends upon what caused pancreatitis in the first place, Mine was alcohol and last time12 years ago in severe pain, hospitalised and back on solid food in less than a week.
  • Posted

Please take the time to read all you can on proanthocyanidins. There has been some research on this chemicals healing of the pancreas.

Take note of replies on diet and lifestyle obviously no alcohol.

For pain, get your doctor to prescribe tramadol capsules, you can read up on this medication.

• Posted

hi Keith sorry I didn't reply sooner, had a very bad few days with sickness and pain. Thanks for the advice, I will definitely read up on it, "knowledge is power " as they say. Thanks x
    • Posted

Hi Keith where can you get/find proanthocyanicins?

• Posted

The easy name for this is grape seed extract.Most herbal stores have
  • Posted

Just out of curiosity, what were your enzyme counts during the attack? I just got out of the hospital yesterday. My doctors said they'd never seen numbers so high.
    • Posted

mine where 1215 in one on discharge I have it all on my papers. what level of pancreatitis I hit a level 3 going into a level 4 ie nearly snuffed it 
    • Posted

My lipase was 4400.  My CRP (inflammation) was 157. 3 is high. 
    • Posted

I don't know what mine was in hospital. that is roughly what I can remember on my discharge papers. 

to be honest level 3 I didn't realise how bad I was until I left hospital and they told me.  

I never got much information in hospital and I have found out more on groups about the long lasting effect of this and the risks.

• Posted

They couldn't tell me what caused mine. I last had a drink two weeks before it happened. No gallstones showed up in any of the 3 scans they did. I'm hoping it never happens again. Going to watch my fat intake from now on. Had already been doing low carb and sugar due to risk of type 2 diabetes. I'm so glad I found this forum. It's been very helpful.
    • Posted

mines idiopathic to. best rule of thumb is between 5 and 12 per cent fat. four small meals a day about small plate size. no cheese chocolate or alcohol.  I still get bouts of pain eg tonight some nights just four hours sleep.  

I found out that it does happen again if idiopathic I met two fellow suffers in hospital when I was moved from critical care to a different spot on the same ward. one was on round three one on his second. they told me more about this than docs. the enzymes can do other damage as I have found out to my lungs as they travel in your blood. its a proper life changing disease that not many people know much about other than people who have got it. 

• Posted

Yeah, years past I used to drink a lot. Even though that was some time ago, could that be the cause?

On the cheese and chocolate, what if it's fat free?

• Posted

ive had ct mri xray ultra sound etc and never found any gallstone.  but they still want to take my gallbladder out as a prevention.  but my gp said to many side effects. I use to drink many mokns ago but apparently that is not an issue. genetics  sphincter oidi and other factors can cause attacks. the amount of people I have spoken to about the frustration of not knowing and the lack of medical knowledge and the fact if you didn't match gallstones or alcohol then they are clueless and just try to fit you into a box because it is easier.  I have been and still fight with the hospital and gp to get answers not half baked sh*t. they will fob you off to save money.  I have even had to go to the care quality commission because they had me two minutes from going into theatre and because I kicked off it came to light I did not need the operation and the surgeon only spoke to my consultant 5 minutes before going into theatre because I was complaining.  so be aware and question everything before you go through it. 
    • Posted

I have sent you a post that has to go through a checking process lol. basically no if you are a heavy drinker up to the time of the attack then possible.  but I use to drink but not the cause. see my other post when they allow on if not I will rewrite lol

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.