How long does it take to recover from acute pancreatitis?

Posted , 50 users are following.

Hi I was wondering how long it takes to recover from acute pancreatitis? It started when I was at work just over 3wks ago, I got the most excusiating pain in the upper left side of my abdomen, going into my back (the exact same pain I used to encounter when I had gallstones nearly 10 years ago, but I knew it couldn't be that, as I had my gallbladder removed.) my colleague took me to the walk in centre, where I had bloods taken and given buscopan tablets and sent home. Later that night the walk in centre rang to tell me I had pancreatitis, and that I should see my GP in the morning. I went to see my GP, she was puzzled why I hadn't already been admitted to hospital, she then arranged for me to go straight on to a ward. I was kept in for 4 days, nil by mouth on a drip, on lots of painkillers and I was given a X-ray and ultrasound scan. I was discharged and was sent home to rest, they said I would need to go back as a outpatient for a MRI, a camera test and a mrcp test. I got a sick note from my GP for 2wks, so thought I'd be ok by now? I was due to return to work yesterday, but still don't feel well, so my doctor has given me another note for 2wks. I still haven't heard from the hospital re tests, I just wondered is it normal to still be in some pain, I am also very tired? I know I shouldn't worry but I am worried about returning to work, my boss and her boss are coming to my house on Friday to discuss my attendance as it is procedure, it really is making me very anxious, I just want to get better.

0 likes, 99 replies

99 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

My amylase was 4026

Lipase was greater than 20,000 !!!

They couldn't get the exact number because their system only went to 20000.

I did see on another post here that someone else's was that high as well. I'm sorry for her but relieved to see another with similar results.

It's been the most pain I've ever experienced in my 41 years of life.

• Posted

you will find the pains will still happen and without warning.  I am forty two and had my first attack on boxing day 2013 I was in hospital for nearly 3 weeks. I think worst thing was having the catheter removed and then weeing blood. always good advice on here and other sites as the disease is little researched so the docs think your cured after 3 weeks cause the primary care shifts to your gp and they dont want to send you to hospital or a consultant because they have to pay. so the facts never really get back to the hospital.  
    • Posted

unfortunately I don't know what my levels were, I just know they were high, as my Dr commented, saying that "I should of been admitted to hospital straight away as my levels were dangerously high", if it happens again, ( touch wood it doesn't ) I'm going to write it down! X
    • Posted

The first time last August 2015 my lipase was over  30,000

i just had another attack September 22 my lipase was 24000.  They took my gallbladder out hoping that was it even though it showed no signs of damage or gallstones.  I came home a week and went back to hospital a week later and lipase was over 2000.  Stayed in hospital a week again.  I do not drink never have.  The gallbladder wasn't the the problem.  They have tested me for the autoimmune it's a negative.  The only thing left for me is the eruption and I have had gastric bypass so it's not an easy procedure.  It's an actual cut open surgery.  Not an easy thing to do.  I am back at work but I have no strength and in constant pain.  Have t been myself in sometime now.  Afraid to eat now because I'm afraid I will throw it up or will cause more pain.  

• Posted

Hi Lesliby

How are u now? As u have no gallbladder now, do u need to take pills to help out digest the fats u may have eaten?

• Posted

I am better now but I do not eat very much. I'm not taking any medicine for digesting food but I don't eat fat or very much of anything. If I eat anything solid I pretty much through it up. I'm still drinking a lot of protein shakes, peanut butter crackers,fruit, and a few things here and there. Since my last time in the hospital I haven't had pancreatitis.

• Posted

I have an acute pancreatitis and once my gallbladder had inflamed. I can eat anything but as long as low fat but lately about 2months ago I am in like almost zero fat. I live in Australia. Doctors/surgeons suggest to take my gallbladder as it has gallstones and this is what causing the pancreas to inflamed. So I found a procedure in China that they clean out your gallbladder. They take your gallstones out, sludge and polyps. I have gallstones and sludge. I am here now in China and had a the op 3days ago. I am hoping I won't get pancreatitis attack while I am still on my recovery for my newly op gallbladder. I am hoping the doctors and surgeons in Australia are correct that my pancreastitis attack is cause by gallstones. My gallbladder was inflamed once because my inflamed pancreas triggers it. Fingers crossed I don't have eruption😶

• Posted

Hi, I had an attack in August, and I am still signed off work, so yes it is quite normal to still be sick. I like you, am new to this condition, and am only just getting my head around it all. My doctor has ordered me to rest and signed me off work for 3 months, so what is happening to you is completely normal. My doctor said that an inflamed pancreas can take a long long time to heal, and stress, and over exertion can start it off again. Be kind to yourself, it is a very serious condition, I'm sure given all the information your employer will be sympathetic? question
    • Posted

thanks jean, you have all made me feel so much better, with all your vast knowledge of this crippling condition. I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy
    • Posted

Hi we have a group o. Facebook called pancreatitis pals this site allows you to talk directly about the day to day pain. And get paid. Buddies. The only people who understand are other suffers. On the site its people. From across the sea and here in the UK allowing you to share tips and get advice from others. Everyone please join . its was set up by two of us from this site which gave us the idea.
    • Posted

Hi Robin

I found the Facebook page you spoke of and I asked to join since it's a private group and it's been several days and still no word, is there an administrator I could contact to get accepted?

• Posted

I have never recovered since 3 years ago and now I am worried I have pancreatic cancer I paid for an Mir earlier this year then had a ultrasound all came back clear, but I feel rotten every day and mostly all day.....
    • Posted

I know that feeling.  what level did you reachbin hospital.  I Was level 3 pushing a 4?

this all seems to have a  baring on recovery and to what extent. 

• Posted

I paid for an Mri in march then had ultrasound in April nothing came back now I feel so I'll most days.. I am taking tram ado only low dose but I just wish I could eat again
    • Posted

Oh no, you must be worried sick!! Have you spoken to your GP or consultant about this, you really need to put your mind at rest? Is there a blood test you could get? I have found this forum amazing, reading everybody's experiences and views had helped me no end, why not ask on here, I'm sure you will get a massive response as everyone's so helpful. Good luck, I'm so sorry I'm not able to offer you anymore advice. Xxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.