How long does Terbinafine take to work

Posted , 38 users are following.

Hi everybody, I've been taking Terbinafine now for three weeks (eight week course) for a skin infection but i am yet to see any improvement. Is this normal only i expected to see some signs by now. Just wondering if i should visit the docs again. No side effects for me fortunately after what i've been reading on the group. 

1 like, 56 replies

56 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

3 weeks is when you should start seeing the change at longest, if not then you may need to consider an alternative.

• Posted

Hi,

I am taking Terbinafine pills every other month for 6 month treatment (so 3 in total of Terbinafine) because of a nail fungus. I had no side effects.

I am on the last month of Terbinafine (started treatment 5months ago) and I dont see that my nail is getting better.

At the same time Im using Amorilfina topic solution.

Already booked an appointment with my doctor because Im starting being anxious and nervous with this. 😦

Does anyone relates with my situation?

• Posted

For those w questions about terbinafine oral therapy and related side effects such as loss of taste and especially anxiety /depression, ask your provider about using a schedule whereby you take "regular" daily dosing for 7 to 10 days and then thereafter taking an oral tablet once or twice WEEKLY.The reason this type of regimen is possible ( though you may have to take the medication longer than the already long regimens) is because terbinafine has an EXTREMELY LONG half-life in the body ( generally, half-life is a gauge of how long a drug or molecule persists in a particular form in the body ) . Because of this extremely long half life, a week's worth of dosing can therapeutically act for much longer than a week. Therefore a week or so of therapy followed by occasional doses will most likely keep the level of terbinafine high enough in the body to treat the fungal infection but will help prevent a lot of the noted side effects of terbinafine (which, imo, as a HCP w experience in these areas, are caused by the extremely long half-life of terbinafine, ie terbinafine levels build up in the body too much which leads to greater risk for side effects). You may have to take terbinafine longer than the already long recommended treatment periods but at least you will make it through the treatment without going bonkers.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.