How long does Terbinafine take to work

Posted , 38 users are following.

Hi everybody, I've been taking Terbinafine now for three weeks (eight week course) for a skin infection but i am yet to see any improvement. Is this normal only i expected to see some signs by now. Just wondering if i should visit the docs again. No side effects for me fortunately after what i've been reading on the group. 

1 like, 56 replies

56 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I have only taken 6 pills out of 14 and I have more spots, but my dermatologist back in June 2017 wasn't sure if it was ringworm.  She put me on ketoconazole cream which would clear one spot up and then another spot would slowly appear. I didn't go back to see her, but refilled the prescription. Then I went to see my primary and showed her the spots (only two of them) and she wasn't sure it was ringworm either and prescribed 2 more refills of ketoconazole cream. I decided I was tired of putting cream on since June of last year and called and asked for terbinafine oral. Now I have 10 or more spots, what the heck? I see my primary again Jan 23, 2018 and maybe they will do a scape and make sure this is ringworm and go from there. I'll let you all know next week.

• Posted

Hi, I have had a fungal infection on my big toe since 2015 which is so gross and sore! I’ve been using terbafine for 8 weeks (!!!!) now, and see NO difference in my nail. Haven’t had any of the side effects except super dry, itchy skin that I’ve never had before. Still carrying on with the faint hope it’ll clear it before summer. I want to wear flip flops on my holidays! 😂

• Posted

Hi Gemma, I come off it as it made me feel so ill. Here is what I do now: Remove nail polish, soak my feet in hot water with a load of epsom salts to clean and soothe. Then, I file and buff ridges of nail to make as smooth and thin as possible then I rub a load of red tiger balm all over nail as as much under it as I can. Leave to soak in for 1 few minutes, then reapply nail varnish. This is definitely helping as my nails look a LOT better. I only do this twice a week but do rub in tiger balm most nights. Hope this helps.
  • Posted

Hi there. I have been on terbinafine for 3 weeks now for ringworm (the dr thinks). The first four days it made it worse. Then slowly cleared up. Now on 3 weeks it is starting to come back and so itchy. I have another week or so left of the pills. Has anyone had this before? The itching is going to make me loose my mind! 
    • Posted

I've been taking griseofulvin for 25 days(5 pills left) after two weeks or so my the skin on my foot started peeling off but but now i notice it looks like the ringworm has come back. I thought if left because of all the skin that came off. It's still itchy but not as bad as it was before i started and its still secreting clear pus. Did yours go away after you finished your medicine?

• Posted

I had this type of ringworm rash forever and the doctor prescribe anti-fungals and terbinafine. I went to a dermatologist who did a biopsy and it wasn't a fungal rash. But, the fungal meds were feeding it, she put me on a high strength cortisone cream in a jar and mine cleared up in 3 days after dealing with it for months.

• Posted

Im planning on going to the derm if this isnt resolved by the end of the subscription. It's very annoying.

• Posted

I took it for a couple of weeks but it made me ill so I came off it. I then used tiger balm every day for a few weeks and it has all gone. Having pedicures now and feel so relieved that it has all gone. Good luck with terbinafine!

• Posted

Hello all. Ive been taking 250 dose for 12 weeks. Im on my last dose. All is well without any side effects. Toe nails starting to look pink again

• Posted

did you ever find a solution? did others treat their groin itch or ringworm?

im on day 25 of oral terbinafine along with econazole cream and see little improvement for groin itch.

follow up appointment with the dermatologist will be in 5 days. I will probably request a biopsy to verify its fungus

• Edited

I know this is a long shot because all y'alls messages are from long ago but....I am now taking the terbinafine 250mg. for ringworm. The doctor only put me on a 14 day script at once a day. I'm only on like day 6 but...to me it looks like they are actually getting bigger. Anyone else experience that and how long did it take to start showing signs of improvement?

• Posted

I have this recurring Rashes that has gradually spread all over my back and bicep region, I was using a combination of Clotrimazole, Dexamethasone, Gentamycin, within 8 days it all cleared, after a while it resurfaced, now I have been on Terbinafin tabs and cream for 3 weeks, All i can say it that its got worse, it now scratches seriously unlike before. I believe Terbinafins overrated, its ineffective and should be forgotten about, nothing is more annoying than its high cost

• Posted

Hi,

I don't know what your skin infection is. I had a recurrence of toenail fungus at the beginning of Covid. My dermatologist office closed. I was able to get a small sample of Jublia which ran out quickly. I decided to try 100% tea tree oil with a urea based cream that softens nails. My dr. had recommend another product but I could not find it. I am pleased with progress just using tea tree oil. When in New Zealand I was on a tour that the tea tree Manuka was known for curing toenail fungus. It sure has helped.

Having lost my taste with Terbinafine I feel so sorry for psot-Covid patients who have lost their smell and taste.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.