How long does Terbinafine take to work

Posted , 38 users are following.

Hi everybody, I've been taking Terbinafine now for three weeks (eight week course) for a skin infection but i am yet to see any improvement. Is this normal only i expected to see some signs by now. Just wondering if i should visit the docs again. No side effects for me fortunately after what i've been reading on the group. 

1 like, 56 replies

56 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I had fungus in both groins for several months; just trying to control it with the various creams with no luck. Finally got the Dr. to give me 250 mg Lamisil tablets for 14 days, once a day. After 14 days not quite clear so started another 14 days. That took care of it. Also, I never had any side affects like loss of taste. I am doing most of the suggestions by cae.ly to prevent a relapse of the fungal infection. Been clear for about a month or more now.

• Posted

Hi Rob,

glad to know that you recovered with the oral meds. Did you also use a topical cream while taking terbinafine?

• Posted

I took it for 4 weeks for a finger nail fungus & it didn't do a thing except make me loose my taste.  I have been off of Terbinafine for 6 weeks & just beginning to get my taste back.  I can taste salty things but not sweet yet sad and still have the fungus.  Going to a dermatologist now for other treatment...

• Posted

Hi i have been taking terbinafine 250mg for 6 days now i have ringworm on my neck and along my jaw bone it got really lumpy any1 else have same issue..... lumps starting to go down now redness gettin better but stomach is in bits sore bloted and sick. Really sore at times
  • Posted

Hi everyone.  I have been taking this drug now for 45 days.  It is working on my toenail fungus but I am having diarrhea EVERY SINGLE DAY.   And a horrible dull ache in my stomach.  Is anyone else experiencing this?  What do you do?   I take my pill in the morning.  Should I take it in the evening ?  Help please !
    • Posted

Hi Natalie .ive just come across your post and wondered what happened.i have been taking terbinafine (oral)for toe nail fungus -1 with nail loss and about 4 with fungus too.i have been taking for 60 days then developed awful diarrhoea and cramping that has gone on for 2 wks.i initially thought it was a stomach bug but read your post as these similar side effects started around same time.ive stopped it for 3 days but still have diarrhoea/cramps after mostly all I eat but I want my nails to be cured.fid you stop taking it?thanks 
    • Posted

Hello, Kiki.  I am so sorry you are going through this.  I had to quit that medication after 45 days.  I gave up!  It was interfering with my daily life and I felt so sick with diarrhea and cramps and nausea and gas all the time.  It was really awful for me.  It DID work on my toenail fungus and it seems like the fungus has quieted down since then.  It took about 2 weeks for my stomach to feel back to "normal."  What a crazy drug!  I have never had such awful side effects from any other medication!

• Posted

Hi Natalie!thanks so much.i have stopped taking it 3 days now as i was feeling so awful but I still have the diarrhoea/sickness/cramps.i thought I was Ok after taking it for 2 months but it seems these side effects can come on well into taking it..I have read how people put up with the side effects but I can’t.so you answered my other question about how long it took to return to normal -I am hoping it’s helped my toe nails as I can see a nail coming through but I can’t cope with these side effects and I’m hoping I will return to normal very soon!defnitely agree crazy drug!!!
    • Posted

Hi Natalie, I am on day 5 now and have an upset stomach for 3 days now so maybe that is one of the side effects/ Hope I don't lose my sense of taste and that this does work.

• Posted

Wow, I hontly don;t know if I can put up with the nausea and upset stomach for 2 months! I amso have a headache the past 3 days too Not good sad
    • Posted

Hi, I was reading this post and wanted to share my recent experience with toenail fungus.

I’ve had toenail fungus for many years and in the past 8 months have hurt  my feet to the point where’s I had to try something different.  I used lamisil cream for 4 months and I barely noticed a change.  

Finally I got fed up and wanted to try lamisil pills with the cream.

I was prescribed a 2 week dose and noticed taste,  stool and upset stomach.

I did complete my meds entirely and no change right away.

But some 4 weeks later, my toenails had developed a void or space under the thick nails on all my toes.

Soaking them in hot water with epsom salt daily softened them up to the point where I took the clippers and cut them all off.  I had little or no nails left. The thick skin under the nails reduced dramatically and now I am growing clean thin nails back.

I cannot remember the last time I had toenails looking this good.  No hot or discomforting toes in a while.

I still soak my feet daily and apply the cream.  I’m hoping this is the beginning of the end for toenail fungus.

I pray this does not but come back.

I have developed dry skin over the winter though.  Steroid cream and Vaseline daily to treat eczema is slowly working but I have decent toenails.

It’s a start.  I hope you are finding improvements too.

Good luck.

Lou

• Posted

I have ringworm all over face, arms, back, stomach, breast, and hands I have been taling Terbinafine pills for about 5 days along with doing prescription cream and other home remedies prior to starting the pill. Does anyone know if the pill bring out more ringworm? I have noticed more surfacing since I started the pill. Ichange bedding daily, only use towel and wash cloth once, as well as clothing. Help this is a nightmare.
    • Posted

I have only taken 6 pills out of 14 and I have more spots, but my dermatologist back in June 2017 wasn't sure if it was ringworm.  She put me on ketoconazole cream which would clear one spot up and then another spot would slowly appear. I didn't go back to see her, but refilled the prescription. Then I went to see my primary and showed her the spots (only two of them) and she wasn't sure it was ringworm either and prescribed 2 more refills of ketoconazole cream. I decided I was tired of putting cream on since June of last year and called and asked for terbinafine oral. Now I have 10 or more spots, what the heck? I see my primary again Jan 23, 2018 and maybe they will do a scape and make sure this is ringworm and go from there. I'll let you all know next week.

• Posted

I can understand your frustration when you dont really know if you have ringworm. I pray that you do not this is a nightmare. I have used white vinegar on the ringworms for a couple days and I have noticed that it is drying them up. I soak my hands in the white vinegar for 10 minutes, dry them with paper towel then apply cream. I am upset because there is nothing I can do to speed up the healing process and there is no guarantee of a timeframe.
    • Posted

Hope this finds your rash better; me not so much. I went and got one of the spots scraped today and thought they would just scrape it some. Well, they numbed the area with an injection and then took a razor and went down into my skin, ouch. The wound area should heal in 3 to 4 days and I'm only to put vaseline and a bandaid on it. Results should be back 7 to 10 days. So now I have more spots, a wound, and constant internal itching all over ( but if I eat the hydroxyzine pamoate like candy it helps)

Oh yes I tried the vinegar too. I was using Apple cider vinegar and it helped some, but the spots came back. My individual spots never have itched, which is great-- its this internal itching, ugh.

I wish you relief, soon.

• Posted

Hi there i have the same problem of ringworm and am on day 21 with terbinifine, my doctor told me to take it for 6 months has it is a very difficult fangal to heal so let’s get intouch through email if you don’t mind.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.