How long does the body take to recover from vitamin D deficiency after supplied?

Posted , 9 users are following.

I have a doubt about vitamin D suplemmentation which is:

I was 13ng and my doctor is aiming to 50ng, my question is what should I expect when I get to 50ng.

1 - When my body hit 50ng in the blood should I feel healed? Should I be okay? My body will already have done everything he should with the new amount of vitamin D(50ng.)?

2 - Or my body will start to work the things that are messed(because of the missing vitami)n only in the precising day it hit 50ng or at least a decent amount?

I know each body each body, but, what should I expect? Number 1 or number 2?

1 like, 46 replies

46 Replies

Prev
  • Edited

All recoveries in biological systems tend to be slow - patience is always required. It also varies from one person to another: some people have no symptoms of low vit D, my husband had nothing identifiable with a level in single figures. He doesn't notice a difference even with it at a decent level. Others find that once the level rises, even if it isn't yet ideal, their aches and pains improve.

You only measure what is in the blood - and vit D therapy has to fill up a black hole below the surface where the muscles and organs that store vit D are depleted. You can't tell how big that hole is. Most people need a couple of months at 50,000 IU vit D per week - but some need more or less and the only way to tell is to check blood vit D every few months until it stays stable even on a lower dose. But there is evidence that 4 months at 25,000 IU per week may work better than 2 months at 50,000 IU per week, 25,000 IU per week is probably safe enough long term unless you have an underlying medical problem such as sarcoidosis - 50,000 IU per week shouldn't be for an unlimited time without checking the blood levels. And vit D will be highest in autumn, lowest in spring - so a low result in autumn will be even lower in spring without an adequate supplement.

• Posted

Thank you EileenH.

You're right, its a huge black hole in the body, we can't really measure our full recovery only by the blood tests, as you said, it requires patience.. All I know is that I had some high dose shots, when I come back to my doctor than I'll have my blood checked again and will ask him exactly how many ui I had in each shot, all I can tell is that it was really high doses.. And I'm going out in the sun more times now, its summer in my country and taking advantage on that..

• Posted

EileenH, I want to wish you, our husband and all the forum a VERY HAPPY NEW YEAR!

I will not be on the forum much back working as ski instructor. I wish I could sent you a link to the local newspaper. I skied as Santa the day before Christmas with the little children. The paper did a nice article. Stay well!

⛷⛷🎅

• Posted

Wish you all the joy in your career as ski instructor and all the best to your students. God Bless you.

• Posted

I was watching the article on TV here about the Santa skiing day in Maine - and thought of you.

Have a great ski season - Hals und Beinbruch!!! See you in the spring ...

• Posted

Thanks EileenH, I have the article soft, I will ask my daughter how to post it. ⛷⛷🎅

• Posted

Thats great ! The sun is the best source of vitamin D which is also very helpful for brain chemicals serotonin and melatonin . Its snowing here today or i would be out too . Sitting in the sun 20 to 30 minutes your body can produce 10,000 iu rays of vitamin D !

. The laying source of anxiety , panic , stomach issues , heart palpitations , plus so many more element s can be from a deficiency !

• Posted

You still have my email don't you? Just in case they decide Skiing Santas with PMR aren't allowed 😉

• Posted

Only if you are close enough to the equator in the winter - about Boston in the US, Turin in Europe. The sun has to strike the skin at the right angle to switch the process on!

• Posted

Yes, Thanks God for the sun hehe, I can't barely wait to fully recover, mental and physical, after that I will never ever allow myself to not take care of my health, will always do my cardio exercises, get enough sun, enough vitamins and minerals in food, enough and proper sleep.. The list goes on.. I wanted to know how much the vitamin D are related to our gut, the gut produces 90% of our serotonin, I think this can be vital for our mental health..

• Posted

It should take a few weeks. More than a month is a big concern. Time of recovery varies between people.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.