How long does urgency and frequency side effect last with celexa?

Posted , 8 users are following.

Going nuts, how long before it goes away? On 10 mgs now for 2 wks

0 likes, 38 replies

38 Replies

Next
  • Posted

2 weeks is not enough time to let the ssri work in your system,you need to give it 6/8 weeks 
    • Posted

Can't stand peeing every 30 mins. Was using oxytrol patches to control, but even they aren't working any more. I need to try a different one. One without that side effect. Any suggestions? What is everyone else on?

• Posted

Nancy, 

It lasted with me for about a month. I cut down on liquids after 6:00pm which helped me. 

• Posted

How often did you pee? With oxytrol patches I go every 1 and a half hrs. Without every thirty mins. How did you keep your sanity?
    • Posted

I know I was losing my sanity. I just cut down on water snd it helped. It lasted about 1 month but it got better and better. Hang in there Nancy! 

Will😎

• Posted

If I don’t drink enough water I found my urine is really really strong is it the same for you will ?
    • Posted

I've read most people say about a month, some say months. Most say a month. I'm praying everyday its only a month. Don't know how much longer I can take this. What does your doc say?

• Posted

Yes it was for a good month. I’m back to normal now. 
    • Posted

My doc says it’s all related to anxiety. He feels it’s not the citalopram but he also feels I shouldn’t have had all the side effects I had. Doctors don’t know everything. I’m just glad he gave me this drug cause it’s really helped me. Just hang in there and reduce your water intake a couple hours before bedtime.

Keep me posted how you do.

Will😎 

• Posted

I was on celexa for 9 yrs. Went off, going through hell right now, in my 3rd week. Does your doc say it will go away? How long before you felt better? Wish I'd never stopped. Girlfriend tells me I have to forgive myself and move forward. Thanks for your help. Gives me encouragement.

• Posted

Did you go through crying and irritability and teeth grinding etc? Just wondering. I go through all kinds of emotions, depression. How about you?
    • Posted

OMG yes I did with crying and irritability and YES YES TEETH GRINDING!!  I just had a nightmare with my first root canal still in the process of it. What mg were you on? 

And I hope you are leveling off slowly?

Why did you decide to come off? 

Will😎

• Posted

Ok just put 2 and 2 together. How long were you off of it? 

Maybe go to 5 mg for a few days. My dr had me to that after I was on it for 10 days. For a week and back to 10. It helped me. Check with your Doc. 

But why did you come off after 9 years? 

• Posted

I also  read posts that people who were once on it have a little longer period to adjust. Omg it took me a good 3-4 months to adjust and it is my first anxiety med. I’m never coming off. This forum has helped me incredibly! Such great people are in this world. 
    • Posted

Thought I wanted to be drug free. Well, look at me now. I guess we live and learn. I'm never going off again. How long before you started to feel better? All I want to do is cry. I pray a lot, and read my bible. Don't know if your spiritual or what your beliefs are. It doesn't matter. Thanks for being my friend and supporting me through this. Makes a big difference. I keep finding feathers on my daily walks. I like to think its from heaven telling me it's all going to be okay. I was on 10 mg, staying at 10 right now. Want to be real level before going up, if I do. Felt pretty good at 10. Doc is giving me lorazapam to help, my anxiety was off the charts. Sorry you had to go through a root canal. Must have been horrible. Wishing you the best.

• Posted

Should never have come off it. Was only off for a few months, all hell broke loose. Had no choice but to go back on. Hoping it only takes a couple of months to get adjusted. God willing. Thanks again for being my friend
    • Posted

Nancy, 

When you go for a walk. Wear headphones with your favorite music. I do that and I get lost in the music and it helps me a lot. I also eat a good breakfast with my pill and it helped with the anxiety. No caffeine! 

Good luck keep me posted with your success!👍🏼🙏🏻😇 yes I love the feathers you found and I believe in that. I do pray each and every Day and thank God for my blessed life! I do understand that you wanted to go drug free. I’m the same but not with this drug and what I’ve witnessed with people coming off and then going back on. I’m ok with it. I just remember the horrific times I had before I found this dr that prescribed this drug. Keep smiling! 🌾 these are 3 feathers for you! 

Will😎

• Posted

Just so I have something to go by, how often did you pee and when did it start to go away, or did you notice it was further and further away? I'm using oxytrol patches which help to keep it to every 2 hrs. Don't know if I'm messing up by using them, but it helps with my sanity. Just wondering

• Posted

What scares me the most is if this peeing thing doesn't go away, the doc may have to change my med and that terrifies me. I'm so sensitive, I have no idea what he would go to, would it have the same side effect or something worse. Just praying it goes away, please pray for me. Thank you

• Posted

Nancy if for some strange reason your doc. Switches med try Lexapro which is a cleaner version of the celexa..just a thought.. praying for you .
    • Posted

Thank you Lois, I'm scared to death to try another med. I've looked them up and they all cause frequent urination as a side effect. I am so sensitive to everything. They tried putting me on oxybutinin but it caused anxiety. I'm using oxytrol patches, but they only help a little. I feel like I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place. Thank you for suggestion, I don't see my doc until the 21st. Thank you for praying for me. I also have a urinary problem anyway, like adding salt to a wound. Hopefully my doc can figure this out. Thank you

• Posted

I’m being very positive it will subside as mine did. Did you have that problem when you were on it for those 9 years. I don’t think so. So I’m saying a prayer for you tonite.🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻.  I hope you went for a walk today. Try to get some sleep. We will talk tomorrow. You are still under 3 weeks on it. 

Will😇

• Posted

Thank you, it's so very hard. I am going to stay positive and I am praying all day everyday. I slept better last night. I appreciate your friendship and your prayers. And no, I didn't have it while on it for 9 yrs. My anxiety is what fuels my fears. Having interstitial cystitis also fuels the fears. I've fought for 5 mos on my own, No doctors, to get rid of the IC. Had everything under control. Started celexa and everything went haywire. I've lost 30 lbs through this process. So afraid IC will come back. Very painful. I will hold on to your positivity and God. Thank you for your support and prayers. And yes, I walk every morning after I take my meds. Maybe ill find another feather this morn.

• Posted

You know Nancy when I first started taking cit.i had to stop taking my hrt pill because the celexa made me have weird anxiety from the combination ..I was taking my hrt for my hot flashes..so I thought I was going to live with the hot flashes forever..but on the good side the cit.took away my hot flashes so that was a plus ..I would of traded the hot flashes for the cit..but in the end I luck out..so yes this cit.can interfere with alot of the meds that we take. that the doctor's haven't got a clue about interactions..

• Posted

You know Nancy when I first started taking cit.i had to stop taking my hrt pill because the celexa made me have weird anxiety from the combination ..I was taking my hrt for my hot flashes..so I thought I was going to live with the hot flashes forever..but on the good side the cit.took away my hot flashes so that was a plus ..I would of traded the hot flashes for the cit..but in the end I luck out..so yes this cit.can interfere with alot of the meds that we take. that the doctor's haven't got a clue about interactions..

• Posted

I appreciate all your comments, they all give me hope and courage. Trying to hang in. Praying and hoping the 4th wk will be the charm. I know it's different for everyone. Bless you all

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.