How long to the side effects last after stopping Amlodipine

Posted , 30 users are following.

Please can anyone tell me how long do the side effects of Amlodipine last after stopping them. I stopped them 8 days ago and each day until three days ago I felt a bit better but the last couple of days I have been feeling bad again, not as bad as before but still bad.

I keep getting a feeling of dread like I am going to die or something terrible is going to happen it's awful.

Other side effects I have but are reducing are headaches, pain in my head, like a tight band round my head, palpitations, feeling sick, spaced out and feeling like I am not here, can't think straight, fuzzy eyes and loads more.

If someone could help me it would be great.

Pat 

0 likes, 39 replies

39 Replies

Next
  • Edited

Hi Pat

I felt better in myself within a few days of stopping Amlodipine but the worse side effect (swelling and rash on lower legs) took a few weeks to improve.

Have you taken your blood pressure to see how that is responding to the few days off Amlodipine?

Those are horrid side effects that you have listed but as long as they are reducing then it sounds as though you are going in the right direction.  However, we are not medics on here and, if these side effects don't disappear in the next couple of days, if it was me I would get it all checked out with your GP to rule out anything else going on.

• Posted

Hey Mrs.O...YOu stated something about a rash on lower legs while you were on Amlodipine. Did this "rash" burn at all??
    • Posted

Mike, no, the rash didn't "burn" as such.  It was red and blotchy and just felt really uncomfortably tight and stiff all around the area from the swelling, especially when going down the stairs.  GP eventually diagnosed it as varicose eczema, and the skin in the area faded to a light tan colour nd the swelling disappeared soon after stopping the Amlodipine.
  • Posted

Hi Pat

I was interested in your email because I'm thinking of coming off amlodipine and because I'm experiencing such similar symptoms as you ie'headaches, pain in my head, like a tight band round my head, palpitations, feeling sick, spaced out and feeling like I am not here, can't think straight, fuzzy eyes and loads more'.

For myself, I've been wondering if these are just general anxiety symptoms and nothing to do with the drug - am I generally anxious about taking the drug and therefore attributing these symptoms to it? I often felt a bit like this before I went on the drug. We've had lots of people on this forum who say that they have felt instantly better after stopping the drug but it seems like the side effects build up with time so I'm sure that they can't disappear instantly.

The good thing about the drug is that it stops me worrying about my blood pressure and it is certainly better for me than Ramipril which was absolutely dreadful. I'd love it if the symptoms we are getting are side effects of the

drug because then I would feel better for stopping it - but I'm not sure. Any one else got any views?

• Posted

Hi! These are common symptoms, along with many more. I myself have experienced these, including the anxiety(i deal with it even when not on this medication). I've been on half the dose that my doctor prescribed me bc I'm weaning off it, while also taking beet root capsules and Hawthorne berries capsules as well. my bp has only went back up just a few times in a month. I'm still having the side effects but not quite as severe.

• Edited

Hi Pat,  I quit taking Amlodipine 5 days ago.  Today I'm dizzy, nauseous, faint, fearful, and detached.  I have a headache right now.  I've been taking it for years, but thought because it was a low dose (5mg) I could just stop without problems.  I was wrong.  I'm learning, for me at least, that all drugs have both side-effects AND withdrawal effects if one ever dares to stop taking them.  My doctors seem at a loss to comprehend why anyone would have a problem taking these "wonderful" meds they dispense like candy....no, I take that back...they are MORE conscientious about candy!
    • Edited

Michael, with regard to stopping Amlodipine, I stopped it in one go after being on it for several months.  I'm not sure whether after taking it for so many years in your case whether it would have been preferable to taper slowly.  I did get poorly after stopping another BP pill (the beta blocker, Atenolol) after being on it for 3 years, and an excellent and trusted pharmacist told me later that I should not have just stopped it.  She said I should have tapered off it over 3 weeks - a week for each year I had been on it.  Hope you feel better soon.
    • Edited

Hi MrsO...A pharmacist told me a person should NEVER suddenly stop taking Atenolol. It's a beta blocker, & suddenly stopping can/could cause heart palpitations. A patient truly should WEAN themselves off. 

As for the Amlodipine, my very trusted pharmacist told me that weaning off Amlodipine is not necessary. 

I'm seeing my family doctor this afternoon, & this is very likely when I'll be taken off the Amlodipine. The toes, & leg burning has me at wit's end now, & is progressing. I'm fearful that I may have Ethrymalalgia, but I don't want to jump to conclusions. Perhaps the Amlodipine is the cause of the Ethrymalalgia, & maybe coming off the Amlodipine may arrest the EM. Please wish me luck!

By the way, when I saw the Nurse Practitioner last week, she said she consulted with the Dr.& he still believes the burning is caused by the Amlodipine because of my sensitivity to it a year ago.I reminded her that coming off would very likely raise the bp again, but she said the doctor told her he'd give me something else. Just what that might be is a mystery 'til I see him later today. I'm nervous, yes, but can't be anxious when I go to the office. 

• Posted

Mike, unbelievably it was a cardiologist that wrote in a letter to my GP that I could just switch straight from the beta blocker to an Ace Inhibitor in one go as the beta blocker was a low dose. That was some years ago, and I have since learned to just put my faith in a really good pharmacist as far as medications are concerned!

I certainly didn't wean off Amlodipine as I'd only been taking it for around 6 months, and I didn't have any withdrawal effects.  Just the opposite - all the side effects resolved!

Now what has put the idea of Ethrymalalgia into your mind?  It's more likely that you are experiencing a side effect of Amlodipine, especially if when you read the experiences of Amlodipine from some of our friends on this forum.  If the symptoms arrived shortly after starting Amlodipine then perhaps the medication is adversely affecting your blood vessels.  That is exactly what happened to me except that the continuous inflamed and swollen feet/ankles and lower legs led to varicose eczema.  Each of us can be susceptible in different ways.

Fingers crossed that your appointment goes well today.  Losartan Potassium seems to be the best for avoiding side effects but for me not successful enough in lowering my BP.  

• Posted

Hi again, MrsO. I saw the Dr. this afternoon, & we had quite a discussion.

He has suggested I stop taking the Amlodipine, then see how I feel..for about 2 weeks. IF my b/p goes up (because of stopping Amlodipine), then I'm to take the new meds he has prescribed. If my b/p is down & I still feel ok, then I don't do anything (not take the new meds), but of couse stay off Amlodipine. He also said we'd have to see how it goes all in all. I just MAY have to go back on the Amlodipine, but we'll see. 

As for the Ethrymalalgia..the reason I mentioned that in my posting t his morning is because I have the classic symptoms..how/when the flares start, what I do to get relief, etc,,,HOWEVER I do NOT have the classic swelling or pain My skin doesn't always flush, but sometimes it does.. Yes, you're probably thinking I still may have the reaction to the Amlodipine, but the upcoming days ahead may be a good indication.

I'd appreciate your thoughts. Thanks in advance!!

• Posted

Mike, it sounds as though your appointment went well.  What are the new meds that he prescribed in case of need?  Now very much a case of 'watch and wait'.  Good luck! 
    • Posted

Yes, MrsO..the appointment went very well. The new meds are 1Mg Apo-Doxazosin which is an Alpha Blocker to be taken 1x/day. They come in 1, 2 & 3 mgs..so in my mind, if the 1mg doesn't work well...perhaps we could go up to the 2mgs, then 3mgs if necessary. It's a waiting game for sure, but I haven't filled that prescription as yet, because I feel there's no point unless the bp does indeed go up. The doctor's instructions were to stop the Amlodipine (starting this morning, which I've already done)..let's see how it goes for about 2 weeks. If the bp doesn't go up & I feel ok, then do nothing...but if the bp does go up, then I start the new medication. Good plan, I'd say. Wha'ts your opinion.?? By the way, I've forgotten how to private message you if the need be.
    • Posted

P.S...the doctor said also, that if we don't have much luck with this plan, I just may have to go back on the Amlodipine, but I must think positively...one step at a time.
    • Posted

Mike, that's interesting - when the kidney consultant stopped the diuretic he'd added to the Losartan 3 weeks earlier due to it causing several erroneous blood test results, he hinted at Doxazosin as the next med to try.  However, when I went back for my next appointment he didn't mention it and instead decided to leave me on just the Losartan until my next appointment, hoping that the GP gym referral would tackle my blood pressure instead.

The Stroke Association describe Doxazosin as being particularly useful for people with diabetes, heart failure and kidney damage.  In caseyou find you have to start it and your GP hasn't mentioned it, the Stroke Association recommend that the first dose should be taken at bedtime, because of the risk that the drug can cause a rapid drop in blood pressure.

Fingers crossed, your blood pressure will remain normal off the Amlodipine.

To send private messages, you click on the name of the person you wish to message the same as if you were replying to their post, and you will see a little envelope appear in the empty reply box just under the the stars on the left hand side.  Just click on that and you're away! 

• Posted

Hi Mike.

I see that you were online answering this question here eight days ago. I'm glad to see that as this original question was over a year ago and I have a question for you. I'm wondering if you can share how you did after you stop the amlodipine? Did the side effects you were experiencing go away after time, and if so how much time? Also did your blood pressure go up, or were you able to remain at an even keel?

I started researching the Side effects of amlodipine (from users not just what's on the pamphlet you get from the pharmacy, which I always read) as I've been on it for four weeks and am starting to have some serious side effects.From my understanding that's typically about the time with side effects start to show up. Here is a list of what I'm experiencing:

Extreme fatigue

Muscle cramps

Sore skin that burns to the touch

Horrible hot flashes

Chills

Nervous anxiety (I do actually have anxiety)

Nausea and loss of appetite

Tight band feeling around head

Mild headache

The frustrating part about this is a lot of those symptoms come along with anxiety ...but I had my anxiety pretty much under control. Now I feel as if I'm starting to be out of control again with the symptoms and wondering if you think it's the amlodipine?

Any help you can give would be appreciated. I have stop taking the med for now as I'm waiting to hear back from my doctor. My pharmacist also told me it was safe to just stop taking it, but to check my blood pressure twice a day. Thanks you.

• Posted

Hi BrandyinPA...My main complaint against the Amlodipine was the skin burning sensation in my legs..it was very much like the feeling of a sunburn. My toes would turn reddish, as would the bottoms of my feet, but the legs didn't change colour. After coming off the Amlodipine, the sensations continued. Long story short...there's something going on in my spine...I've got some narrowing of neural openings near the base of my spine..& it's bi-lateral. Although the MRI didn't actually say the nerves are pinched, the Neurologist said it likely is..but of course when dealing with the spine,  one has to be very careful. So, I'm currently in the midst of Chiropractic treatment, which is helping a lot.

As for the Amlodipine thing...it really didn't help much in lowering my bp..but I've known others who have no problems with it. While you may think your symptoms could be linked to the anxiety, I would strongly suggest you get back to your Dr...& you should NEVER-EVER stop bp medications withour your Dr's supervision. You could experience rebound hypertension. 

• Posted

Thanks Mike. I have a call into my Doctor Who hasn't called me back yet. When he put me on the amlodipine my pressure was only 159/78. Borderline high. Since I started taking the meds I've been checking it and it's only a little lower. I stopped the meds two days ago and my pressure today is 140/67. The pharmacist said to keep an eye on it so I am.

• Posted

BrandyinPA...To be sure your monitor is accurate, take it with you when you see the Dr. Having proper calibration goes a long way to accurate readings. 

Be sure to take your readings at appropriate times, NOT when you're feeling stressed or anxious, or within 30 min of a bath, shower, meal, drinking coffee, alcohol or smoking. Try to take readings at the same time every day. Don't just take 1 reading...take say 3, about 1-2 min. apart, then average them. 

• Posted

Hi BrandyinPA 

my mother was perscribed these and took them for 2 weeks as well as other blood pressure medicine , she had terrible side effects , she was like a zombie and couldnt consentrate on anything , she has stopped taking them and is still having the side effects after 1 week of not taking them , they are awful , she is still taking her other tablets as they are ok with no side effeects 

• Posted

I know exactly what you are saying about the anxiety part.

my doctor of 20+ Years told me that it's not the amploidine but it's my anxieties that were causing my shortness of breath. Funny part was when I took a seven day hiatus the breathing issues stopped. It was the medicine that was causing it not my anxieties that he sternly pointed out to me. 

Boy it seems that our health care professionals are all knowing and should not be challenged? Their egos are way to big sometimes. Hang in there and rely on your gut instincts. Best wishes and good luck.

• Posted

Hello Mike I am new to this forum. I was reading the conversations and I was recenty put on Amlodipine by my new dr a few days ago. The side effects were horrible and the reason my pressure went up jn the first place was because of something terrible that I witnessed. It just so happened that my appt with my dr was the next day and I got an update on the person's situation which was devastating while I was at the dr's office. My pressure was 141/100 so they gave me a pill. Then she placed me on amlodipine. I honestly do not think I needed to be on medication. I went to the cardiologist on 6/1/17 and I did not take the medication that day as I wanted to see how my BP was as I had the stress test. I was told my stress test was good and I told him how the meds made me feel and he told me to stay off of them until the next time I see him which will be next week. God willing. On the pills I had chest pain, terrible pain at the top if my head, headaches, lower back aches you name it. I have not taken in for 3 days now and I am still feelig side effects but I do feel alot better than when I was taking amlodipine. The only think is my heart rate is still fast but my BP has been ok. I changed my diet and have been exercising. I just been feeling those imminent doom feelings and I know my anxiety has alot to do with my pressure being high as I have bad anxiety. I do apologize for the book I just wrote, but I was only on the amlodipine for a few days and stopped it. I was on 5mg and my dr upped it to 10mg which I thought she was nuts as the day I took the 10 my BP got higher and my headaches were even worse. I am monitoring my BP ans will see what she says about the cardiologist taking me off as I think my pressure would have been too low if I stayed on them. Just wanted your insight. Thanks..... Candy

• Posted

hi michael, how are you doing now?

I recently stopped 9 days ago & I still feel bad.

• Posted

I stopped taking amlodipine 14 days ago,due to swollen feet.

The swelling as not gone down yet, but hope it will soon.

• Posted

It will go down. That's one thing I have noticed. It happened around the 2week mark for me. How long had you been on amlodipine? I was on it for about 2 1/2 years.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.