How long to the side effects last after stopping Amlodipine

Posted , 30 users are following.

Please can anyone tell me how long do the side effects of Amlodipine last after stopping them. I stopped them 8 days ago and each day until three days ago I felt a bit better but the last couple of days I have been feeling bad again, not as bad as before but still bad.

I keep getting a feeling of dread like I am going to die or something terrible is going to happen it's awful.

Other side effects I have but are reducing are headaches, pain in my head, like a tight band round my head, palpitations, feeling sick, spaced out and feeling like I am not here, can't think straight, fuzzy eyes and loads more.

If someone could help me it would be great.

Pat 

0 likes, 39 replies

39 Replies

Prev
  • Edited

Thank you.  I'll take that as sound advice, and maybe just take a little - over time - to soften the blow to my system.
    • Edited

Michael, we're not medics on here and I think rather than just "take Amlodipine a little over time",  it would be best for you to speak to your GP.  If you read Mike's post above, he comments that his pharmacist has said it is not necessary to wean off Amlodipine.  You only stopped it a few days ago so, having been on it for a number of years, your body is probably trying to adjust to life without it.  If your blood pressure is high, you will need to replace the Amlodipine with another medication.   So do check with your GP.
  • Posted

I'm sorry that this isn't really relevant to your question but I've been taking Labetalol since I delivered my child 3 months ago and I have felt these same symptoms particularly the spaced out and feeling like I'm not there. And it has been so hard for me to express how I'm feeling to anyone because no one really understands. My doctor told me I was ready to get off this medicine and I haven't taken it in a couple days but still feel a little weird..hopefully that stops and hopefully your side effects stop as well. It doesn't seem like these side effects would really affect a person the way they do but obviously they do. I hate it for the both of us but in a sense feel slightly relieved that I'm not the only one really tortured by those side effects. I wish you luck!!

• Posted

katie88357...a couple of days really isn't long enough. You were  taking those meds for a couple of months...so a few days won't really make much difference. Give it a little more time...say even a few weeks, then see how it goes. If you still don't feel as you should by then, perhaps you should consult your Dr.

• Posted

Whoa! Thanks for the post! just got back from the hospital because my dr sent me there thinking i was having a heart attack with all the same symptoms you just described. I told these drs its amlo side effects but no one listens. I will be going off these meds and hope to feel ok soon. I know this was an old post and was wondering how you made out? all the best Pat.

Pat lol

• Posted

I was on amlodipine for almost 3 months. Stopped cold turkey without docs knowledge (because he thought all my side effects were because I read the side effects to see what if any this medication had on my breathing issues) turned out they did. But the withdraw effects came on 7 days after my last dose. My pressure shot up to the point it scared me back on them. Luckily when I called the docs office my doc was out on holiday. The other Doc put me on a diffrent regiment of blood pressure meds. I'm trying like all heck to lose weight and get off of these things a.s.a.p.!

worst mistake I ever been talked into was going on these B.P. Meds to begin with.

any newbie's reading this blog response try everything you can do to stay off these B.P. Meds as possible. Don't fall for it. That is unless it totally medically necessary for your health. They do work and they will help but the side effects are just plain crazy.

i sincerely hope all that read this blog post response get better and are able to remain medication free. 

• Posted

hi pat--i just got back from my dr and he basically discounted what i tried to tell him about the side effects of the bp drugs he put me on--coversyl plus 4mg-- i am still off them as my sister-in-law called me out of the blue for advice about the panic and anxiety she was feeling after just starting the same drug--we connected the dots and realized that it had to be the drugs and not some failing on our part--my question to the group is as well as the anxiety,doom and depression feelings,i have what seems to be GERD -with severe morning nausea and anxiety(they seem to arrive together and leave together--i am taking pantoprazole for that and it seems to be helping--i would love to know if anyone else developed GERD after taking coversyl.i apologize for the length of this letter guys, but one more comment--i also got what appears to be a yeast infection(balanitis)(im a male) and i put that down as a product of the severe and debilitating anxiety attack abut i notice other writers have talke about weird rashes and symptoms--anyone else had symptoms like these come within a week or two of taking this cursed drug?
  • Posted

Hi Pat:

I wish I knew.  I only took amlodipine 5 days and legs and eyelids swelled and are still swollen after 10 days.

• Posted

My Doctor prescribed Amlodipine to me on April 10th and I experienced severe swelling in my legs from below the knee to the ankles and feet swelling by about two weeks later. It would be gone when I woke in the morning and swell again in the afternoon or early evening, every day. It was painful and my legs felt hard as rocks. Then I noticed a mottling red, blotchy appearance on the lower legs. I should have contacted my Doctor right away about this most uncomfortable side effect but I waited to see whether the side effect would subside. After being on the Amlodipine for 53 days, my Doctor switched me to Perindopril on June 3rd. I noticed that the leg swelling finally stopped by June 14th. My Doctor sent me for blood tests on June 1st, while I was still on the Amlodipine, and my liver enzymes were all over the place, high readings in white blood count too. High iron. My blood tests have always been good in the past so I attribute those high liver enzyme readings and the high white blood count to the Amlodipine as well. I am going for another set of tests this week, about 56 days after being off the Amlodipine, so I'll have a better idea on this. I believe that it takes a couple of weeks for side effects to abate from this drug. After all the horrible side effects I've read that people have experienced, I believe this drug should be taken off the market! I was lucky to have only had my lower legs swell. If you have uncomfortable side effects from any drug, you should tell your Doctor right away and not wait and suffer. There are many drugs out there that are for the same ailment so why stick with one that you suffer on? You have been off it for 8 days at the time of this post so another week and you should be okay, but if I were you, I would talk with the Doctor about all the symptoms you are experiencing to be on the safe side. I hope this helps you. I've just seen that your post was from 5 years ago, but maybe my post can still help someone..... 😃

• Posted

Hi Pat,

so far it has been 10 days off Amlodipine and i am still experiencing side effects. I was only on this med for 4 weeks at 5mg dosage and still feeling the wrath. mostly for me cramping, aches and pains, lightheaded, nauseous, numbness, hard to swallow, legs unsteady and weak at times, blurred vision, chest pain, tight chest, sudden sweating, back pain, malaise..

not every symptom everyday but combination of several a day. this stuff is awful and not sure why any doctor would prescribe it. after 3-4 weeks on it i had an appt with my doctor and told him some of the symptoms and he told me to stick with the plan a while longer (i was also weaning off bupropion which i was only on for 4 weeks) so he thought that could be causing my side effects. after 1 more week on Amlo and 4 weeks off bupropion i was convinced it was the Amlo causing these . first 3-4 days were not bad but from the 4-10th day i have good and bad days. i hope it is gone from my system soon as living life feeling like this everyday is not a happy life.

• Posted

hi dave, how are you now? im in my second week of withdrawal and the lethargy and tiredness is uncanny. I hope it resolves soon

• Edited

I was prescribed the Amlodipine 5mg once a day due to high blood pressure with Daflon and compression stocking after giving birth (130-140/80-90). After 5 days, out of balance. Then shortness of breath, high heart rate and anxiety. BP became normal (110-120/80). My Cardio decreased dosage to half a tablet a day (2.5mg) after 1 month. Out of balance and shortness of breath happens in the afternoon if i am tired or have anxiety. BP still normal (120/80). Cardio decreased dosage to 1/4 tablet (1.25mg) after 2 months to taper. No shortness of breath, normal heart rate, no out of balance. After 4 months, stopped taking amlodipine. However, had withdrawal symptom. Shortness of breath. On the 10th day, shortness of breath was the worst but bp and heart rate are normal. I thought of giving in and take the amlodipine again but was thinking that the amlodipine will go out of my system after 12 days. i focused on God. On the 11th day, shortness of breath is gone. I feel ok now. Thank you, God!

• Posted

The good thing about the drug is that it stops me worrying about my blood pressure and it is certainly better for me than Ramipril which was absolutely dreadful.

• Posted

i sincerely hope all that read this blog post response get better and are able to remain medication free.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.