How long was you off work following knee replacement surgery?

Posted , 22 users are following.

Hi, I am due to have my right knee replaced in 2 weeks time. I have heard different stories from different people about the time I will be off work after my op?, ranging from 6 weeks to 6 months!!!

obviously I know it's an individual thing, but generally can you give me your experiences?

i am a staff nurse on a busy ward and most days I don't even get a break!! Any nurses had it done???

0 likes, 34 replies

34 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Seven weeks for me. I teach and would try to do as much sitting as I could. Half an hour of standing at a time would be enough. I would ice it half way through the day as well. It's actually not about just the knee by that stage. The joint is actually solid, it's the whole leg and the swelling around the knee. The whole leg would get very tired. From ankle to half way up the thigh. I don't think I could have worked on a busy ward at seven weeks.
    • Posted

Thank you Gloria, I don't think I will be back at work after 7 weeks either!! Thank you for your advice though will bear it in mind! xx
  • Posted

I am a midwife and had TKR last December. Because of the nature of my job,I had almost 6months off sick and am still on phased return.
    • Posted

Wow that's huge Nicky. May I ask what symptoms u still have at 6 months? I function quite well at 3 months but it is uncomfortable with tightness and stiffness. No marathon running etc of course. I still lightly medicate and find nights a bother if I can't take something stronger.
  • Posted

I am due to have my knee replaced in approx 7 weeks and I have been told I need to have 3 months off work and I am in a job where I am sitting down most of the time. Good luck x
  • Posted

My ROM isn't great,the joint clunks as it moves and  I still have ?ligament pain(burning and pinching),although USS and X-ray  show nothing abnormal :0(
    • Posted

How else could u describe burning and pinching nicky? Could u also describe it as a rubber band constricting the flesh/ skin around your knee? Or severe discomfort at times to do withe the skin and flesh around your knee joint?
    • Posted

The burning/pinching feels like a nerve being being caught. The constriction you describe is exactly how the whole knee feels.
  • Posted

Hi 

I had TKR 12 weeks ago and am still off. I have swelling at back of knee which needs further investigation. I have a follow up with surgeon in August so until then am not allowed back.

Like you i also work in a hospital albeit Im not a medic i work in procurement so spend a lot of my time on my feet walking on wards and in Theatres. 

I find standing too long my leg gets tired and equally sitting it goes stiff .Occupational health rang me re my return to work and have suggested phased return also the hours i have to agree with my manager .

Good luck with your operation and stay positive .

• Posted

Thank you Pegs girl, sorry you are having a few issues with your new knee? Hope time helps with the recovery process for you?

Thank you for replying, I do appreciate hearing others experiences!! xx

• Posted

I've just had my 3 month post op TKR check. It seems that my return to work at 7 weeks, my bend and my stretch is better than average. I asked about the patches of swelling, the heat it still gives off, the tiredness of whole leg with bouts of standing, the numbness of patches in whole leg, the tight constricting rubber band feeling of knee which is constant but very much worse at night, the stiffness after sitting and sleeping and he said this was pretty normal and could last 8-12 months. I wanted stronger meds for night time use but he was loathe to give it so I got it from a GP. I know how I feel after all. I also asked about how the pain etc of a TKR compares with something like a hip replacement and was told it is much worse so that's good to know as it justifies feeling so much pain at the time. All in all I feel much better knowing that the continuing discomfort despite no pain any more, is normal!! Hope this helps others to feel better about what they are going through. So the good thing for me is that there is an end to the discomfort down the track
    • Posted

Thank you Gloria, that's amazing you went back to work after 7 weeks!!! Good luck with the next few months and thank you for replying.
    • Posted

gloria. I have just read your post after beeing off work for 6 weeks and beeing frustrated and a little guilty for not feeling that I am up to going back yet. Your description of what went on with you matches what is going on with me exactly and much more eloquently described that I am able. Thank you so much
    • Posted

hi Biggus, I am 9 weeks and stil off. I am a teaching assistant and consultant said to be off a minimum of 12 weeks as i am on my feet all day. I know at the moment I could not go back and stand all day, hopefully in a few weeks all will be better. best wishes fr your recovery.
    • Posted

Hi Sue- I've just read your post from 5 months ago and wondering how you got on , when did you return to work and how you've coped once there? I am having a knee replacement in 3 weeks time and I am a full time teaching assistant in a reception class- 4-5 year olds! I want to help out school as much as possible by giving a realistic prediction so they can arrange a temporary replacement for me.

Any advice gratefully received!

Thanks

• Posted

I would say at least 12 weeks if not longer. I am 12 weeks this week and still having problems standing, walking and sitting, at home you can take pain relief and hang yourself upside down (have tried all positions to relieve the dull throbbing and aching!) to relieve the pain and aching but would be difficult to do in a class of 5 year olds i am guessing!

I am back to the consultant early November and at the moment feeling I am going to be off probably until the end of November as progress is so slow and get so tired.

Good luck with your op, hope it goes well.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.