How long was you off work following knee replacement surgery?

Posted , 22 users are following.

Hi, I am due to have my right knee replaced in 2 weeks time. I have heard different stories from different people about the time I will be off work after my op?, ranging from 6 weeks to 6 months!!!

obviously I know it's an individual thing, but generally can you give me your experiences?

i am a staff nurse on a busy ward and most days I don't even get a break!! Any nurses had it done???

0 likes, 34 replies

34 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

10 weeks. Planning on going back at 12 weeks with phased return. Can already tell you it is not going to work. Severe pain still and even worse after pt. I will go back and most likely be put on longer disability but work is pressuring me.
  • Posted

I had a left TKR and I have been off work for almost 4 months.  Due to scar tissue I have had difficulty gaining both flexion and extnesion. I narrowly dodged have a manipulation under anesthesia. I continue to go to PT, and have pain walking which radiates down my lower leg (feels almost like shin splits) and causes my ankle to ache. As we all seem to agree the nights are the worse.  One of the issues for me before surgery was I had a 25 degree bend in my knee from arthritis and scar tissue. I was told to put off surgery as long as possible.  In hindsight I don't think that was the right choice. I work as an RN in a busy PACU. For 18 months I limped as the pain the deformity in my knee progressed.  I am conflicted as my 4 months LOA is up, and I don't feel like I can do my job.  My surgeon is now referring me to my PCP for any extension of my leave of absence and care.  This just does not seem appropriate.

I am scheduled to return to work in 4 days, unless I get an extension.  As if the knee is enough to deal with, I am faced with the bureaucracy.  Any suggestions?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.