How long will cheekbone swelling take to go

Posted , 31 users are following.

Two weeks ago I got hit in the face and had a black eye and swollen cheek. The bruising is gone but there is still a bit of swelling on my cheek. How long will it be before I am back to normal. I saw my doc two days ago and he said its not fractured or anything but I thought that when the bruising went I would be back to normal and I am quite worried.

10 likes, 53 replies

53 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I had a similar issue about 10 years ago. I was hit just below my eye with a softball. Doctors determined that a few small pieces of bone were chipped but nothing too bad. The swelling lasted for weeks and of course I had a very black eye but eventually it all went down. What I did notice over time though was a little swelling if the weather changed, although I don't think anyone else could see it. About two years ago it pretty much quit swelling all together. Best wishes. 
  • Posted

Hi Blotty, How did you get on in time. Yesterday my horse kicked me in my face getting me across my cheekbone and pushing my tooth through my lip. I went Aand E. Its not fractured just very bruised. I am also getting ear ache. I was wondering if anyone else had this. It is so painfull.  I have fractured a few bones in the past and this feels the same, but they said it ok.

• Posted

I got hit this morning on the cheekbone - was throwing a piece of lumber into a loft and it bounced off the door, hit me square on the side of my face, missedtop of my head and eye thank goodness as I had cataract surgery and don't want to even imagine that nightmare if I had injured by eye...but have a small gash, no headache or blurred vision thank goodness...so far so good but lots of swelling

• Posted

I was drunk and I had everyone punch me in the face and my right side of cheek is swollen I've noticed it has healed because before my face was droopy it was like super big so

It just takes time I haven't been icing it but I have been taking care of it

• Posted

Hello. I use to be a boxer. And I have had at least 15 black eyes in my right eye. Have not had a black eye in over 8 years and my right eye is still noticeably more puffed up then my left. This bothers me and I have searched but found no one similar (to the amount of time) or solution for it... fml
  • Posted

Almost 2 weeks ago I tripped on a curb running across an asphalt walkway. I came down on the asphalt on my extended right elbow and the right side of my face. I sustained a broken arm one inch above the albow and the right side of my face swelled up so much that it closed my eye. That went down enough for my eye to open. The area of my face that turned black has gone down a little, but plenty of it is still black. Have you heard of a surgical tehnique to get blood out of the tissues? Based on your experience, how long will it take for my face to appear sort of normal?
  • Posted

Hi there, I just wondered how long after did you swelling eventually go down?  I was punched in the face two weeks ago and I still have hard tender spot, which is still quite swollen.  I am trying all sorts to get it down.  Interested to know if your's ever improved?

• Posted

Hi, I was wondering if you still have a hard tender spot and swelling? I was punched 3 times in the face. I also think I banged my head. I have a hard tender lump on the tip of my cheekbone. I've also  started getting pain in my head. I was checked out at the time and told it was just bruising. Hope you're feeling better

• Posted

Hi there, it has been 5 months know since the incident.  I was punched twice in the cheek and was knocked unconscious!  I had scans etc and all were normal at the time.  The swelling took four weeks to go down, but I now have a permanent lump also in my checkbone.  Although others cannot tell, one cheek is slightly larger than the other and I now have a crooked smile.  It feels like there is something lodged in my cheekbone and it becomes sensitive with hot and cold water.  I am having regular headaches, so I will be going to a plastic surgeon to see what permanent damage has been done.
    • Posted

You developed a hematoma which will go away with time. Just keep massaging it with lotion or massage oil on your fingers.
  • Posted

August 2016, I had a bicycling accident where the right side of my face slammed into the concrete when my bicycle hit a mud patch. It was very black blue yellow purple Etc. 

My cheekbone right under my eye still is swollen and tender everyday. People only "really"notice if I point it out, but it still bothers me. Ocuplastic physician has no idea what, if anything, can be done :-(

• Posted

In my case, the swelling and discoloration wen down quite a lot over the first 3 weeks. During that time I had one procedure in which a small cut was made on my face and a lot of blood and black clotted blood was squeezed out. Another time I had some of the same removed through a needle and syringe. Now, 6 monts after the accident there is no discolorization and just a tiny bump on my face. If you did not know it was there you would not see it.

• Posted

I have swelling on my face due to injury. Icing has not helped much. I have read that raw potato works well, so I will try that tomorrow. 
  • Posted

It's been 31/2 months since I hit the left side of my face. The large swelling and bruising went away quickly, but I developed a hematoma inside under the skin on my cheek. That has since gone away, but I still have some slight swelling on my left cheek. It's only noticeable to me and I'm hoping it will soon go down. That sounds like what you are dealing with also. Give it some time. If mine doesn't soon go away, I will go see the doctor again. Maybe you should do the same.

• Posted

I'm in the same situation as you guys and have been looking for a solution to it. I got punched on the jaw around 4 months ago and on my right jaw where I got hit is still a hard stiff spot. Has anyone have success in reverting the swelling back to normal? Did anyone else try getting the "knot" removed through different means? maybe plastic surgery or through "sucking" out the blood knot from the spot? Any help would be appreciated as I already visited my TMJ doctor and had x-ray scans which proved that everything was fine however the swollen spot is still there. sad

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.